Raptor-A7N8X-E Problem, Need Help

I turned on my new machine, to install Windows XP in a new Raptor (with no
other drives). I loaded the SATA driver, went as far as beginning to
partition the drive, made the first partition ok, then while I was making
the next partition, I _think_ that I pushed some wrong key, stuff happend
very fast so I'm not sure what went on right next, and I turned off the
machine. Now when I turn it on again, it boots up to showing "Verifying
DMI Pool data..." on the screen, and then "error loading operating
system" and stops there.

There is, of course, no operating system yet. I tried to get past that in
every way I could think, to no avail.

I next added a PATA HD with Win98 on it, and looked at the Raptor from
Win98. I got a box saying "G:\ is not accessible. A device attached to
the system is not functioniong"

I don't have another machine running SATA to try the Raptor on. I ran out
of ideas, so any suggestions about what may have happened, and where to go
from here, will be most appreciated.

Thank you!

>I turned on my new machine, to install Windows XP in a new Raptor (with no
> other drives). I loaded the SATA driver, went as far as beginning to
> partition the drive, made the first partition ok, then while I was making
> the next partition, I _think_ that I pushed some wrong key, stuff happend
> very fast so I'm not sure what went on right next, and I turned off the
> machine. Now when I turn it on again, it boots up to showing "Verifying
> DMI Pool data..." on the screen, and then "error loading operating
> system" and stops there.
>
> There is, of course, no operating system yet. I tried to get past that in
> every way I could think, to no avail.
>
> I next added a PATA HD with Win98 on it, and looked at the Raptor from
> Win98. I got a box saying "G:\ is not accessible. A device attached to
> the system is not functioniong"
>
> I don't have another machine running SATA to try the Raptor on. I ran out
> of ideas, so any suggestions about what may have happened, and where to go
> from here, will be most appreciated.
>
> Thank you!

Can you just try to install XP again on the Raptor, loading the driver like
you did previously. Once the driver has loaded the installer should be able
to see the Raptor again allowing you format the drive and start again.

Had no problems installing 2 of them in my machine with XP.

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Revision 1.01, BIOS 1012)
Asus AX800 XT 256Mb GDDR3
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ (Barton, 11 x 200, 1.65VCore)

Peregrin <yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd6c3157dc8a8229896aa@news.easynews.com>...

> I turned on my new machine, to install Windows XP in a new Raptor (with no
> other drives). I loaded the SATA driver, went as far as beginning to
> partition the drive, made the first partition ok, then while I was making
> the next partition, I _think_ that I pushed some wrong key, stuff happend
> very fast so I'm not sure what went on right next, and I turned off the
> machine. Now when I turn it on again, it boots up to showing "Verifying
> DMI Pool data..." on the screen, and then "error loading operating
> system" and stops there.

That happened to me yesterday, installing XP on a WD 250G SATA.

Make sure you've got boot order right in the BIOS. By default it
tries to boot from the HD, then the CD-ROM, then the floppy. That's
fine the first time you try it. There's nothing on the HD so it boots
from the CD-ROM.

But doing the partition stuff on XP seems to put something on the
drive that makes the M/B think it's bootable - even though you haven't
yet successfully installed the OS. So it hangs if you then try to
reboot befoe you've installed the OS.

The solution is to make the CD-ROM (or floppy if you're booting from
that) the *first* device in the boot order.

--
Colin

In article <2cb84af7.0410140613.6ff612b@posting.google.com>,
colin@wilsonc.demon.co.uk says...
> Peregrin <yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd6c3157dc8a8229896aa@news.easynews.com>...
>
> > I turned on my new machine, to install Windows XP in a new Raptor (with no
> > other drives). I loaded the SATA driver, went as far as beginning to
> > partition the drive, made the first partition ok, then while I was making
> > the next partition, I _think_ that I pushed some wrong key, stuff happend
> > very fast so I'm not sure what went on right next, and I turned off the
> > machine. Now when I turn it on again, it boots up to showing "Verifying
> > DMI Pool data..." on the screen, and then "error loading operating
> > system" and stops there.
>
> That happened to me yesterday, installing XP on a WD 250G SATA.
>
> Make sure you've got boot order right in the BIOS. By default it
> tries to boot from the HD, then the CD-ROM, then the floppy. That's
> fine the first time you try it. There's nothing on the HD so it boots
> from the CD-ROM.
>
> But doing the partition stuff on XP seems to put something on the
> drive that makes the M/B think it's bootable - even though you haven't
> yet successfully installed the OS. So it hangs if you then try to
> reboot befoe you've installed the OS.
>
> The solution is to make the CD-ROM (or floppy if you're booting from
> that) the *first* device in the boot order.

That did it, thank you!

Mojo

<Peregrin <yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org>> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd966d6e606ee2f9896af@news.easynews.com>...
> In article <2cb84af7.0410140613.6ff612b@posting.google.com>,
> colin@wilsonc.demon.co.uk says...
> > Peregrin <yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd6c3157dc8a8229896aa@news.easynews.com>...
Sorry for top posting. I had looked at the thread as I as fighting
with my new 80 Gig Maxtor this weekend. I recalled the initial install
several years ago with no problems. After trying numerous approaches
and ideas, I resorted to putting an additional partion (actually cut
the main in half). Up until that point I got the Error Loaing
Operating System error. Fat 32 format did not make a difference. As
soon as I partitioned the drive it found the OS on the C:. With the
Fat 32 I got a NTLDR IS MISSING. This was resolved by formatting in
NTFS. I now believe it is my version of XP having trouble managing the
80 Gig drive. MS says update bios. Bios is good. At that point this is
all I could do to make it work. I could no go back in and combine with
Partition Magic. I will leave it for now.

MoJo