Neighbors have wireless..maybe causing problems for my wir..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 3, 2005 12:19:07 PM

Hi there,

Checking for 'available networks' (XP) reveals that some of my neighbors
must have added wireless over the holidays..and I'm noticing that my own
wireless connection (Linksys 802.11b) is prone to dropping the connection
(even though I've identified it as the one to search and automatically
connect to).

The signal strength from some of these new networks looks as strong as my
own network..could they be causing problems for my own wireless network?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
January 3, 2005 8:29:44 PM

"Crewe Dave" <CreweDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Checking for 'available networks' (XP) reveals that some of my neighbors
> must have added wireless over the holidays..and I'm noticing that my own
> wireless connection (Linksys 802.11b) is prone to dropping the connection
> (even though I've identified it as the one to search and automatically
> connect to).
>
> The signal strength from some of these new networks looks as strong as my
> own network..could they be causing problems for my own wireless network?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Dave

Maybe, have you tried using a different channel IIRC 1, 6 or 11 (non
overlapping channels) give the best connection.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 3, 2005 8:29:45 PM

Tony - thanks - changing the channel - best accomplished through the router
interface window in IE? It's been a while since I set this up...

Appreciate the help.

Dave

"Tony" wrote:

> "Crewe Dave" <CreweDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Checking for 'available networks' (XP) reveals that some of my neighbors
> > must have added wireless over the holidays..and I'm noticing that my own
> > wireless connection (Linksys 802.11b) is prone to dropping the connection
> > (even though I've identified it as the one to search and automatically
> > connect to).
> >
> > The signal strength from some of these new networks looks as strong as my
> > own network..could they be causing problems for my own wireless network?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Maybe, have you tried using a different channel IIRC 1, 6 or 11 (non
> overlapping channels) give the best connection.

January 4, 2005 12:19:11 AM

> Tony - thanks - changing the channel - best accomplished through the
> router
> interface window in IE? It's been a while since I set this up...
>
> Appreciate the help.
>
> Dave

Yes you will have to log into the router and find where the channel is set.
PC's should automatically sense the change.
!