What is the max cpu a A7V333 will support?

It's a Rev 1.0 (I think). And what type of processer do I need and socket
type etc (sorry I'm not computer savvy). Whereabouts on the Net could I
purchase such a processor? (I live in the uk).

I think I read somewhere that it's pretty low, something like an XP2400 I
think. Now since I already have an XP1800 would it be worth it?

I'm thinking about buying a Radeon 9800 pro graphics card you see and
obviously a XP1800 will be a bottleneck. But will getting an XP2400 (if
that's the maximum processor my mobo will support) make much difference??

Maybe I should buy a completely new computer? But was thinking that a new
graphics card will tide me over for next 18 months or so (I play modern
games). Then I could buy a new computer then.

BTW I currently have a ti4200 graphics card and 768mb of RAM.

Thanks for any advice. :)

go to asus.com and see what cpu your board can use at max.
Personally, I'd sell your current pc and upgrade, your specs are a little
low for todays coming games anyway (assuming your'e a gamer). But if youre
sticking with your main components, a cpu upgrade coupled with, like you
say, a nice 9800Pro would be more than enough to last you a while if you're
wanting to save some money.

"Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
> go to asus.com and see what cpu your board can use at max.
> Personally, I'd sell your current pc and upgrade, your specs are a little
> low for todays coming games anyway (assuming your'e a gamer). But if youre
> sticking with your main components, a cpu upgrade coupled with, like you
> say, a nice 9800Pro would be more than enough to last you a while if
you're
> wanting to save some money.

OK, been there. It looks like a 2600 is the maximum. However, if I require
a 266FSB, then I cannot find any anywhere for sale. Just the 2600 with
333FSB and something called a sepron (or something like that).

Downloaded this software called Sisoftware.

It says I've got:

Front Side Bus Speed 2 X 133MHz (266MHz data rate)

But also says just below that:

Maximum FSB Speed/Max Memory Speed 2 X 166MHz/2 X 166MHz

So does this mean my mobo is 266FSB?? I'm guessing yes; in which case it
seems I've had it since I can't find the appropriate 2600+ processor.

ebay is your friend, but you dont 'have to' get the highest CPU it supports.
Take a step down or two - a few mhz are irrelevant. I'm not sure if your
board can overclock at all, but it could be possible to get a lesser chip
and overclock safely higher than a default 2600+ anyway.

> "Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
>> go to asus.com and see what cpu your board can use at max.
>> Personally, I'd sell your current pc and upgrade, your specs are a little
>> low for todays coming games anyway (assuming your'e a gamer). But if
>> youre
>> sticking with your main components, a cpu upgrade coupled with, like you
>> say, a nice 9800Pro would be more than enough to last you a while if
> you're
>> wanting to save some money.
>>
> OK, been there. It looks like a 2600 is the maximum. However, if I
> require
> a 266FSB, then I cannot find any anywhere for sale. Just the 2600 with
> 333FSB and something called a sepron (or something like that).
>
> Downloaded this software called Sisoftware.
>
> It says I've got:
>
> Front Side Bus Speed 2 X 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
>
> But also says just below that:
>
> Maximum FSB Speed/Max Memory Speed 2 X 166MHz/2 X 166MHz
>
> So does this mean my mobo is 266FSB?? I'm guessing yes; in which case it
> seems I've had it since I can't find the appropriate 2600+ processor.

donc

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

What makes you think you're limited to 2600+ ?? ASUS web site shows support
to 3000+ with BIOS flashed to 1016 or newer. 1017 is the latest non-beta
BIOS.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

"DonC" <coondwc_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What makes you think you're limited to 2600+ ?? ASUS web site shows
support
> to 3000+ with BIOS flashed to 1016 or newer. 1017 is the latest non-beta
> BIOS.
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

It depends on the rev version doesn't it? When I run SiSoftware Sandra it
says the version is REV 1.xx (although confusingly, the sticker I got with
my mobo with a diagram of the mobo on says "REV 2.0" at the bottom).

So even if I flashed the BIOS to 1016 (I think mines currently on 1015) that
wouldn't help would it?

donc

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

> "DonC" <coondwc_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> What makes you think you're limited to 2600+ ?? ASUS web site shows
> support
>> to 3000+ with BIOS flashed to 1016 or newer. 1017 is the latest non-beta
>> BIOS.
>>
>> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>>

> It depends on the rev version doesn't it? When I run SiSoftware Sandra it
> says the version is REV 1.xx (although confusingly, the sticker I got with
> my mobo with a diagram of the mobo on says "REV 2.0" at the bottom).
>
> So even if I flashed the BIOS to 1016 (I think mines currently on 1015)
> that
> wouldn't help would it?

Can't help you there. Don't see any reference to versions of this board on
ASUS site but I do find discussions re it on forums without any conclusions
short of "try it." If you don't have PC2700 memory on hand, that seems
like an expensive way to find out unless you commit to buying another board
if you can't reach 333. But MBs *ARE* relatively cheap now.

Best of Luck!

BTW-Sandra often reports things incorrectly. EX: Sandra says my case
temperature is higher than my CPU's temp. They obviously have the sensors
reversed.

Dino

k..that is probably what you have..now you just need the CPU..no idea where
to get one...have you checked the computer shops to see if someone has one
laying around?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:53:42 GMT, "DonC" <coondwc_nospam@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>> What makes you think you're limited to 2600+ ?? ASUS web site shows
>> support to 3000+ with BIOS flashed to 1016 or newer. 1017 is the latest non-beta
>>> BIOS.
>>> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

>Can't help you there. Don't see any reference to versions of this board on
>ASUS site

The link posted above (you even copied it) is a link to the A7V333,
and other, board versions. Just click on "query by motherboard".

BP.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/dev/gui_web/shopping/index.php?fuseaction=voir_fiche_article&srcid=36&oldlangue=uk&oldlangueparle=uk&article=39053

> But is that the right one? Doesn't give model number or anything. Hmmm .
..
> .

The speed quoted (1916MHz) seems to be wrong since according to this:

http://www.thetechboard.com/tutorials/athlon_xp.php

a 2600+ runs at either 2133MHz for the 266FSB version, or 2083MHz for the
333FSB version. Is this an error, or am I not understanding something?

donc

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

"Bill Payer" <bill@payer.com> wrote in message

>>> support to 3000+ with BIOS flashed to 1016 or newer. 1017 is the latest
>>> non-beta
>
>>Can't help you there. Don't see any reference to versions of this board
>>on
>>ASUS site
>
> The link posted above (you even copied it) is a link to the A7V333,
> and other, board versions. Just click on "query by motherboard".
>
> BP.
Duh... you're right. 1.01 supports up to 2600+ 2.00 to 3000+