Installing new System Disk

I have installed a 'new' hard drive as the boot/system disk (Maxtor 200GB
ATA 133). Using Maxiblast 3 the original boot/system drive is copied to the
'new' drive as a slave, the slave master configuation is then switched. The
bios recognises the 'new' drive as HHD 0 (the PC boots and works fine) but
under Windows (Management) it shows as 'System ( I )'. I have tried to
rename the 'old' boot drive to from ' C ' but have been unsuccessful because
it contains a 'Page File'. I don't want to format the old boot drive until
I am satisfied that all my data was copied accross successfully.

I have tried the Mircrosoft work around for page file with no luck. Although
I asume that trying to rename the 'new' boot/system drive from I to C will
cause similar problems as this too will contain a 'Page File'.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Andy Claxton

Andy, the System Drive is the ONLY ONE you can't rename.
"Andy Claxton" <andy@REMOVE-SPAMclaxtons-home.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:cbmk2k$qv5$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I have installed a 'new' hard drive as the boot/system disk (Maxtor 200GB
> ATA 133). Using Maxiblast 3 the original boot/system drive is copied to
the
> 'new' drive as a slave, the slave master configuation is then switched.
The
> bios recognises the 'new' drive as HHD 0 (the PC boots and works fine) but
> under Windows (Management) it shows as 'System ( I )'. I have tried to
> rename the 'old' boot drive to from ' C ' but have been unsuccessful
because
> it contains a 'Page File'. I don't want to format the old boot drive
until
> I am satisfied that all my data was copied accross successfully.
>
> I have tried the Mircrosoft work around for page file with no luck.
Although
> I asume that trying to rename the 'new' boot/system drive from I to C will
> cause similar problems as this too will contain a 'Page File'.
>
> Any help would be grately appreciated.
>
> Andy Claxton

"Andy Claxton" <andy@REMOVE-SPAMclaxtons-home.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> I have installed a 'new' hard drive as the boot/system disk (Maxtor 200GB
> ATA 133). Using Maxiblast 3 the original boot/system drive is copied to
the
> 'new' drive as a slave, the slave master configuation is then switched.
The
> bios recognises the 'new' drive as HHD 0 (the PC boots and works fine) but
> under Windows (Management) it shows as 'System ( I )'. I have tried to
> rename the 'old' boot drive to from ' C ' but have been unsuccessful
because
> it contains a 'Page File'. I don't want to format the old boot drive
until
> I am satisfied that all my data was copied accross successfully.
>
> I have tried the Mircrosoft work around for page file with no luck.
Although
> I asume that trying to rename the 'new' boot/system drive from I to C will
> cause similar problems as this too will contain a 'Page File'.
----------------------------------
Andy
The registry of the new XP (I) uses many files of the original (C) XP.
(search C: in this I registry): Modifications of a system may corrupt the
other.
Use the Knowledge Base article Q223188
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188
to swap the letters C, I of the source volume and of the destination volume
in the registry of the destination volume in use ( I ).
( regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on volume,
choose rename C to Z, I to C, Z to I, reboot). Any other operation may
corrupt both systems.
To copy XP see http://perso.numericable.fr/gjullien/copy_xp.htm
Georges Jullien

Georges,

Thanks for your time and trouble in replying.

From the Maxtor instructions, which I read before I purchased the new HDD, I
thought it would be a simple process to replace my existing 'boot' drive.
As my system is working I will leave it as is until I have the time - and
inclination - to reinstall the applications.

If anyone from Maxtor checks Newsgroups for feedback they might want to
consider amending their instuctions.

Andy

"Georges Jullien" <nospamgrjullien@numericable.fr> wrote in message

> "Andy Claxton" <andy@REMOVE-SPAMclaxtons-home.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> > I have installed a 'new' hard drive as the boot/system disk (Maxtor
200GB
> > ATA 133). Using Maxiblast 3 the original boot/system drive is copied to
> the
> > 'new' drive as a slave, the slave master configuation is then switched.
> The
> > bios recognises the 'new' drive as HHD 0 (the PC boots and works fine)
but
> > under Windows (Management) it shows as 'System ( I )'. I have tried to
> > rename the 'old' boot drive to from ' C ' but have been unsuccessful
> because
> > it contains a 'Page File'. I don't want to format the old boot drive
> until
> > I am satisfied that all my data was copied accross successfully.
> >
> > I have tried the Mircrosoft work around for page file with no luck.
> Although
> > I asume that trying to rename the 'new' boot/system drive from I to C
will
> > cause similar problems as this too will contain a 'Page File'.
> ----------------------------------
> Andy
> The registry of the new XP (I) uses many files of the original (C) XP.
> (search C: in this I registry): Modifications of a system may corrupt the
> other.
> Use the Knowledge Base article Q223188
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188
> to swap the letters C, I of the source volume and of the destination
volume
> in the registry of the destination volume in use ( I ).
> ( regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on
volume,
> choose rename C to Z, I to C, Z to I, reboot). Any other operation may
> corrupt both systems.
> To copy XP see http://perso.numericable.fr/gjullien/copy_xp.htm
> Georges Jullien

TRENDING THREADS