harddrive

June 27, 2004 12:38:01 PM

i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info installed.

More about : harddrive

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:10:46 PM

Try a Bios update for your Motherboard. Make sure that Windows Update SP1
is installed.
"minataur1" <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be
the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info
installed.
June 27, 2004 5:11:48 PM

One - does your motherboard recognize drives larger than 137Gb?

Two - if one is OK then have you installed XP SP1?

Three- if two is ok then turn on 48-bit LBA.

"minataur1" <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be
the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info
installed.
Related resources
June 27, 2004 8:56:24 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:38:01 -0700, minataur1
<minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what
>would be the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out
> lossing my info installed.

Might be a BIOS limitation or XP. Check to see if the Hard Drives
installation software has a special program that goes in the boot
sector to help BIOS and Windows detect the large hard drive.
--
Best Regards, Keith
http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio page

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp