Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless network XPh SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 3, 2005 4:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I am having problems integrating a laptop running XPSP2, with a wireless
network, to an existing wireless router with two wired laptops on (XpSP1 and
ME). They work fine, the wireless laptop sees the internet OK, but will not
allow me to log on to the network. Usual problems to other users, but I know
the link is running OK? Any help?
January 3, 2005 4:34:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Peter wrote:

> I am having problems integrating a laptop running XPSP2, with a
> wireless network, to an existing wireless router with two wired
> laptops on (XpSP1 and ME). They work fine, the wireless laptop sees
> the internet OK, but will not allow me to log on to the network. Usual
> problems to other users, but I know the link is running OK? Any help?

Service Pack 2 comes with the Windows Firewall enabled by default. If
you are not using a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall
applet in Control Panel and add your home network as Trusted on the
Exceptions tab. If you are running a third-party firewall (and have
already configured your lan to be Trusted in it), then disable the
Windows Firewall.

See if that does it.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 12:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I'm having the same issue. Have 4 existing PC's on a network, 2 are hardwired
and 2 are wireless - WEP enabled. IT's a combo Wireless b/g cable router. I
just purchased a new system with XP SP2 and while it connects to the network
it doesn't let me hit the internet or see the other computers or the shares
that exist.
The systems all have static IP addresses, and the Dns entries are correct.
I can't ping or anything.

I tried to figure out what you suggested.. but I don't see a way to add a
Network name to the exception list. It asks for programs or program names.
Please tell me what I am missing here.
Thank you.

"Malke" wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > I am having problems integrating a laptop running XPSP2, with a
> > wireless network, to an existing wireless router with two wired
> > laptops on (XpSP1 and ME). They work fine, the wireless laptop sees
> > the internet OK, but will not allow me to log on to the network. Usual
> > problems to other users, but I know the link is running OK? Any help?
>
> Service Pack 2 comes with the Windows Firewall enabled by default. If
> you are not using a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall
> applet in Control Panel and add your home network as Trusted on the
> Exceptions tab. If you are running a third-party firewall (and have
> already configured your lan to be Trusted in it), then disable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> See if that does it.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
>
Related resources
January 5, 2005 9:35:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Tina.V wrote:

> I'm having the same issue. Have 4 existing PC's on a network, 2 are
> hardwired and 2 are wireless - WEP enabled. IT's a combo Wireless b/g
(snip)

Tina - Please don't hijack someone else's post even if you think the
problems are similar. Make a new post for your question, including all
the details. Hijacking a post makes it very difficult to give all
parties good help.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 6:39:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Sorry.. my error will post as new.

"Malke" wrote:

> Tina.V wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same issue. Have 4 existing PC's on a network, 2 are
> > hardwired and 2 are wireless - WEP enabled. IT's a combo Wireless b/g
> (snip)
>
> Tina - Please don't hijack someone else's post even if you think the
> problems are similar. Make a new post for your question, including all
> the details. Hijacking a post makes it very difficult to give all
> parties good help.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
>
!