a7v8x mx se 400 fsb??

Hi all. I just got myself an asus a7v8x mx se with a mobile barton 2500.
I'm using pc2100 memory, and currently have the fsb set to 166. I'm a lttle
confused about something; can I get it to go to 400 fsb or not?. I noticed
a chart on the actual mb, listing four combinations and the corresponding
dsw settings. It reads 100, 133, 166, and 200.(which translates into a fsb
of 200, 266, 333...and 400 respectively, right ?) According to what I've
found out on the web, this board does not support an fsb of 400. Anyone
know? And if it does support 400, then as it is, I guess the only thing
going against me is the memory?

Thanks
Tom
2 answers Last reply
More about a7v8x

    In article <i%Jad.17558$hk6.485093@news20.bellglobal.com>, "tomW"
    <tom24_ca@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Hi all. I just got myself an asus a7v8x mx se with a mobile barton 2500.
    > I'm using pc2100 memory, and currently have the fsb set to 166. I'm a lttle
    > confused about something; can I get it to go to 400 fsb or not?. I noticed
    > a chart on the actual mb, listing four combinations and the corresponding
    > dsw settings. It reads 100, 133, 166, and 200.(which translates into a fsb
    > of 200, 266, 333...and 400 respectively, right ?) According to what I've
    > found out on the web, this board does not support an fsb of 400. Anyone
    > know? And if it does support 400, then as it is, I guess the only thing
    > going against me is the memory?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    If you look at this page, and type in a7v8x in the search box,
    I don't see any FSB400 processors listed.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    On a few other designs, one of the limits happens when a board
    uses integrated graphics. Running FSB400/DDR400 and integrated
    graphics at the same time seems to be too much for Athlon
    Northbridges. If you do plan on experimenting with FSB400/DDR400
    (if the BIOS will even allow you to set up that configuration),
    I would try it with a separate graphics card, like say a FX5200
    for example. You will have a greater chance of succeeding with
    the use of a graphics card. (Try without it first, and if you
    get graphics corruption, then buy/borrow a cheap video card.)

    It is good there is a chart on the motherboard for the CPU clock,
    because otherwise you'd have to look up the clock gen part number
    on icst.com (Asus favorite clock gen supplier) and pray the
    datasheet is available. I cannot see the part number in the
    picture of the motherboard in the manual.

    The next challenge, with be the memory clock. The BIOS offers
    SPD, 133, 166 as options, and when the CPU is given a 200MHz
    clock with the DIP switches, I don't know just what the BIOS can
    or will do with the DDR clock. It really all depends on whether
    the memory clock comes from the clock gen, or it is generated
    by the Northbridge itself. It is possible that selecting 166 in
    the BIOS, will really be selecting a 1:1 ratio, and the actual
    memory clock becomes 200MHz - this is really hard to guess at.
    (The problem is, there are very few datasheets for Northbridges,
    and only AMD and Intel give data publically for chipsets -
    companies like Via/Sis/Ali/Nvidia only give out info under NDA,
    and only to prospective design leads, not to curious laymen.)

    So, it should be an interesting project.

    Good luck,
    Paul
  2. I have the same problem. I got a free Athlon 3200 so I swapped out my 1800 and put the 3200 in. I set the DIP switch on MB to the 200mhz setting but I get no boot up / post. I am using PC2700 ram. Any ideas on this?

    Mike

Asus Motherboards