harddrive

i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info installed.
4 answers Last reply
More about harddrive

    Try a Bios update for your Motherboard. Make sure that Windows Update SP1
    is installed.
    "minataur1" <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be
    the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info
    installed.

    One - does your motherboard recognize drives larger than 137Gb?

    Two - if one is OK then have you installed XP SP1?

    Three- if two is ok then turn on 48-bit LBA.

    "minataur1" <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be
    the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info
    installed.

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:38:01 -0700, minataur1
    <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what
    >would be the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out
    > lossing my info installed.

    Might be a BIOS limitation or XP. Check to see if the Hard Drives
    installation software has a special program that goes in the boot
    sector to help BIOS and Windows detect the large hard drive.
    --
    Best Regards, Keith
    http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio page

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

    "minataur1" <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i installed a 200 gig hard drive and i only show 128 gigs. what would be
    the safest way to get the rest of my gigs with out lossing my info
    installed.

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP