Alienware plugged in not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert12

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hi. I fixed the "plugged in not charging" problem very easily. Unplug your laptop, remove the battery, hold down the "Start" button for 30 seconds. I put it back together and it worked. The guy at Alienware support told me that static builds up inside the computer. I did what he said and the problem was over. Robert

Aumdel

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Bullshit. That is what you were fed. Pure bullshit to make you happy with something that they don't want to fix. What they gave you was a workaround. Nothing is actually fixed. Try hitting your battery charge button again (Fn+F2). The problem comes back, and you have to go through the workaround again.

As a mechanical engineer, it makes no sense that static charge buildup would create the "plugged in not charging" problem.

From what I can find, nobody has a fix for this problem. It is all speculation. I thought that Alienware was supposed to be a "High-end, luxury" system, but they can't/won't fix the problem. If they can't fix it, that means that their engineering now sucks since they've been bought by Dell. If they won't fix the problem it means that they don't care about what their consumer's want. Either of these problems makes me leery of purchasing a Dell. And I now regret recommending the MX17 to a close friend, because it makes me look bad.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/549213-m17xr2-bios-a10-discussion-thread.html

Joe86

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hi. I fixed the "plugged in not charging" problem very easily. Unplug your laptop, remove the battery, hold down the "Start" button for 30 seconds. I put it back together and it worked. The guy at Alienware support told me that static builds up inside the computer. I did what he said and the problem was over. Robert

Thank you Robert! I had the same problem, tried your solution, and what do know it actually worked. Thanks again man, that was a huge relief.

tttsaxena07

Honorable
May 11, 2013
That is not the permanent solution and I have been trying to find out what is wrong with this device as well... believe me the problem doesn't have anything to do with the 30 second thing or so... so if you can try out or so... just ask them regarding the real problem as that has something to do the socket connection of the battery to the keyboard... maybe due to over-heating of the laptop while gaming... that is what I am looking for... a permanent solution after finding the exact problem...

Sothicus

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I have the same problem 17 with a 780m and a i7 4900...I have to unplug the battery everytime to startup after a shut down.....but today that has stopped working.....I feel I blew a lot of cash for trash at this point....although I love it wheb it works

Status
Not open for further replies.