Boot problem with A8V

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2004 4:10:55 PM

Hello,

I have an Athlon64 3500+ on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard. Also in the
setup is 2X512mg of ram, an ATI X800Pro graphics card, one sata 10k Raptor
configured as the boot drive, two Sata 160gig Seagate drive striped as RAID
0, one LG 4120b DVD burner and one Samsung Combo drive.

I recently put this system together and it seemed to run ok without much
problem. However, I did think the CPU temps were a bit high - up 59c doing
DivX encoding. When I tried to boot the sytem up this morning there was
nothing reporting in the boot mode, nothing on the screen and no beep. The
hard drive light remained on and that was it. I took of the back, all fans
seemed be be working however, still no boot.

I did upgrade to the latest bios a couple of days ago so I don't know if
this has anything to do with it. I thought that if it was hard drive
problems at least I'd be getting an initial report in the bios screen.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Shane

More about : boot problem a8v

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2004 4:10:56 PM

I had a similar problem to yours after upgrading my A8V with BIOS 1007, dame
thing wouldn't switch on. I removed the cmos battery, left it out for a
couple of minutes, re-installed it and bingo, all working again except I
needed to reset all my BIOS settings.
Give that a try.

"no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an Athlon64 3500+ on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard. Also in the
> setup is 2X512mg of ram, an ATI X800Pro graphics card, one sata 10k Raptor
> configured as the boot drive, two Sata 160gig Seagate drive striped as
> RAID 0, one LG 4120b DVD burner and one Samsung Combo drive.
>
> I recently put this system together and it seemed to run ok without much
> problem. However, I did think the CPU temps were a bit high - up 59c
> doing DivX encoding. When I tried to boot the sytem up this morning there
> was nothing reporting in the boot mode, nothing on the screen and no beep.
> The hard drive light remained on and that was it. I took of the back, all
> fans seemed be be working however, still no boot.
>
> I did upgrade to the latest bios a couple of days ago so I don't know if
> this has anything to do with it. I thought that if it was hard drive
> problems at least I'd be getting an initial report in the bios screen.
>
> Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2004 9:36:55 AM

You're right about bios 1007. I removed the battery and was able to reboot.
Problem is that the bios will not save and the problem repeats itself and I
have to again remove the battery to get something on the screen. I don't
have a boot floppy installed and I need at least some function in the bios
to boot to the Asus installation CD to reinstall an earlier bios. I have to
go out now so I will have to come back to this later. :(
Using a different computer to type this of course.

Shane
"Ritchie Stephenson" <ritchie.stephenson.NO_SPAM.Please@dsl.pipex.com> wrote
in message news:41676662$0$29936$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>I had a similar problem to yours after upgrading my A8V with BIOS 1007,
>dame thing wouldn't switch on. I removed the cmos battery, left it out for
>a couple of minutes, re-installed it and bingo, all working again except I
>needed to reset all my BIOS settings.
> Give that a try.
>
> "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an Athlon64 3500+ on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard. Also in the
>> setup is 2X512mg of ram, an ATI X800Pro graphics card, one sata 10k
>> Raptor configured as the boot drive, two Sata 160gig Seagate drive
>> striped as RAID 0, one LG 4120b DVD burner and one Samsung Combo drive.
>>
>> I recently put this system together and it seemed to run ok without much
>> problem. However, I did think the CPU temps were a bit high - up 59c
>> doing DivX encoding. When I tried to boot the sytem up this morning
>> there was nothing reporting in the boot mode, nothing on the screen and
>> no beep. The hard drive light remained on and that was it. I took of the
>> back, all fans seemed be be working however, still no boot.
>>
>> I did upgrade to the latest bios a couple of days ago so I don't know if
>> this has anything to do with it. I thought that if it was hard drive
>> problems at least I'd be getting an initial report in the bios screen.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shane

a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2004 2:41:00 PM

In article <41683dcc$0$20125$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
nospam@hotmail.com (no spam) wrote:

> You're right about bios 1007. I removed the battery and was able to
> reboot. Problem is that the bios will not save and the problem repeats
> itself and I have to again remove the battery to get something on the
> screen. I don't have a boot floppy installed and I need at least some
> function in the bios to boot to the Asus installation CD to reinstall
> an earlier bios. I have to go out now so I will have to come back to
> this later. :(
> Using a different computer to type this of course.
>
> Shane
> "Ritchie Stephenson" <ritchie.stephenson.NO_SPAM.Please@dsl.pipex.com>
> > wrote in message news:41676662$0$29936$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> >I had a similar problem to yours after upgrading my A8V with BIOS
> 1007, >dame thing wouldn't switch on. I removed the cmos battery, left
> it out for >a couple of minutes, re-installed it and bingo, all working
> again except I >needed to reset all my BIOS settings.
> > Give that a try.
> >
> > "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an Athlon64 3500+ on an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard. Also
> > in the >setup is 2X512mg of ram, an ATI X800Pro graphics card, one
> > sata 10k >Raptor configured as the boot drive, two Sata 160gig
> > Seagate drive >striped as RAID 0, one LG 4120b DVD burner and one
> > Samsung Combo drive.
> >>
> >> I recently put this system together and it seemed to run ok without
> > much >problem. However, I did think the CPU temps were a bit high -
> > up 59c >doing DivX encoding. When I tried to boot the sytem up this
> > morning >there was nothing reporting in the boot mode, nothing on the
> > screen and >no beep. The hard drive light remained on and that was
> > it. I took of the >back, all fans seemed be be working however,
> > still no boot.
> >>
> >> I did upgrade to the latest bios a couple of days ago so I don't
> > know if >this has anything to do with it. I thought that if it was
> > hard drive >problems at least I'd be getting an initial report in the
> > bios screen.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Shane

I've had no problems with upgrading to 1007. Although it hasn't met the
claim that it stops problems with USB card readers on my set up.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 7:00:45 AM

I had to install a floppy drive into my setup then boot to a floppy and
using the dos utility flashed back to the previous bios 1006. I can now
boot my machine into Windows!

I would caution anyone updating to bios 1007 and perhaps wait for a later
bios.

Thanks,
Shane
"John Hollingsworth" <jwh@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <41683dcc$0$20125$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> nospam@hotmail.com (no spam) wrote:
>
>> You're right about bios 1007. I removed the battery and was able to
>> reboot. Problem is that the bios will not save and the problem repeats
>> itself and I have to again remove the battery to get something on the
>> screen. I don't have a boot floppy installed and I need at least some
>> function in the bios to boot to the Asus installation CD to reinstall
>> an earlier bios. I have to go out now so I will have to come back to
>> this later. :(
>> Using a different computer to type this of course.
>>
>> Shane
>> "Ritchie Stephenson" <ritchie.stephenson.NO_SPAM.Please@dsl.pipex.com>
>> > wrote in message news:41676662$0$29936$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> >I had a similar problem to yours after upgrading my A8V with BIOS
>> 1007, >dame thing wouldn't switch on. I removed the cmos battery, left
>> it out for >a couple of minutes, re-installed it and bingo, all working
>> again except I >needed to reset all my BIOS settings.
>> > Give that a try.
>> >
>> > "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > in the >setup is 2X512mg of ram, an ATI X800Pro graphics card, one
>> > sata 10k >Raptor configured as the boot drive, two Sata 160gig
>> > Seagate drive >striped as RAID 0, one LG 4120b DVD burner and one
>> > Samsung Combo drive.

>> > much >problem. However, I did think the CPU temps were a bit high -
>> > up 59c >doing DivX encoding. When I tried to boot the sytem up this
>> > morning >there was nothing reporting in the boot mode, nothing on the
>> > screen and >no beep. The hard drive light remained on and that was
>> > it. I took of the >back, all fans seemed be be working however,
>> > still no boot.

>> > know if >this has anything to do with it. I thought that if it was
>> > hard drive >problems at least I'd be getting an initial report in the
>> > bios screen.

> I've had no problems with upgrading to 1007. Although it hasn't met the
> claim that it stops problems with USB card readers on my set up.
>
> John
>
> Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 6:36:00 PM

In article <41696ab8$0$23894$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
nospam@hotmail.com (no spam) wrote:

> I had to install a floppy drive into my setup then boot to a floppy and
> using the dos utility flashed back to the previous bios 1006. I can
> now boot my machine into Windows!
>
> I would caution anyone updating to bios 1007 and perhaps wait for a
> later bios.

Many would say don't update if you don't need to!!

I updated because in 1006, connecting the USB card reader puts the idle
CPU temp from ~36degC to 50deg C. So there is some nasty interaction I
think with the temp sensor rather than the actual CPU activity. 1007
didn't cure it as hinted by the 1007 details panel on the Asus site.

John

Please Remove move "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
!