Ram timing settings for A7N8X Deluxe?

I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds 196x11.5
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200

For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run stable at 200
mhz or higher.
I have ram voltage at 2.7
Vcore at 1.775

I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture test
all night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.

I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just annoys me
that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette
15 answers Last reply

    In article <vd2dnU6kecVbkPHcRVn-rQ@giganews.com>, "Don Burnette"
    <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

    > I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds 196x11.5
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
    > I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200
    >
    > For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run stable at 200
    > mhz or higher.
    > I have ram voltage at 2.7
    > Vcore at 1.775
    >
    > I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture test
    > all night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.
    >
    > I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just annoys me
    > that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Are you multiplier locked at 12.5 ? Maybe your locked multiplier
    has you running at 2500MHz, which is a pretty decent overclock.
    Does CPUZ say your multiplier setting is working (via the core
    frequency value displayed) ?

    What is the memory actually rated at ? Is this the 3200XL memory
    with the TCCD rev F chips ? (I'm in the market for ram right now,
    so any user experiences are important to me :-)

    Go to this page and click the link for your model number, as maybe
    the rating is different depending on whether the memory is used on
    a P4 or an Athlon system.

    http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

    You might take a look over here, and see if other people have
    complains about your memory. Maybe there will be some suggestions
    about appropriate timings here:

    http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128

    If you post again, include the exact model number of the Corsair
    product.

    I don't really understand what the deal is sometimes, with having
    to derate memory when it is run in dual channel. The channels are
    not supposed to know anything about one another, and the implication
    is that either the Northbridge memory I/O drivers make too much
    electrical noise inside the chip, or the Vdimm isn't holding up
    (which isn't likely, as the frequency difference between working
    and not working is so well defined).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <vd2dnU6kecVbkPHcRVn-rQ@giganews.com>, "Don Burnette"
    > <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds
    >> 196x11.5 Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
    >> I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200
    >>
    >> For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run
    >> stable at 200 mhz or higher.
    >> I have ram voltage at 2.7
    >> Vcore at 1.775
    >>
    >> I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture
    >> test all night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.
    >>
    >> I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just
    >> annoys me that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >
    > Are you multiplier locked at 12.5 ? Maybe your locked multiplier
    > has you running at 2500MHz, which is a pretty decent overclock.
    > Does CPUZ say your multiplier setting is working (via the core
    > frequency value displayed) ?
    >
    > What is the memory actually rated at ? Is this the 3200XL memory
    > with the TCCD rev F chips ? (I'm in the market for ram right now,
    > so any user experiences are important to me :-)
    >
    > Go to this page and click the link for your model number, as maybe
    > the rating is different depending on whether the memory is used on
    > a P4 or an Athlon system.
    >
    > http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html
    >
    > You might take a look over here, and see if other people have
    > complains about your memory. Maybe there will be some suggestions
    > about appropriate timings here:
    >
    > http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128
    >
    > If you post again, include the exact model number of the Corsair
    > product.
    >
    > I don't really understand what the deal is sometimes, with having
    > to derate memory when it is run in dual channel. The channels are
    > not supposed to know anything about one another, and the implication
    > is that either the Northbridge memory I/O drivers make too much
    > electrical noise inside the chip, or the Vdimm isn't holding up
    > (which isn't likely, as the frequency difference between working
    > and not working is so well defined).
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    HI Paul,

    No, my processor is not locked, I got one just before they ran out of the
    unlocked ones.
    I will have to check the memory closer as to what it is rated at, all I
    remember is it is the matched set of XMS Corsair Memory pc3200 - low latency
    I believe, but I will double check.

    Thanks,

    --
    Don Burnette

    With My Barton 2500 running on the same MOBO using 2x512Micron DDR 3200 chips I
    have managed to achieve 200x11.5
    with timings of 2.5/3/3/11and no increase in any voltages..........and stayed
    there for quite awhile steady as a rock until I became a little concerned about
    the heat
    peter
    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds 196x11.5
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
    > I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200
    >
    > For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run stable at 200
    > mhz or higher.
    > I have ram voltage at 2.7
    > Vcore at 1.775
    >
    > I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture test all
    > night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.
    >
    > I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just annoys me
    > that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Don Burnette

    Not bad at all, I should think I should be able to get at least 200x11, if
    not 11.5.
    I'll try your ram timings and see if that helps.

    Thanks,

    --
    Don Burnette

    peter wrote:
    > With My Barton 2500 running on the same MOBO using 2x512Micron DDR
    > 3200 chips I have managed to achieve 200x11.5
    > with timings of 2.5/3/3/11and no increase in any
    > voltages..........and stayed there for quite awhile steady as a rock
    > until I became a little concerned about the heat
    > peter
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds
    >> 196x11.5 Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
    >> I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200
    >>
    >> For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run
    >> stable at 200 mhz or higher.
    >> I have ram voltage at 2.7
    >> Vcore at 1.775
    >>
    >> I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture
    >> test all night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.
    >>
    >> I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just
    >> annoys me that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Don Burnette

    Well shoot.

    No go, not even at 200x11.
    I upped the vcore to 1.8, and dimm voltate to 2.8

    I am afraid to try further.

    Runs fine at 196 mhz fsb.

    I have the mem running " with speed" , so it is running at the same speed.

    --
    Don Burnette

    Don Burnette wrote:
    > Not bad at all, I should think I should be able to get at least
    > 200x11, if not 11.5.
    > I'll try your ram timings and see if that helps.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > peter wrote:
    >> With My Barton 2500 running on the same MOBO using 2x512Micron DDR
    >> 3200 chips I have managed to achieve 200x11.5
    >> with timings of 2.5/3/3/11and no increase in any
    >> voltages..........and stayed there for quite awhile steady as a rock
    >> until I became a little concerned about the heat
    >> peter
    >> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I currently have an Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds
    >>> 196x11.5 Asus A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 mb w/ latest bios.
    >>> I have 1gB of Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512 pc3200
    >>>
    >>> For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get my system bus to run
    >>> stable at 200 mhz or higher.
    >>> I have ram voltage at 2.7
    >>> Vcore at 1.775
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if my memory timings are the problem? I ran Prime95 torture
    >>> test all night last night at my 196 setting with no errors.
    >>>
    >>> I think I have my memory at 2.5-2-2-7
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> I guess it probably wouldn't make much difference at all, it just
    >>> annoys me that I cannot seem to breech the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Don Burnette

    Do you have AGP locked at 66???
    > Well shoot.
    >
    > No go, not even at 200x11.
    > I upped the vcore to 1.8, and dimm voltate to 2.8
    >
    > I am afraid to try further.
    >
    > Runs fine at 196 mhz fsb.
    >
    > I have the mem running " with speed" , so it is running at the same speed.
    >

    > --
    > Don Burnette
    >

    > Don Burnette wrote:
    >> Not bad at all, I should think I should be able to get at least
    >> 200x11, if not 11.5.
    >> I'll try your ram timings and see if that helps.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> peter wrote:
    >>> With My Barton 2500 running on the same MOBO using 2x512Micron DDR
    >>> 3200 chips I have managed to achieve 200x11.5
    >>> with timings of 2.5/3/3/11and no increase in any
    >>> voltages..........and stayed there for quite awhile steady as a rock
    >>> until I became a little concerned about the heat
    >>> peter
    >>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

    Yes,

    AGP is locked at 66.

    Thanks,

    --
    Don Burnette

    peter wrote:
    > Do you have AGP locked at 66???
    > peter
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Well shoot.
    >>
    >> No go, not even at 200x11.
    >> I upped the vcore to 1.8, and dimm voltate to 2.8
    >>
    >> I am afraid to try further.
    >>
    >> Runs fine at 196 mhz fsb.
    >>
    >> I have the mem running " with speed" , so it is running at the same
    >> speed. --
    >> Don Burnette
    >>

    >> Don Burnette wrote:
    >>> Not bad at all, I should think I should be able to get at least
    >>> 200x11, if not 11.5.
    >>> I'll try your ram timings and see if that helps.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks,

    Sorry......................but try posting the same question here in the ASUS
    forum.
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

    peter

    peter wrote:
    > Sorry......................but try posting the same question here in
    > the ASUS forum.
    > http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/
    >
    > peter

    Thanks Peter.

    I did some reading of posts on the above forum, and , after identifying my
    model of Corsair ram - TwinX 1024 3200LL, I decided to change the timings to
    2-3-4-11, at 2.8v to start. My 3d Mark 03 actually increased about 50-60
    points just from the timing change.

    So far, running stable at 197 mhz fsb. Going to run Prime95 overnight, and
    if it shows no errors in the morning, will gradually start upping the bus
    speed - leaving the multiplier at 11. When it starts to get errors, I'll
    drop it back a notch or two and see if I can bump the mulitplier to 11.5.

    If not, then well, my system is already performing pretty dang good so I
    can't complain too much :).

    --
    Don Burnette

    Don Burnette wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    >> Sorry......................but try posting the same question here in
    >> the ASUS forum.
    >> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/
    >>
    >> peter
    >
    > Thanks Peter.
    >
    > I did some reading of posts on the above forum, and , after
    > identifying my model of Corsair ram - TwinX 1024 3200LL, I decided to
    > change the timings to 2-3-4-11, at 2.8v to start. My 3d Mark 03
    > actually increased about 50-60 points just from the timing change.
    >
    > So far, running stable at 197 mhz fsb. Going to run Prime95
    > overnight, and if it shows no errors in the morning, will gradually
    > start upping the bus speed - leaving the multiplier at 11. When it
    > starts to get errors, I'll drop it back a notch or two and see if I
    > can bump the mulitplier to 11.5.
    > If not, then well, my system is already performing pretty dang good
    > so I can't complain too much :).

    Woohoo, finally have breached the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    I had to increase the vcore to 1.825 to get it stable, but it is running
    fine now at the 2-3-4-11 timings, and gained another 50 points in 3dmark03.
    It ran Prime95 stable all night with no errors.

    I am going to try bumping the fsb up a couple of mhz at a time until I reach
    the plateau. I don't think I want to up the vcore much more.

    So far, with my SLK 900, temps are still reasonable - 35 at idle, and 40
    under load. The highest the temp has got is while running Prime95, and that
    was 43c.

    Thanks for the help folks,

    --
    Don Burnette

    Glad you've achieved your goal............ooops....but that's not the end of it
    is it?????
    > Don Burnette wrote:
    >> peter wrote:
    >>> Sorry......................but try posting the same question here in
    >>> the ASUS forum.
    >>> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/
    >>>
    >>> peter
    >>
    >> Thanks Peter.
    >>
    >> I did some reading of posts on the above forum, and , after
    >> identifying my model of Corsair ram - TwinX 1024 3200LL, I decided to
    >> change the timings to 2-3-4-11, at 2.8v to start. My 3d Mark 03
    >> actually increased about 50-60 points just from the timing change.
    >>
    >> So far, running stable at 197 mhz fsb. Going to run Prime95
    >> overnight, and if it shows no errors in the morning, will gradually
    >> start upping the bus speed - leaving the multiplier at 11. When it
    >> starts to get errors, I'll drop it back a notch or two and see if I
    >> can bump the mulitplier to 11.5.
    >> If not, then well, my system is already performing pretty dang good
    >> so I can't complain too much :).
    >

    > Woohoo, finally have breached the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    > I had to increase the vcore to 1.825 to get it stable, but it is running fine
    > now at the 2-3-4-11 timings, and gained another 50 points in 3dmark03. It ran
    > Prime95 stable all night with no errors.
    >
    > I am going to try bumping the fsb up a couple of mhz at a time until I reach
    > the plateau. I don't think I want to up the vcore much more.
    >
    > So far, with my SLK 900, temps are still reasonable - 35 at idle, and 40 under
    > load. The highest the temp has got is while running Prime95, and that was 43c.
    >
    > Thanks for the help folks,
    >

    > --
    > Don Burnette

    No, but I think I have stretched it about as far as I can.

    I got it to run stable at 203 mhz fsb, and was able to get the ram timings
    down to 2-3-3-11, which increased my 3dmark03 a little more.
    I could probably up the vcore a little more and get it higher, but think I
    probably will leave it be. At least I got it to run stable with a 200 mhz
    fsb, which I did not think I would be able to do.

    But who knows :).

    Thanks,

    --
    Don Burnette

    peter wrote:
    > Glad you've achieved your goal............ooops....but that's not the
    > end of it is it?????
    > peter
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Don Burnette wrote:

    >>> Thanks Peter.
    >>>
    >>> I did some reading of posts on the above forum, and , after
    >>> identifying my model of Corsair ram - TwinX 1024 3200LL, I decided
    >>> to change the timings to 2-3-4-11, at 2.8v to start. My 3d Mark 03
    >>> actually increased about 50-60 points just from the timing change.
    >>>
    >>> So far, running stable at 197 mhz fsb. Going to run Prime95
    >>> overnight, and if it shows no errors in the morning, will gradually
    >>> start upping the bus speed - leaving the multiplier at 11. When it
    >>> starts to get errors, I'll drop it back a notch or two and see if I
    >>> can bump the mulitplier to 11.5.
    >>> If not, then well, my system is already performing pretty dang good
    >>> so I can't complain too much :).
    >>

    >> Woohoo, finally have breached the 200 mhz fsb mark.
    >> I had to increase the vcore to 1.825 to get it stable, but it is
    >> running fine now at the 2-3-4-11 timings, and gained another 50
    >> points in 3dmark03. It ran Prime95 stable all night with no errors.
    >>
    >> I am going to try bumping the fsb up a couple of mhz at a time until
    >> I reach the plateau. I don't think I want to up the vcore much more.
    >>
    >> So far, with my SLK 900, temps are still reasonable - 35 at idle,
    >> and 40 under load. The highest the temp has got is while running
    >> Prime95, and that was 43c. Thanks for the help folks,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Don Burnette

    Hi Doug,
    I wish it worked that way for me. At least I'd be able to get back into
    the BIOS to change the settings back down to something that would work
    by either a 'reset' or even 'switching off' for a while.
    If I get the settings wrong; as soon as I come out of the BIOS I've got
    a 'dead' PC until it gets a 'kiss of life' by taking the battery out
    etc.
    There seems to be no intermediate stage, either the PC works OK or it is
    dead.

    Richard :-(

    In article <2tetltF1vh3qpU1@uni-berlin.de>, Doug Ramage
    <ramage@XXukaccountant.net> writes

    --
    A.R.Mills

    Richard, I should have added that some over-ambitious tweaks have also
    rendered my pc dead, which required my clearing the CMOS. :(

    My Asus PC-DL mobo reverts (usually) to minimum spec so I can get back into
    the BIOS and undo my previous setting(s). This seems a much better option
    that the A7N8X de luxe one.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    "A.R.Mills" <richard@jaguz2onetel.net.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi Doug,
    > I wish it worked that way for me. At least I'd be able to get back into
    > the BIOS to change the settings back down to something that would work
    > by either a 'reset' or even 'switching off' for a while.
    > If I get the settings wrong; as soon as I come out of the BIOS I've got
    > a 'dead' PC until it gets a 'kiss of life' by taking the battery out
    > etc.
    > There seems to be no intermediate stage, either the PC works OK or it is
    > dead.
    >
    > Richard :-(
    >
    > In article <2tetltF1vh3qpU1@uni-berlin.de>, Doug Ramage
    > <ramage@XXukaccountant.net> writes
    >>Foe me "instability" means being able to boot into Windows, but the PC
    >>freezes or BSODs later - both usually the result of my attempting too high
    >>an FSB and/or clock or the timings are too tight.
    >
    > --
    > A.R.Mills
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    You :-)
    Me :-(

    Richard

    In article <1ZednUxhs9DYjO7cRVn-vQ@giganews.com>, Don Burnette