New iPaq 2215 just arrived, charging question

June 17, 2004 1:21:36 PM

Ok, I am sure this has been asked before BUT, when I plugged the iPaq in to
charge, the battery has already 50% charge, the manual says 4 hours
charging, when the battery meter shows full, do I need to still leave it
charging for the full 4 hours? Also does anyone know if the charger stops
charging when the battery is full? My mp3 player automatically shuts off
charging when the battery is full, does the iPaq do the same?
Patrick
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:32:24 PM

the charging regulation is automatic... you can safely leave any ppc
attached to a charger for extended periods.

the "meter" is probably inaccurate when charging as it uses voltage and
may show "full" when charging a battery that is still not fully charged.

Normally there is a charging light indicator that changes colors when
fully charged.

There is no operational problem with removing the charger before it is
fully charged... simply less battery available.

Welcome,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:32:25 PM

Thanks Beverly
you have been a great help with my silly questions about my new toy, but
all your answers and other peoples answers also have been an enormous help.
I currently have the amber charging light flashing on the top left and from
the manual it says when it goes solid it is fully charged.
Something on the sync front. I have Outlook 2003 installed on my computer,
will I be given the option to only sync the contacts and calendar? I have
really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email until I
get a CF card to connect to the internet.
Thanks again
Patrick

message news:ehF0siIVEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> the charging regulation is automatic... you can safely leave any ppc
> attached to a charger for extended periods.
>
> the "meter" is probably inaccurate when charging as it uses voltage and
> may show "full" when charging a battery that is still not fully charged.
>
> Normally there is a charging light indicator that changes colors when
> fully charged.
>
> There is no operational problem with removing the charger before it is
> fully charged... simply less battery available.
>
> Welcome,

June 17, 2004 3:32:26 PM

The amber light went solid, does this mean that it no longer is charging? Is
the 4 hour first battery charge for a fully discharged battery? Something I
also read a while back was that the first charge of a Lithium Ion battery
should be drained completely before recharging the second time and that this
adds life to the battery in terms of how long the battery lasts on each
charge, i.e. 3 hours use vs 3.5 hours use? Anyone here do this?
Patrick

"Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Beverly
> you have been a great help with my silly questions about my new toy, but
> all your answers and other peoples answers also have been an enormous
help.
> I currently have the amber charging light flashing on the top left and
from
> the manual it says when it goes solid it is fully charged.
> Something on the sync front. I have Outlook 2003 installed on my computer,
> will I be given the option to only sync the contacts and calendar? I have
> really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email until
> get a CF card to connect to the internet.
> Thanks again
> Patrick
>

> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:ehF0siIVEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > the charging regulation is automatic... you can safely leave any ppc
> > attached to a charger for extended periods.
> >
> > the "meter" is probably inaccurate when charging as it uses voltage and
> > may show "full" when charging a battery that is still not fully charged.
> >
> > Normally there is a charging light indicator that changes colors when
> > fully charged.
> >
> > There is no operational problem with removing the charger before it is
> > fully charged... simply less battery available.
> >
> > Welcome,
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:07:20 AM

> The amber light went solid, does this mean that it no longer is charging?

Yes.

> Is the 4 hour first battery charge for a fully discharged battery?
Something I
> also read a while back was that the first charge of a Lithium Ion battery
> should be drained completely before recharging the second time and that
this
> adds life to the battery in terms of how long the battery lasts on each
> charge, i.e. 3 hours use vs 3.5 hours use? Anyone here do this?

Don't ever fully discharge Lithium-Ion batteries. The batteries which are
now available in phones, pdas, etc will get damaged when fully discharged.
You shouldn't even discharge it to say... 10 - 15%. To prolong battery life
charge it as often as possible. Remember that when your battery will be
totaly discharged you will also loose all data stored in your PDA. RAM needs
power to hold its state.

--

..: Jakub KaƱczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

> Something on the sync front. I have Outlook 2003 installed on my computer,
> will I be given the option to only sync the contacts and calendar? I have
> really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email until
> get a CF card to connect to the internet.

You will be given a choice what to sync when you will be establishing a
partnership between your computer and your PDA.

--

..: Jakub KaƱczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

Patrick wrote:
> Thanks Beverly
> you have been a great help with my silly questions about my new toy, but
> all your answers and other peoples answers also have been an enormous help.
> I currently have the amber charging light flashing on the top left and from
> the manual it says when it goes solid it is fully charged.
> Something on the sync front. I have Outlook 2003 installed on my computer,
> will I be given the option to only sync the contacts and calendar? I have
> really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email until I
> get a CF card to connect to the internet.
> Thanks again
> Patrick
>

> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:ehF0siIVEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>the charging regulation is automatic... you can safely leave any ppc
>>attached to a charger for extended periods.
>>
>>the "meter" is probably inaccurate when charging as it uses voltage and
>>may show "full" when charging a battery that is still not fully charged.
>>
>>Normally there is a charging light indicator that changes colors when
>>fully charged.
>>
>>There is no operational problem with removing the charger before it is
>>fully charged... simply less battery available.
>>
>>Welcome,
>>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

these type of techy questions i always want to know when i get a new
phone or pda, the manual hardly ever states it!
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:41:46 AM

Well there I have two COMPLETELY different views on battery discharge. I did
read about discharging Lithium Ion completely on first recharge will allow
the battery to gain it's full capacity (was a Nokia 3595 cell phone manual
as far as I can remember)
Anyone with a link from an authority on this?
Patrick

"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Patrick wrote:
> > Thanks Beverly
> > you have been a great help with my silly questions about my new toy,
but
> > all your answers and other peoples answers also have been an enormous
help.
> > I currently have the amber charging light flashing on the top left and
from
> > the manual it says when it goes solid it is fully charged.
> > Something on the sync front. I have Outlook 2003 installed on my
computer,
> > will I be given the option to only sync the contacts and calendar? I
have
> > really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email
until I
> > get a CF card to connect to the internet.
> > Thanks again
> > Patrick
> >

> > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> > message news:ehF0siIVEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>the charging regulation is automatic... you can safely leave any ppc
> >>attached to a charger for extended periods.
> >>
> >>the "meter" is probably inaccurate when charging as it uses voltage and
> >>may show "full" when charging a battery that is still not fully charged.
> >>
> >>Normally there is a charging light indicator that changes colors when
> >>fully charged.
> >>
> >>There is no operational problem with removing the charger before it is
> >>fully charged... simply less battery available.
> >>
> >>Welcome,
> >>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
> >>

> these type of techy questions i always want to know when i get a new
> phone or pda, the manual hardly ever states it!
June 18, 2004 12:49:40 AM

Jakub Kanczugowski wrote:

>>The amber light went solid, does this mean that it no longer is charging?
>

> Yes.
>

>>Is the 4 hour first battery charge for a fully discharged battery?
>
> Something I
>
>>also read a while back was that the first charge of a Lithium Ion battery
>>should be drained completely before recharging the second time and that
>
> this
>
>>adds life to the battery in terms of how long the battery lasts on each
>>charge, i.e. 3 hours use vs 3.5 hours use? Anyone here do this?
>

> Don't ever fully discharge Lithium-Ion batteries. The batteries which are
> now available in phones, pdas, etc will get damaged when fully discharged.
> You shouldn't even discharge it to say... 10 - 15%. To prolong battery life
> charge it as often as possible. Remember that when your battery will be
> totaly discharged you will also loose all data stored in your PDA. RAM needs
> power to hold its state.

You should fully decharge every 7 normal charges - so if you charge it
every day, drain it once a week. To avoiding loosing data I dont let it
go below 10%. This keeps the bettery meter calibrated. Google for
charging tips, I cant remember the web site that told me that - it was
some uni site, but http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap4-page1.asp seems a good
start.

Marc
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:49:41 AM

>> You should fully decharge every 7 normal charges <<

That information is valid for NiCad batteries but should not be observed
in any other type of battery... especially PPC batteries.

LI batteries do best when kept as charged as possible.

In addition, allowing a ppc to fully discharge will delete all
information and settings in ram and should be avoided at all costs.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:21:32 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:56:52 -0700, "Patrick" <patrickm@spamsonic.net>
wrote:

>I have
>really far too much email to sync and I also will not be using email until I
>get a CF card to connect to the internet.

Just a suggestion: you don't need to sync *all* messages to your
Pocket PC. You can change the settings for Inbox sync, so that you
just sync what you need.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

>Well there I have two COMPLETELY different views on battery discharge. I did
>read about discharging Lithium Ion completely on first recharge will allow
>the battery to gain it's full capacity (was a Nokia 3595 cell phone manual
>as far as I can remember)
>Anyone with a link from an authority on this?

Well, I can't be called an authority, but as a PDA carrying, mobile phone
using, digital photographer, I've tried to read up all I can about battery
charging, which can seem to take up quite some time each working day! The
charging that is, not the reading..

Basically, it's this . .

1 - Ni-Mh (Nickel Metal hydride) batteries, as used in older mobile phones, and
most digital cameras (with some exceptions) have no 'memory effect' and can be
charged at any time. But a full discharge and recharge when new, can improve
battery performance and life. They should also be 'over-charged' first time out
to maximise their capacity. Periodic dis/charge cycles can also help keep the
battery in good condition, but don't overdo these cycles, just charging up will
do fine.

2 - Li-ion (Lithium-ion) batteries, as used in the iPaq 2210/15, many other
PDA's, newer & lighter mobile phones, and a few digital cameras, should not be
overcharged first time (some are supplied charged up and only need a brief
topup first time), but should be charged regularly instead. Daily top-ups are a
good thing.
Also never discharge them if possible, they prefer to be kept well fed! As
mentioned in other posts, if they run flat in an iPaq, you loose all data, like
a hard reset.

Both battery types are big improvements over the 'original' Ni-Cad batteries
which had charge memory, didn't like frequent top-up charges, and died off
gradually.

A useful design feature on the iPaq 2210/15 is the replaceable battery, so you
could buy a second spare too.

regards
Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet ;-)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 2:18:09 PM

I didn't know (or rather would not believe) that about Li-Ion. (Oops...I
did over charge my PDA on 1st charge as advice by the sales!)

I always hv doubt about the "no memory effects" claims because I believe
that there will always be, just a matter of how much. That's why I had
always hesitate at charging a battery before it is flat, Li-Ion or NiMH.

However, I found that impractical no-a-days as my mobile phone and new PDA r
not design well enough to change battery easily. So I decides to charge my
mobile when I think it will not last for tomorrow's use, and my PDA when I
can.

Couldn't really be bothered with worrying too much about memory effects.

"AJH400" <ajh400@aol.comkillspam> wrote in message
> >Well there I have two COMPLETELY different views on battery discharge. I
did
> >read about discharging Lithium Ion completely on first recharge will
allow
> >the battery to gain it's full capacity (was a Nokia 3595 cell phone
manual
> >as far as I can remember)
> >Anyone with a link from an authority on this?
>

> Well, I can't be called an authority, but as a PDA carrying, mobile phone
> using, digital photographer, I've tried to read up all I can about battery
> charging, which can seem to take up quite some time each working day! The
> charging that is, not the reading..
>
> Basically, it's this . .
>
> 1 - Ni-Mh (Nickel Metal hydride) batteries, as used in older mobile
phones, and
> most digital cameras (with some exceptions) have no 'memory effect' and
can be
> charged at any time. But a full discharge and recharge when new, can
improve
> battery performance and life. They should also be 'over-charged' first
time out
> to maximise their capacity. Periodic dis/charge cycles can also help keep
the
> battery in good condition, but don't overdo these cycles, just charging up
will
> do fine.
>

> 2 - Li-ion (Lithium-ion) batteries, as used in the iPaq 2210/15, many
other
> PDA's, newer & lighter mobile phones, and a few digital cameras, should
not be
> overcharged first time (some are supplied charged up and only need a brief
> topup first time), but should be charged regularly instead. Daily top-ups
are a
> good thing.
> Also never discharge them if possible, they prefer to be kept well fed!
As
> mentioned in other posts, if they run flat in an iPaq, you loose all data,
like
> a hard reset.
>
> Both battery types are big improvements over the 'original' Ni-Cad
batteries
> which had charge memory, didn't like frequent top-up charges, and died off
> gradually.
>
> A useful design feature on the iPaq 2210/15 is the replaceable battery, so
you
> could buy a second spare too.
>

> regards
> Andrew
>

> replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers
you
> meet ;-)
June 18, 2004 9:23:13 PM

int_spy wrote:

> I didn't know (or rather would not believe) that about Li-Ion. (Oops...I
> did over charge my PDA on 1st charge as advice by the sales!)
>
> I always hv doubt about the "no memory effects" claims because I believe
> that there will always be, just a matter of how much. That's why I had
> always hesitate at charging a battery before it is flat, Li-Ion or NiMH.
>
> However, I found that impractical no-a-days as my mobile phone and new PDA r
> not design well enough to change battery easily. So I decides to charge my
> mobile when I think it will not last for tomorrow's use, and my PDA when I
> can.
>
> Couldn't really be bothered with worrying too much about memory effects.

I'm really frustrated now because I had a link that explained it all
very clearly... seemed to have deleted the bookmark damnit!

takes a look around hard disk...............

ahh yes... here it is :)
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/print-partone-23.htm
good advice on that site!
Anonymous