Unstable with more than 512 meg of memory.

I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
AMD 3200- 200 FSB
MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
80 gig WD Hard Drive

Not overclocked in any way.

The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
benchmarks and games with no problem.

If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .

The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
Hyper X memory with the same results.

Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.
7 answers Last reply
More about unstable memory

    "Brian" <mneve@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    > AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    > MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    > 512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    > Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    > 80 gig WD Hard Drive
    >
    > Not overclocked in any way.
    >
    > The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the benchmarks
    > and games with no problem.
    >
    > If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    > benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .
    >
    > The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    > Hyper X memory with the same results.
    >
    > Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.

    Have you tried each stick by its self?

    Jim M

    All that information and no mention of the OS.

    What OS are you using ?

    Dave

    "Brian" <mneve@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
    | I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    | Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    | AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    | MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    | 512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    | Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    | 80 gig WD Hard Drive
    |
    | Not overclocked in any way.
    |
    | The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
    | benchmarks and games with no problem.
    |
    | If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    | benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .
    |
    | The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    | Hyper X memory with the same results.
    |
    | Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.

    I am assuming below where you say your fsb is 200, you actually mean 400,
    right? As anythingn from 3200 up is 400. that asside what speed are you
    trying to run your memory at? You didn't state that. Also did you check to
    make sure your video card, as well as your memory sticks are seated firmly
    in the mobo? And are you putting the sticks on the outside slots to take
    advantage of duel channel?
    Did you check Asus's web page for compatability? last I knew most mobo's
    didn't support anything above 3200, or maybe it's 3700 now..... lol. Good
    luck keep us posted.

    {SFU}Xeon

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:29:43 GMT, Brian <mneve@austin.rr.com> wrote:

    >I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    >Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    >AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    >MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    >512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    >Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    >80 gig WD Hard Drive
    >
    >Not overclocked in any way.
    >
    >The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
    >benchmarks and games with no problem.
    >
    >If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    >benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .
    >
    >The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    >Hyper X memory with the same results.
    >
    >Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.

    My guess would be that you've mixed two different timing memory stick
    like a corsair 522mhz one vs an hyper-x 400mhz one with extreme low latency witch would cause the
    memory failure. is you want two stick by your self the twin mos thing at Kingston. that way your
    gona be sure that the timing will not be different one each stick and cause problem.

    talking about timing do you know that you pc 4000 run at 3 4 4 X or something vs a hyper-x
    that i think would run at 2 3 2 6

    plus remember that two different stick like your funny combo will result in mem failure. Ask the
    ram-guy at corsair web site...

    Yes that's the big question!

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > What OS are you using ?
    > Dave

    You did NOT say which OS you are using. For instance Win98SE is unable to
    recognize more than 512 MB of RAM and will make your system unstable.

    --
    DaveW

    "Brian" <mneve@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    > AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    > MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    > 512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    > Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    > 80 gig WD Hard Drive
    >
    > Not overclocked in any way.
    >
    > The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the benchmarks
    > and games with no problem.
    >
    > If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    > benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .
    >
    > The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    > Hyper X memory with the same results.
    >
    > Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.

    He did in a second post -- WinXP SP2.

    Dave L.
    BTW: That's Win9x/ME and they will recognize the RAM, just be unstable under it w/o
    modifying SYSTEM.INI

    "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:fHEad.161160$wV.46154@attbi_s54...
    | You did NOT say which OS you are using. For instance Win98SE is unable to
    | recognize more than 512 MB of RAM and will make your system unstable.
    |
    | --
    | DaveW

Asus Memory Motherboards