Cingular "Extend" / Other towers ?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 25, 2004 5:02:48 PM

I have a GSM phone, questions:

1. what does "Cingular Extend" on the display mean?

2. some folks have mentioned that they can detect when they are
using someone else's network. How can I tell when that's happening
and who's network it is?

3. Since Cingular allegedly shares with AT&T (New England Area) does
that mean that I get coverage anywhere Cingular *or* AT&T has
coverage?

Thanks,

More about : cingular extend towers

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 5:02:49 PM

In article <oh8od0t4atsgoc1n6gbs40emrmkh1rt9e2@4ax.com>,
Jimmy <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote:

> 1. what does "Cingular Extend" on the display mean?

See below.

> 2. some folks have mentioned that they can detect when they are
> using someone else's network. How can I tell when that's happening
> and who's network it is?

Your phone says "Cingular Extend".

You can't tell whose network it is. For the purposes of your account,
it's Cingular's network and whatever your contract says about the
"Cingular Extend" feature will determine how you're billed for using the
phone at that time.

> 3. Since Cingular allegedly shares with AT&T (New England Area) does
> that mean that I get coverage anywhere Cingular *or* AT&T has
> coverage?

No.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 6:04:42 PM

In most GSM networks when you roam on another network the phone will
display the network you are on. However Cingular's SIM cards override
the "Alpha Tag" so all you see is "Cingular Extend" . To answer your
question, you can tell when your on someone elses network, you just
can't tell what network it is. I'm actually have an idea that might
disable this, but its still too early for me to really say. As for as
Cingular and At&t, NO. There are roaming agreements that allow Cingular
customers to roam on At&t and T-mobile's network, but this is only for
specified areas and in some cases specified towers.

Jimmy wrote:
> I have a GSM phone, questions:
>
> 1. what does "Cingular Extend" on the display mean?
>
> 2. some folks have mentioned that they can detect when they are
> using someone else's network. How can I tell when that's happening
> and who's network it is?
>
> 3. Since Cingular allegedly shares with AT&T (New England Area) does
> that mean that I get coverage anywhere Cingular *or* AT&T has
> coverage?
>
> Thanks,

June 25, 2004 6:38:02 PM

>There are roaming agreements that allow Cingular
>customers to roam on At&t and T-mobile's network, but this is only for
>specified areas and in some cases specified towers.

Can you point me to a source for this information?

--
John S.
June 25, 2004 7:07:11 PM

Just wait one second don't I count as a source? After all I did help
execute some of the Texas contracts. Ok, don't take my word for it. Let
me ask you something, do you even read the news?. Until recently
Cingular customers in New York used T-mobile's network and T-mobile
customers used Cingular's network in California and Nevada all under a
roaming agreement(see sources). Now they are swapping spectrum and plan
terminate the roaming agreement. This is a just one example. The
agreements I have seen are much much smaller agreements for areas like
East Texas.

Sources:
http://www.troyrecord.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11803592...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/cingular_tmobil...

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Cingu...

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/loc...

John S. wrote:
>>There are roaming agreements that allow Cingular
>>customers to roam on At&t and T-mobile's network, but this is only for
>>specified areas and in some cases specified towers.
>

> Can you point me to a source for this information?
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
June 25, 2004 7:52:17 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:04:42 GMT, "R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com>
wrote:

>There are roaming agreements that allow Cingular
>customers to roam on At&t and T-mobile's network, but this is only for
>specified areas and in some cases specified towers.

So, if I get this, you are saying that the agreements cover specific
areas or towers but that they don't execute locally global agreements?
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 10:57:25 PM

>The
>agreements I have seen are much much smaller agreements for areas like
>East Texas.

I live in East Texas and the coverage isn't interchangale at home.

--
John S.
June 25, 2004 10:59:59 PM

>Sources:
>
>http://www.troyrecord.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11803592...
dept_id=226964&rfi=6

_Wireless_Spectrum_in______Billion_Deal&story_id=24229

>http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/loc...

These all deal with the agreements between Cingular and T-Mobile and nothing
addressing the Cinguar AT&T WS roaming agreement that supposedly has been
signed nationwide.

At this point I am going to have to think it is yet another "Urban Legend" and
has no basis in fact!

--
John S.
June 26, 2004 1:13:52 AM

TIME OUT!!! Back up a second, I think there has been a miscommunication.
In no way did I mean to suggest that there was a "Nationwide" roaming
agreement. I'm simply trying to show that in some *select* areas there
are roaming agreements, but NOT Nationwide.

John S. wrote:

> These all deal with the agreements between Cingular and T-Mobile and nothing
> addressing the Cinguar AT&T WS roaming agreement that supposedly has been
> signed nationwide.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 1:22:34 AM

Nationwide roaming agreement on TDMA/AMPS/GSM as the primary roaming partner
before T-Mobile.

Chris

"R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message
> TIME OUT!!! Back up a second, I think there has been a miscommunication.
> In no way did I mean to suggest that there was a "Nationwide" roaming
> agreement. I'm simply trying to show that in some *select* areas there
> are roaming agreements, but NOT Nationwide.
>
> John S. wrote:
>
> > These all deal with the agreements between Cingular and T-Mobile and
nothing
> > addressing the Cinguar AT&T WS roaming agreement that supposedly has
been
> > signed nationwide.

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 3:11:52 AM

In article <40DC3105.8000209@usenetjunk.com>, usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com
says...
> the "Alpha Tag" so all you see is "Cingular Extend" . To answer your
> question, you can tell when your on someone elses network, you just
> can't tell what network it is. I'm actually have an idea that might
> disable this, but its still too early for me to really say. As for as
If you get a definite on your "idea that might disable this" let us
know. Ever once in awhile I will see another tag come up on my Nokia
6340i GAIT phone but it usually doesn't stay long before being replaced
with Cingular Extend. I for one would much rather see the carrier name
when "roaming" because sometimes it makes a difference as to which
features work--I may not "need" to know but I "want" to know :-)
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

"Jimmy" <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote in message
news:o h8od0t4atsgoc1n6gbs40emrmkh1rt9e2@4ax.com...
> I have a GSM phone, questions:
>
> 1. what does "Cingular Extend" on the display mean?
>
> 2. some folks have mentioned that they can detect when they are
> using someone else's network. How can I tell when that's happening
> and who's network it is?
>
> 3. Since Cingular allegedly shares with AT&T (New England Area) does
> that mean that I get coverage anywhere Cingular *or* AT&T has
> coverage?

I have the network I am on displayed on my phone,
Has always been that way on three different phones,
if I am on att, it says so.I always thought the cingular extend
tag I heard about was for non gsm people, because I have never
seen it.

I was told, and in three years it has held true, that if I am
in my local area, and I go onto anyone else's tower, I do NOT
pay roaming. Outside of my local area, all bets are off, of course.

Bernard
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 6:30:12 AM

When I still used my 6340i, I saw all these alpha tags: ATTWS, VoiceStream,
Einstein PCS, Iowa Wireless, USA 260, 320, 340, 380, Mexical (Mexican),
MicroCell (Canadian) and numerous others. All of them stayed up while I had
the their service.

Chris

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1b466cdf9a28ddd7989771@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <40DC3105.8000209@usenetjunk.com>, usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com
> says...
> > the "Alpha Tag" so all you see is "Cingular Extend" . To answer your
> > question, you can tell when your on someone elses network, you just
> > can't tell what network it is. I'm actually have an idea that might
> > disable this, but its still too early for me to really say. As for as
> If you get a definite on your "idea that might disable this" let us
> know. Ever once in awhile I will see another tag come up on my Nokia
> 6340i GAIT phone but it usually doesn't stay long before being replaced
> with Cingular Extend. I for one would much rather see the carrier name
> when "roaming" because sometimes it makes a difference as to which
> features work--I may not "need" to know but I "want" to know :-)
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 8:24:28 PM

In article <UApEc.521$8m6.122@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
noone@nowhere.nospam says...
> When I still used my 6340i, I saw all these alpha tags: ATTWS, VoiceStream,
> Einstein PCS, Iowa Wireless, USA 260, 320, 340, 380, Mexical (Mexican),
> MicroCell (Canadian) and numerous others. All of them stayed up while I had
> the their service.
I've seen VS and USA xxx (what are those anyway?) but they never stay up
more than a few minutes before "Cingular Extend" kicks in. Wonder what
the difference is/was? And you were on a "real" GAIT plan too weren't
you? What system was your "home" area? Seems like I got more roaming
alpha tags back when my home area was TDMA.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

I am in the Detroit market, but I go all over the US by 18 wheeler. The
USA's are US Cellular, a regional wireless carrier. It was the original
TDMA Nation plan that I kept when I got the 6340i before the GAIT Nation
plan that came with identical coverage. When I had a problem early on, the
CS rep wanted to change the alpha tag designator, but I talked her out of
it. These tags only showed up on GSM.

message news:MPG.1b4ca535c03a00d989778@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
!