martin

I want to use an optical wheelmouse on my laptop at home
and keep the synoptics pointing device to use away from
home. The installation CD requires that I uninstall the
synoptics device. Is there a way round this?

1 way- Try disabling the synoptics pointing device, in Device manager, then try to install the optical whell mouse. When you want to switch, you will have to enable the synoptic pointer, & disable the optical whell mouse, then unplug it..

2nd way try downloading the intellipoint 5.0(XP) or 4.12 for the older winOS's
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=9C8A05BC-CA35-4D94-9254-87374C29B5B8&freetext=&DisplayLang=en

I installed with intellipoint(my Dell inspiron 5105 has both my synoptic & wireless wheell mouse on at the same time, & neither conflicts, although the install CD wanted my to remove the synoptic drivers as well...)

John C