i have a new mother board and tower and it is my first time to change/upgrade to a new motherboard.
the install instructions are very varg about what to do with the software.
should i go ahead and install the software first and then change over over or install the hardware then install the software.

i don't know for sure and don't have the experience in this area yet. thanks.

If you have installed the motherboard, in the tower, & have everything working, first install your XP Operating system, then you should use the install CD that came with the motherboard to load the chipset drivers. i.e. VIAKT 800, 600,400, Intel chipset, or Nforce2,3 chipset
These drivers make everything function properly in windows, if you have onboard audio, LAN etc.. the drivers for those will be on that CD as well, all this software must be installed prior to installing the software you which to run on windows XP(games, ofiice, etc..

kind regards,

PCfixinman

A+ certified
--
One step closer to the edge...

minataur1 <minataur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have a new mother board and tower and it is my first time to change/upgrade to a new motherboard.
> the install instructions are very varg about what to do with the software.
>should i go ahead and install the software first and then change over over or install the hardware then install the software.
>
>i don't know for sure and don't have the experience in this area yet. thanks.

If you replace the computer motherboard with a different make or model
then you need to do a "repair install" of Windows XP in order to
properly configure Windows to work with the new hardware.

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html for detailed
information and instructions.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada