What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?

Hi.

Ordered a P5AD2 Premium today along with some DDR2 memory. I'm not sure that
I ordered the correct memory and wan't some advice while there still is time
to change the order.

The memory I ordered is:
Corsair Twin2X 5400 DDR2 (1.9V), 512MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched
CM2X256A-5400C4 Dimm.
Will this do?

--
Med hilsen /Best regards
Kurt Heggelund

Paul

Splendid

In article <k7Uad.520$ZG9.170429440@news.telia.no>, "Kurt Heggelund"
<kurthe@netcom.nospam> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Ordered a P5AD2 Premium today along with some DDR2 memory. I'm not sure that
> I ordered the correct memory and wan't some advice while there still is time
> to change the order.
>
> The memory I ordered is:
> Corsair Twin2X 5400 DDR2 (1.9V), 512MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched
> CM2X256A-5400C4 Dimm.
> Will this do?

The manual shows DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 as "non-overclock" options.
The overclocking section shows options for

FSB888/DDR2-667
FSB900/DDR2-600
FSB950/DDR2-633
FSB1000/DDR2-667
FSB1066/DDR2-533
FSB1066/DDR2-710

so your DDR2-675 memory choice should allow you to overclock if
you want. If you don't want to overclock, the RAM will still
work at the lower speeds.

Here is a Crucial listing, showing all speeds can be used:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go

I checked the datasheet for a Micron DDR2 memory chip, and the clock
can range from 125MHz to 266MHz, on a DDR2-533 chip, and that means
that a fast chip can be run at the slower speeds. Your DDR2-675 choice
should operate at slower speeds as well.

Paul

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

This is exactly what I'm using. Been running for about 2 weeks now. Perfect.
No problems. On boot it says it's running at 5300.

> In article <k7Uad.520$ZG9.170429440@news.telia.no>, "Kurt Heggelund"
> <kurthe@netcom.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Ordered a P5AD2 Premium today along with some DDR2 memory. I'm not sure
>> that
>> I ordered the correct memory and wan't some advice while there still is
>> time
>> to change the order.
>>
>> The memory I ordered is:
>> Corsair Twin2X 5400 DDR2 (1.9V), 512MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched
>> CM2X256A-5400C4 Dimm.
>> Will this do?
>
> The manual shows DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 as "non-overclock" options.
> The overclocking section shows options for
>
> FSB888/DDR2-667
> FSB900/DDR2-600
> FSB950/DDR2-633
> FSB1000/DDR2-667
> FSB1066/DDR2-533
> FSB1066/DDR2-710
>
> so your DDR2-675 memory choice should allow you to overclock if
> you want. If you don't want to overclock, the RAM will still
> work at the lower speeds.
>
> Here is a Crucial listing, showing all speeds can be used:
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go
>
> I checked the datasheet for a Micron DDR2 memory chip, and the clock
> can range from 125MHz to 266MHz, on a DDR2-533 chip, and that means
> that a fast chip can be run at the slower speeds. Your DDR2-675 choice
> should operate at slower speeds as well.
>
> Paul

How do yoy get to see the mem speed at boot? Mine whips by so fast I can't see
it.

>Subject: Re: What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?
>From: "et" et_koko@verizon.net
>Date: 10/13/2004 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
>
>This is exactly what I'm using. Been running for about 2 weeks now. Perfect.
>No problems. On boot it says it's running at 5300.
>

>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
>> In article <k7Uad.520$ZG9.170429440@news.telia.no>, "Kurt Heggelund"
>> <kurthe@netcom.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Ordered a P5AD2 Premium today along with some DDR2 memory. I'm not sure
>>> that
>>> I ordered the correct memory and wan't some advice while there still is
>>> time
>>> to change the order.
>>>
>>> The memory I ordered is:
>>> Corsair Twin2X 5400 DDR2 (1.9V), 512MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched
>>> CM2X256A-5400C4 Dimm.
>>> Will this do?
>>
>> The manual shows DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 as "non-overclock" options.
>> The overclocking section shows options for
>>
>> FSB888/DDR2-667
>> FSB900/DDR2-600
>> FSB950/DDR2-633
>> FSB1000/DDR2-667
>> FSB1066/DDR2-533
>> FSB1066/DDR2-710
>>
>> so your DDR2-675 memory choice should allow you to overclock if
>> you want. If you don't want to overclock, the RAM will still
>> work at the lower speeds.
>>
>> Here is a Crucial listing, showing all speeds can be used:
>>
>http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Moth
erboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go

>> I checked the datasheet for a Micron DDR2 memory chip, and the clock
>> can range from 125MHz to 266MHz, on a DDR2-533 chip, and that means
>> that a fast chip can be run at the slower speeds. Your DDR2-675 choice
>> should operate at slower speeds as well.
>>
>> Paul

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

First , Sorry I ment to say 4300 not 5300. Still good.
It's one of the first thins that show when you boot. First few line in top
left corner of screen.
One question for you, does your machine go on standby ok ? Power down and
all.
Mine goes to screen shutdown but never powers down ??

Thanks & good luck.
Joe

"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
> How do yoy get to see the mem speed at boot? Mine whips by so fast I can't
> see
> it.
>

>>Subject: Re: What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?
>>From: "et" et_koko@verizon.net
>>Date: 10/13/2004 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>This is exactly what I'm using. Been running for about 2 weeks now.
>>Perfect.
>>No problems. On boot it says it's running at 5300.
>>

>>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>>> The manual shows DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 as "non-overclock" options.
>>> The overclocking section shows options for
>>>
>>> FSB888/DDR2-667
>>> FSB900/DDR2-600
>>> FSB950/DDR2-633
>>> FSB1000/DDR2-667
>>> FSB1066/DDR2-533
>>> FSB1066/DDR2-710
>>>
>>> so your DDR2-675 memory choice should allow you to overclock if
>>> you want. If you don't want to overclock, the RAM will still
>>> work at the lower speeds.
>>>
>>> Here is a Crucial listing, showing all speeds can be used:
>>>
>>http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Moth
> erboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go
>>>
>>> I checked the datasheet for a Micron DDR2 memory chip, and the clock
>>> can range from 125MHz to 266MHz, on a DDR2-533 chip, and that means
>>> that a fast chip can be run at the slower speeds. Your DDR2-675 choice
>>> should operate at slower speeds as well.
>>>
>>> Paul

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Also go to www.cpuid.com & get CPUZ. Give some good info. I'm not sure how
to caculate the memory speed and clock rate. But atleast it tell you whats
inside.

"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
> How do yoy get to see the mem speed at boot? Mine whips by so fast I can't
> see
> it.
>

>>Subject: Re: What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?
>>From: "et" et_koko@verizon.net
>>Date: 10/13/2004 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>This is exactly what I'm using. Been running for about 2 weeks now.
>>Perfect.
>>No problems. On boot it says it's running at 5300.
>>

>>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>>> The manual shows DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 as "non-overclock" options.
>>> The overclocking section shows options for
>>>
>>> FSB888/DDR2-667
>>> FSB900/DDR2-600
>>> FSB950/DDR2-633
>>> FSB1000/DDR2-667
>>> FSB1066/DDR2-533
>>> FSB1066/DDR2-710
>>>
>>> so your DDR2-675 memory choice should allow you to overclock if
>>> you want. If you don't want to overclock, the RAM will still
>>> work at the lower speeds.
>>>
>>> Here is a Crucial listing, showing all speeds can be used:
>>>
>>http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Moth
> erboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go
>>>
>>> I checked the datasheet for a Micron DDR2 memory chip, and the clock
>>> can range from 125MHz to 266MHz, on a DDR2-533 chip, and that means
>>> that a fast chip can be run at the slower speeds. Your DDR2-675 choice
>>> should operate at slower speeds as well.
>>>
>>> Paul

Maybe it's because my LCD monitor it too slow coming on after sync is received
but once I see any of the boot info it does not remain on screen long enough to
read.

I can enter standby just fine, PC powers off and leaves the power led blinking.
Hitting a key wakes it up ok also.

Normal shutdown also powers off everything ok.

OS is Win XP Pro with SP2

>Subject: Re: What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?
>From: "et" et_koko@verizon.net
>Date: 10/13/2004 5:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>First , Sorry I ment to say 4300 not 5300. Still good.
>It's one of the first thins that show when you boot. First few line in top
>left corner of screen.
>One question for you, does your machine go on standby ok ? Power down and
>all.
>Mine goes to screen shutdown but never powers down ??
>
>Thanks & good luck.
>Joe
>

>"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
>> How do yoy get to see the mem speed at boot? Mine whips by so fast I can't
>> see
>> it.
>>

>>>Subject: Re: What DDR2 memory for P5AD2 Premium?
>>>From: "et" et_koko@verizon.net
>>>Date: 10/13/2004 8:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>>
>>>This is exactly what I'm using. Been running for about 2 weeks now.
>>>Perfect.
>>>No problems. On boot it says it's running at 5300.
>>>

>>>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>>>http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Moth
>> erboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P5AD2+Premium&submit=Go

CPU-Z reports 267.6 MHz & FSB:DRAM 3:4. SPD says Max Bandwidth is PC5300
(333MHz) .