Unstable with more than 512 meg of memory.

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Memory
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 10, 2004 6:45:34 PM

I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
AMD 3200- 200 FSB
MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
80 gig WD Hard Drive
Running Windows xp sp2
Not overclocked in any way.

The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
benchmarks and games with no problem.

If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .

The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
Hyper X memory with the same results.

Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.
Memory Timing for XMS is 8-3-3-3
Matched pair of XMS

More about : unstable 512 meg memory

October 10, 2004 8:14:06 PM

Are you using an adequate power supply?

Brian wrote:
> I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
> AMD 3200- 200 FSB
> MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
> 512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
> Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
> 80 gig WD Hard Drive
> Running Windows xp sp2
> Not overclocked in any way.
>
> The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
> benchmarks and games with no problem.
>
> If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
> benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .
>
> The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
> Hyper X memory with the same results.
>
> Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.
> Memory Timing for XMS is 8-3-3-3
> Matched pair of XMS
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2004 8:28:33 PM

That's pretty lame Brian.

You posted this question before.
You were asked for the OS which you failed to provide and then reposted the same stuff still
not indicating the OS.

If you want help read the thread you already created !

Dave
Related resources
October 10, 2004 8:28:34 PM

exactly...if he "happens" to be running 98SE he needs to edit to allow
anything greater than 512 to run properly
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 12:15:15 AM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:53:01 GMT, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>The OS has *much* do to with it. A family of MS OSs have a stability problem with RAM
>>512MB. Exactly what the OP reported. On these platforms there are specific entries to
>SYSTEM.INI need to be entered. The OP indicated he swapped RAM with like results.
>
>There are many solutions to many problems but all the facts must be defined to give the
>right answer for a particular problem.
>

>OK ?

Hmm, i guess that double channel was made same year that ms build that OS system like win95, 98,
se,and millennium.

running a dual channel board one that kind of system would be unsafe. also that ms does"nt support
much these OS. Maintain the use of these system relaying on people help would be alot more "unsafe"
for stability and whatever. Plus if i recall the guy have a 3200 xp one a a7n8x-dx board which is
quite a good board.

Finally xp can manage it own swap file and paging file and video allocating file. So i guess to me
if you "enable" me to do so i will maintain that mixing different timing will cause some problem,
also that hyper-x and corsair doesn't have second timing to fit the other one.

does dual Channel require the exact timing one each stick? i guess so.
the problem is basic.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 1:15:12 AM

Yes, the Win9x/ME family suffers this malady.

Dave

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
| exactly...if he "happens" to be running 98SE he needs to edit to allow
| anything greater than 512 to run properly

October 11, 2004 1:15:13 AM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:15:12 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Yes, the Win9x/ME family suffers this malady.
>
>Dave

Well, the OP stated he was running Win XP sp2.

Since I have the same board with only 512 MB, but looking to add
another, I'd be particularly interested in any help you might offer
(in case I see the same problem).
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 6:17:03 AM

Brian:

I want to apologize to you. Since you reposted, not replied to a post, and put all the
information in the repost, I missed your statement about WinXP. I was mistaken and I am
sorry for my reply.

Dave :-(

!