Drag and Drop CD Recording to Explorer using LG GSA 4044b ..

LG Electronics replaced my GAS-4044B with GAS-4081B Multi DVD CD/DVD
Recorder.

New drive shows same problems as old. On CD recording, after dragging files
to Explorer and giving the "Write Files to CD" command, it doesn't
recognize the presence of the blank unformatted CD. says Recordable Disk not
present, etc. I am able to record from Nero and Drive Image onto unformatted
CD.

LG says CD must be formatted for drag-and drop recording with multi-format
writers on Windows XP, and that Microsoft is aware of the problem and will
have it fixed in the Longhorn release. Until then, I must use DirectCD for
Drag and Drop recording in Windows Explorer. Of course I have never
encountered this with any of the multitude of CD only writers that have used
or am using on this system.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I am not pleased with that response
from LG. Their manuals for the 4044B and the 4081B say nothing about such
limitations for CD recording. They simply say that the devices support
WinXP, among others, with no limitations mentioned.

Any words of wisdom? Does XP have that problem in "multi format writers?"
Is LG just blowing smoke?
2 answers Last reply
More about drag drop recording explorer 4044b

    Description of CD-ROM Recording in Windows XP
    Applies To
    SUMMARY
    This article describes the functionality of the CD recorder feature.
    When you use Windows XP, you can write data to a CD-R, or write and rewrite
    data to a CD-RW. In addition, you can erase data from a CD-RW, but not from
    a CD-R.
    MORE INFORMATION
    Support for the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
    Image
    The CD-RW recording feature that is built in to the Windows XP shell
    does not support the creation of an International Standards Organization
    (ISO) image. To create an ISO image in Windows XP, you need to install a
    third party utility that supports this feature.

    An ISO image file is a snapshot of the data and layout of a CD-ROM,
    saved in ISO-9660 format. ISO image files are widely used for storing CD
    content. ISO is a common CD image format for DOS, Windows (Joliet ISO
    extension), Linux (RockRidge ISO extension), and other operating systems.
    Description of the Staging Area
    To facilitate CD recording, Windows XP uses a staging area to store
    the data for recording, which is located in the following hidden folder:
    Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
    Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

    In addition, the information in the staging area is copied to a
    monolithic disc image file before you record the data. By default, this file
    is named "Cd burning stash file.bin" and is located in the root folder. You
    can change the location of the file in the CD recorder Properties dialog
    box.
    How to Move Files to the Staging Area
    There are four methods that you can use to copy files to the staging
    area:
    a.. Method 1: You can use a drag-and-drop operation to move the
    files to the CD burner icon.
    b.. Method 2: Right-click the file (or files), click Send To, and
    then click Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD.
    c.. Method 3: Click the file, click Send To on the File menu, and
    then click Name or Drive Letter of your Writable CD.
    d.. Method 4: Copy the files manually to the staging area.
    How to Initiate the Burn Process
    There are two methods to start the burn process after the files are in
    the staging area:
    a.. Method 1: Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD.
    b.. Method 2: Right-click the CD drive, and then click Write these
    files to CD.
    At this point, the data is copied from the staging area into a
    monolithic stash file, which is then recorded to the disk as an image.

    To view a video of how to move files to the staging area and initate
    the burn process, click the Play button () on the Windows Media Player
    viewer below:

    If you have problems viewing this video, click here.

    NOTE: To view the above video, Windows Media Player 7.0 or later must
    be installed on your computer. For additional information about how to
    obtain Windows Media Player version 7.1, click the article number below to
    view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    299321 Description and Availability of Windows Media Player 7.1

    Description of CD Recorder Properties Dialog Box
    The properties of a CD recorder include a Recording tab in addition to
    the standard tabs that are included with all drives. This tab includes the
    following settings that are specific to CD-R drives:
    a.. Enable desktop CD recording for this CD-R device: This setting
    enables the CD-R drive to allow drag-and-drop operations for this device.
    b.. Store staging disc image on: Use this setting to change where
    the stash file is created before the file is written to the CD drive.
    c.. Write speed: Use this setting to set the write speed of the
    device up to the maximum that the hardware allows.
    d.. Automatically eject media after recording: Use this setting to
    enable or disable the ejection of media after recording is complete.
    a.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    b.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Last Reviewed: 4/28/2004 (3.4)

    Contact Us

    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use Security &
    Privacy Accessibility

    "traderv" <traderv@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > LG Electronics replaced my GAS-4044B with GAS-4081B Multi DVD CD/DVD
    > Recorder.
    >
    > New drive shows same problems as old. On CD recording, after dragging
    files
    > to Explorer and giving the "Write Files to CD" command, it doesn't
    > recognize the presence of the blank unformatted CD. says Recordable Disk
    not
    > present, etc. I am able to record from Nero and Drive Image onto
    unformatted
    > CD.
    >
    > LG says CD must be formatted for drag-and drop recording with multi-format
    > writers on Windows XP, and that Microsoft is aware of the problem and will
    > have it fixed in the Longhorn release. Until then, I must use DirectCD
    for
    > Drag and Drop recording in Windows Explorer. Of course I have never
    > encountered this with any of the multitude of CD only writers that have
    used
    > or am using on this system.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with this problem? I am not pleased with that response
    > from LG. Their manuals for the 4044B and the 4081B say nothing about such
    > limitations for CD recording. They simply say that the devices support
    > WinXP, among others, with no limitations mentioned.
    >
    > Any words of wisdom? Does XP have that problem in "multi format writers?"
    > Is LG just blowing smoke?

    begin 666 MediaPlayer_PlayButton.jpg
    M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_VP!#``,"`@("`@,"`@(#`P,#! 8$! 0$
    M! @&!@4&"0@*"@D("0D*# \,"@L."PD)#1$-#@\0$!$0"@P2$Q(0$P\0$!#_
    MVP!#`0,#`P0#! @$! @0"PD+$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0
    M$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$!#_P `1" `2`!4#`2(``A$!`Q$!_\0`
    M'P```04!`0$!`0$```````````$"`P0%!@<("0H+_\0`M1 ``@$#`P($`P4%
    M! 0```%]`0(#``01!1(A,4$&$U%A!R)Q%#*!D:$((T*QP152T? D,V)R@@D*
    M%A<8&1HE)B<H*2HT-38W.#DZ0T1%1D=(24I35%565UA96F-D969G:&EJ<W1U
    M=G=X>7J#A(6&AXB)BI*3E)66EYB9FJ*CI*6FIZBIJK*SM+6VM[BYNL+#Q,7&
    MQ\C)RM+3U-76U]C9VN'BX^3EYN?HZ>KQ\O/T]?;W^/GZ_\0`'P$``P$!`0$!
    M`0$!`0````````$"`P0%!@<("0H+_\0`M1$``@$"! 0#! <%! 0``0)W``$"
    M`Q$$!2$Q!A)!40=A<1,B,H$(%$*1H;'!"2,S4O 58G+1"A8D-.$E\1<8&1HF
    M)R@I*C4V-S@Y.D-$149'2$E*4U155E=865IC9&5F9VAI:G-T=79W>'EZ@H.$
    MA8:'B(F*DI.4E9:7F)F:HJ.DI::GJ*FJLK.TM;:WN+FZPL/$Q<;'R,G*TM/4
    MU=;7V-G:XN/DY>;GZ.GJ\O/T]?;W^/GZ_]H`# ,!``(1`Q$`/P#],=<O%M+J
    M:XANW@GC10,'*G@XRIX(YKDI?CEHNA7OV;Q;&MK;O)M2[A.Y$!*@>8IY&,L2
    M1G@=*Y;XU_$2V\.>*SX=LH;O4=7NK:.2#3=/@:XNIN&^[&@)Q@'GIP:XJT_9
    MH^(_Q7<W7Q.UL^#M&<D?V7IKQW&I3+\X^><[HH.0C842DJ2"4/- 'U-8W]CJ
    M=K'?:;>07=M,,QS02"1'&<9##(/(-%8/P\^''@WX5>&8?!_@31ETS2H)'E6+
    MSI)F9W.69Y)&9W8\<L2<`#H!10!MQZ9IL6H3:M%I]LE]<1K%-<K$HED1<[59
    2\9(&3@$X&35JBB@`HHHH`__9
    `
    end

    begin 666 kb_en-us_279157&GUID=1F4FC18C-F71E-47fb-8FC9-612F8EE59C61&R=&msid=.dat
    L1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/\SS ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$`0 ("A%$`.P``
    `
    end

    Kevin,

    Thank you for your prompt reply. I really do know the fundamentals of
    CD-Rom recording. My issue is whether or not the drive manufacturer is just
    feeding me a line to keep me off his neck. The problem occurs when
    attempting to write files to an "unformated" CD-R. I do it frequently and
    easily with other CD writers. The problem drive happens to be a CD/DVD
    writer. The Mfr says the problem is with WinXP and combined CD/DVD writers.
    WinXP does not reliably write to CD-R when files are staged in the Explorer
    window. The Mfr claims that the only reliable way to write with "drag
    and drop" to his drive is with Roxio's Direct CD.

    My question is whether anyone knows if there is substance to the claim that
    WinXOP honestly has a problem with "drag and drop" writing to CD-R on CD/DVD
    writers. It sounds like a hokey excuse to me. CD drives work well. The
    combo CD/DVD writer works fine, for a spell, and then unexpectedly, for no
    apparent reason stops responding to the write command and says that there is
    no recordable medium present, etc...

    This is the case with two different models of the mfr's CD/DVD drives.

    The mfr is LG Electronics. They have had a reputation for horrible service.
    They were reasonably fast in replacing my initial problem unit. Now they
    are spouting this new party line.

    Does anyone have experience with non:LG CD/DVD writers in drag and drop mode
    with WinXP? I'm looking for ammunition with which to counter the seemingly
    absurd claims by the LG people.

    Is there a problem causing the symptoms I've described that is known to
    Microsoft and will be fix in Longhorn?

    Thanks for any suggests of help.

LG CD-Rom Windows XP