ATAPI.sys Corrupt

Hi folks!

A quick question hoping someone has seen this situation before. My XP SP1
system is having a problem with the atapi.sys file becoming corrupted as
soon as it is placed in the system32\drivers directory. Have used both the
file that came with XP and with SP1 and have had the same situation.

The initial problem is going into device manager and into the ATA IDE
controllers section. When choosing driver details the atapi.sys is shown as
unsigned and has no information regarding version number, etc. Going
directly into the drivers directory shows the same - no version information
and unknown publisher.

Taking the updated (or original) atapi.sys file from the dll cache folder
which checks out correctly as a MS file and with proper version number and
copying it into the drivers file immediately changes it to unknown?

When trying to do the hotfix to upgrade the atapi.sys file the installer
gives an error regarding atapi.sys being in use and the only way to get it
to proceed is to physically remove the current atapi.sys file from the
drivers directory! Then it will install the newer file (with the correct
size and date) but shows it as unsigned and from an unknown source.

I have never seen this behavior before but feel it is causing some other
system problems (although the system does ran very stable). If anyone has
information about this please feel free to share. On an aside... this
system dual boots with W2K which does not exhibit this issue?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Len
5 answers Last reply
More about atapi corrupt

    Len, have you seen this

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331958&Product=WinXP

    "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks!
    >
    > A quick question hoping someone has seen this situation before. My XP SP1
    > system is having a problem with the atapi.sys file becoming corrupted as
    > soon as it is placed in the system32\drivers directory. Have used both
    the
    > file that came with XP and with SP1 and have had the same situation.
    >
    > The initial problem is going into device manager and into the ATA IDE
    > controllers section. When choosing driver details the atapi.sys is shown
    as
    > unsigned and has no information regarding version number, etc. Going
    > directly into the drivers directory shows the same - no version
    information
    > and unknown publisher.
    >
    > Taking the updated (or original) atapi.sys file from the dll cache folder
    > which checks out correctly as a MS file and with proper version number and
    > copying it into the drivers file immediately changes it to unknown?
    >
    > When trying to do the hotfix to upgrade the atapi.sys file the installer
    > gives an error regarding atapi.sys being in use and the only way to get it
    > to proceed is to physically remove the current atapi.sys file from the
    > drivers directory! Then it will install the newer file (with the correct
    > size and date) but shows it as unsigned and from an unknown source.
    >
    > I have never seen this behavior before but feel it is causing some other
    > system problems (although the system does ran very stable). If anyone has
    > information about this please feel free to share. On an aside... this
    > system dual boots with W2K which does not exhibit this issue?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    > Len

    Thanks for the response...

    Yes I did and have installed the fix or updated atapi.sys. The size and
    version number were spot on as was the original. However, even to install
    the fix I had to first remove the atapi.sys from the drivers folder as the
    installer for the fix could not turn it off or remove it!

    If I remove the atapi.sys file from the drivers directory and allow it to be
    automatically replaced from the dll cache folder all is well... Until I let
    it set for some time or restart the system. Then it goes back to the
    unknown publisher - unknown version properties page.

    In the meantime a friend and I have: replaced all of the drive data cables
    (hdd & optical) confirmed power readings from the PSU, disconnected each
    channel (primary, secondary, SATA and IDE Raid) individually to see if there
    removal would stop the corruption. No change on a reboot.

    It has truly got me stumped! Any further thoughts would be useful! Thanks!

    Len
    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Len, have you seen this

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331958&Product=WinXP

    > "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks!
    > >
    > > A quick question hoping someone has seen this situation before. My XP
    SP1
    > > system is having a problem with the atapi.sys file becoming corrupted as
    > > soon as it is placed in the system32\drivers directory. Have used both
    > the
    > > file that came with XP and with SP1 and have had the same situation.
    > >
    > > The initial problem is going into device manager and into the ATA IDE
    > > controllers section. When choosing driver details the atapi.sys is
    shown
    > as
    > > unsigned and has no information regarding version number, etc. Going
    > > directly into the drivers directory shows the same - no version
    > information
    > > and unknown publisher.
    > >
    > > Taking the updated (or original) atapi.sys file from the dll cache
    folder
    > > which checks out correctly as a MS file and with proper version number
    and
    > > copying it into the drivers file immediately changes it to unknown?
    > >
    > > When trying to do the hotfix to upgrade the atapi.sys file the installer
    > > gives an error regarding atapi.sys being in use and the only way to get
    it
    > > to proceed is to physically remove the current atapi.sys file from the
    > > drivers directory! Then it will install the newer file (with the
    correct
    > > size and date) but shows it as unsigned and from an unknown source.
    > >
    > > I have never seen this behavior before but feel it is causing some other
    > > system problems (although the system does ran very stable). If anyone
    has
    > > information about this please feel free to share. On an aside... this
    > > system dual boots with W2K which does not exhibit this issue?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    > > Len

    Len, what make and model Motherboard are you using?
    "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks!
    >
    > A quick question hoping someone has seen this situation before. My XP SP1
    > system is having a problem with the atapi.sys file becoming corrupted as
    > soon as it is placed in the system32\drivers directory. Have used both
    the
    > file that came with XP and with SP1 and have had the same situation.
    >
    > The initial problem is going into device manager and into the ATA IDE
    > controllers section. When choosing driver details the atapi.sys is shown
    as
    > unsigned and has no information regarding version number, etc. Going
    > directly into the drivers directory shows the same - no version
    information
    > and unknown publisher.
    >
    > Taking the updated (or original) atapi.sys file from the dll cache folder
    > which checks out correctly as a MS file and with proper version number and
    > copying it into the drivers file immediately changes it to unknown?
    >
    > When trying to do the hotfix to upgrade the atapi.sys file the installer
    > gives an error regarding atapi.sys being in use and the only way to get it
    > to proceed is to physically remove the current atapi.sys file from the
    > drivers directory! Then it will install the newer file (with the correct
    > size and date) but shows it as unsigned and from an unknown source.
    >
    > I have never seen this behavior before but feel it is causing some other
    > system problems (although the system does ran very stable). If anyone has
    > information about this please feel free to share. On an aside... this
    > system dual boots with W2K which does not exhibit this issue?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    > Len

    Hello Rich,

    Thanks for sticking with me on this one... Sorry for the delay - am working
    with attempts to learn Linux and have been in that OS for a time.

    My MB is an ASUS P4P800Dlx with a 2.4c CPU and 512MB of PC3500 DDR. Am
    running 3 OSs currently: XP Pro SP1, W2K SP4 and Mandrake Linux 10 with all
    RPMS. The only OS seeming to have an issue is XP - W2ks atapi.sys is not
    effected - Linux unfortunately I don't know enough about to check its
    equivalent.

    The fact that W2K appears uneffected tends to downgrade the HW problem
    possibility - but not illiminate it. Any thoughts would be useful!

    Thanks again,
    > Len, what make and model Motherboard are you using?
    > "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks!
    > >
    > > A quick question hoping someone has seen this situation before. My XP
    SP1
    > > system is having a problem with the atapi.sys file becoming corrupted as
    > > soon as it is placed in the system32\drivers directory. Have used both
    > the
    > > file that came with XP and with SP1 and have had the same situation.
    > >
    > > The initial problem is going into device manager and into the ATA IDE
    > > controllers section. When choosing driver details the atapi.sys is
    shown
    > as
    > > unsigned and has no information regarding version number, etc. Going
    > > directly into the drivers directory shows the same - no version
    > information
    > > and unknown publisher.
    > >
    > > Taking the updated (or original) atapi.sys file from the dll cache
    folder
    > > which checks out correctly as a MS file and with proper version number
    and
    > > copying it into the drivers file immediately changes it to unknown?
    > >
    > > When trying to do the hotfix to upgrade the atapi.sys file the installer
    > > gives an error regarding atapi.sys being in use and the only way to get
    it
    > > to proceed is to physically remove the current atapi.sys file from the
    > > drivers directory! Then it will install the newer file (with the
    correct
    > > size and date) but shows it as unsigned and from an unknown source.
    > >
    > > I have never seen this behavior before but feel it is causing some other
    > > system problems (although the system does ran very stable). If anyone
    has
    > > information about this please feel free to share. On an aside... this
    > > system dual boots with W2K which does not exhibit this issue?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    > > Len

    Here is my first question. Do you have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%
    installed? Those both lock up the atapi.sys file and cause problems
    with it. Second thing, you cannot just copy and paste over from the
    dllcache. What you want to do is to rename the atapi.sys file and then
    allow Windows to copy the file over. You will then have to reboot in
    order to have the new atapi.sys file take over.

    It just really sounds to me that you are using a CD Emulation program on
    your system and that has placed its own atapi.sys file in the system32
    folder :(

    Nathan McNulty

Windows XP