Missing Disc drive???

For some strange reason my 2nd HDD became invisible to
windows?
I am Running WIN-XP pro & use a 2nd disc to keep all my
files, games. etc on.
Today, when I started the PC it took a while to start up
which was strange. I then noticed that the Back-up drive
(my 2nd disc) was missing????
Device manager says that it's there & displays the name
of the drive with the correct drivers assigned to it, but
the drive does not appear in MYCOMPUTER.
I have downloaded a utility from the HDD manufacturer's
site & tested the drive which passes all the tests & says
I have a healthy HDD, EH?
When the PC boots up the drive is auto detected & appears
in the list of drives found.

Anyone know what is going on here as I have run out of
Ideas???

P.S.
I have not changed anything or installed any programs
prior to this happening nor is the disc drive full.

Ian, go to Control Panel>AdminTools>Computer Manage>Disk Manage. See if
it shows up there and if
yes try to assign it a drive letter.
"Ian Tranter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some strange reason my 2nd HDD became invisible to
> windows?
> I am Running WIN-XP pro & use a 2nd disc to keep all my
> files, games. etc on.
> Today, when I started the PC it took a while to start up
> which was strange. I then noticed that the Back-up drive
> (my 2nd disc) was missing????
> Device manager says that it's there & displays the name
> of the drive with the correct drivers assigned to it, but
> the drive does not appear in MYCOMPUTER.
> I have downloaded a utility from the HDD manufacturer's
> site & tested the drive which passes all the tests & says
> I have a healthy HDD, EH?
> When the PC boots up the drive is auto detected & appears
> in the list of drives found.
>
> Anyone know what is going on here as I have run out of
> Ideas???
>
> P.S.
> I have not changed anything or installed any programs
> prior to this happening nor is the disc drive full.

Rich,
Drive does not exist in disc management, even tried a
rescan of system???

wrote in message
>> For some strange reason my 2nd HDD became invisible to
>> windows?
>> I am Running WIN-XP pro & use a 2nd disc to keep all my
>> files, games. etc on.
>> Today, when I started the PC it took a while to start
up
>> which was strange. I then noticed that the Back-up
drive
>> (my 2nd disc) was missing????
>> Device manager says that it's there & displays the name
>> of the drive with the correct drivers assigned to it,
but
>> the drive does not appear in MYCOMPUTER.
>> I have downloaded a utility from the HDD manufacturer's
>> site & tested the drive which passes all the tests &
says
>> I have a healthy HDD, EH?
>> When the PC boots up the drive is auto detected &
appears
>> in the list of drives found.
>>
>> Anyone know what is going on here as I have run out of
>> Ideas???
>>
>> P.S.
>> I have not changed anything or installed any programs
>> prior to this happening nor is the disc drive full.
>>

>.

Maybe you can try replacing the IDE ribbon cable or moving the second
drive to a different IDE channel
Secondary is good.