A7V400-MX can't boot from RAID

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have this motherboard with a Promise Fasttrak66 PCI Raid controller.

I have set the boot options to First Device: CD-ROM, Second Device:
SCSI. Third & Forth Devices set to Disabled.

Raid Array1 is set to Mirroring (RAID1) and a bootable HD with windows
2000 installed and configured on the A7V400-MX was used.

This HD can boot on the A7V400-MX using the IDE port but fails to boot
using the Raid Array.

The Raid utility (BIOS) shows a valid Mirrored (Raid1) Array.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve

What errors are you getting? No HDs found or No OS found??
Is that HD alone on the RAID1? Was it built on the IDE ports? If built on
the IDE, Windows might not have the RAID-drivers installed

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

On 12 Oct 2004 00:10:52 -0500, Steve <Somewhere@overtherainbow> wrote:

>I have this motherboard with a Promise Fasttrak66 PCI Raid controller.
>
>I have set the boot options to First Device: CD-ROM, Second Device:
>SCSI. Third & Forth Devices set to Disabled.
>
>Raid Array1 is set to Mirroring (RAID1) and a bootable HD with windows
>2000 installed and configured on the A7V400-MX was used.
>
>This HD can boot on the A7V400-MX using the IDE port but fails to boot
>using the Raid Array.
>
>The Raid utility (BIOS) shows a valid Mirrored (Raid1) Array.
>
>Any help is appreciated.

As Thomas says: drivers !

Connect the harddisk with OS on the ide port with the pci raid card
inserted. Then windows will load the drivers if you have the source.

If this is not your problem:
I am not sure that you can do such a convient harddisk swap. I don't
have experience with raid1, but only with raid0.

I would recommend a procedure involving one more harddisk:

1) create an image of your C-drive with Ghost or Driveimage, let this
be saved on a harddisk that is not used on the raid1 pair.

2) set up the raid pair with the raid bios

3) format and partitionate the 2 raid1 harddisks with F-disk or
partitionmagic boot-disks

4) ghost the C-drive image on the raid1 pair

Then you are for sure running.

I cannot explain it, but I think you have something wrong in maybe the
master boot record of one of your disks.
Further the ghosting procedure on the raid pair will write on both
disks.

best regards

John