Samsung ML-1450 paper jams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, all -

I searched before posting but haven't seen anyone with the same
problem.

I bought a refurbished Samsung ML-1450 (out of warranty now) that jams
pretty much constantly. I wouldn't mind the occasional paper jam, but
when it happens the printer will sometimes spit out 2o or 30 sheets of
paper before it decides it's finished :-(

Feeding with the manual paper tray works pretty well so far so I've
pretty much narrowed the problem to the pickup rollers above the
regular paper tray or something in that area.

The rollers are in great shape - page count is about 12k pages and I
can't seem to figure out why this thing misfeeds. Sometimes it'll
print ten pages just fine, sometimes it'll jam on the first page.

Paper is within specs - I've tried just about everything except
performing a drop test on the printer ;-)

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks -

allan

Allan,

Where I work we bought about 20 ML-1450's. So far 7 of them exhibit
the paper pickup problem you describe. There is a solenoid that pulls
in a lever which then allows the lower paper pickup roller to turn and
feed in the paper. It appears the solenoid is not pulling in the
lever. You can see the lever and the solenoid if you pull out the
lower paper tray and look up and to the right of the lower paper
pickup roller. If you manually move the latch, the printer should
print one page when you put the tray back in.

Samsung has been no help. Some of these printers have not printed
that many pages in the 2 years we have had them. The manual feed tray
seems to work fine. I found a Samsung repair center near here that
will charge a flat rate of $75 plus parts to fix it.... but that
solenoid is on the main printer board (if that is the problem), and we
figure it isn't worth it.

I've tried monkeying around to see if I could get that lever to work
right, but haven't been successful.

Good Luck!

allan_grossman@hotmail.com (allan grossman) wrote in message news:<cab9517e.0405030421.127f08f1@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, all -
>
> I searched before posting but haven't seen anyone with the same
> problem.
>
> I bought a refurbished Samsung ML-1450 (out of warranty now) that jams
> pretty much constantly. I wouldn't mind the occasional paper jam, but
> when it happens the printer will sometimes spit out 2o or 30 sheets of
> paper before it decides it's finished :-(
>
> Feeding with the manual paper tray works pretty well so far so I've
> pretty much narrowed the problem to the pickup rollers above the
> regular paper tray or something in that area.
>
> The rollers are in great shape - page count is about 12k pages and I
> can't seem to figure out why this thing misfeeds. Sometimes it'll
> print ten pages just fine, sometimes it'll jam on the first page.
>
> Paper is within specs - I've tried just about everything except
> performing a drop test on the printer ;-)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> thanks -
>
> allan

The service manual is available here:
http://www.manuals4you.com/samsung

On 25 May 2004 16:02:23 -0700, avijjaa@yahoo.com (PRW) babbled:

->Allan,
->
[...]
->>
[...]

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone have an ML2151N manual ?

-Larry

"FF" <FredFarkle@laughsgalore.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> but
> ->> when it happens the printer will sometimes spit out 2o or 30
> sheets of
> ->> paper before it decides it's finished :-(
> ->>
> ->> Feeding with the manual paper tray works pretty well so far so
> I've
> ->> pretty much narrowed the problem to the pickup rollers above the
> ->> regular paper tray or something in that area.
> ->>
> ->> The rollers are in great shape - page count is about 12k pages and
> ->> can't seem to figure out why this thing misfeeds. Sometimes it'll
> ->> print ten pages just fine, sometimes it'll jam on the first page.
> ->>
> ->> Paper is within specs - I've tried just about everything except
> ->> performing a drop test on the printer ;-)

macg4t

Allan,

I have the same printer that just developed the same problem and I was able to fix it with alcohol and a q-tip. here is how I did it....

Turn off the printer, remove the lower tray and power and data cables, set the printer on its back ( the bottom of printer is facing out)

Look just below where the paper enters on the left side you will see big roller with a grey rubber grabber mounted on it the pickup wheel. Take a flashlight to shine just to the right of the wheel behind the metal plate.

You will see a solenoid and lever (it moves side to side or left to right) pull the solenoid lever to your right. The paper pickup roller will fall forward.

Now you can manually move the lever to right and left. Push the lever slightly hard to the right (solenoid engaged) if it sticks (and mine did) you will find a black pad that deteriorates and gets sticky and causes the lever on the solenoid to stick engaged. (it should move freely) I used a Q-tip and some alcohol to remove the sticky glue residue. Clean it and keep trying the lever until it moves freely (no hang up). Apply a little pressure in the engaged position (to the right) and make sure it doesn't stick. Once I did that it worked like new...

Ran a 20 page test with no problems... Good Luck and I hope this helps all those people with this printer!!

lniehuser

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
macg4t describes the solution in the previous post. I had the same issue with the gold lever sticking. I shot some silicon spray lubricant on the lever to solve the problem.

Thanks macg4t a million times :bounce:

Six months I've looked for solution..
Official service stated that some wheels are ruined and that they can't find one for replace, moreover there are no hope for finding ruined parts because printer is old etc.. :heink:
I tried to fix it alone, opened printer several times, but with no succes.
And finally by lucky incident I found this thread which save me at least 200euros :) for new printer and for useless new cartridge I just bought before troubles.

I followed your procedure, but couldn't remove sticky material. I take off whole bottom metal plate (not so simple procedure with lot of screws). Big problem was a full removing of gold lever (if someone with same problem reads this, be careful when removing try to understend how it is engaged - it require some force, but watch out to not break down little plastic holder downside :non:)(it is also hard to bring gold lever back after cleaning).

On metal disc below black pad, i found not just sticky glue, but also sticky pad-material (obviously parts of pad above) firmly glued on disc.
So alcohol only couldn't do a job - I have to clean disc with some hard tool (knife), handkerchief, and alcohol at last. Whole procedure takes few hours.

Hope that helps someone, at least as macg4t helps me :)

thanks again

DanO2

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hallelujah ...

Thanks macg4t & the person in the post just before mine (can't see your name next to the post when I go to reply; sorry) you gave me the clues to fix the problem.

I tried poking a cotton swab around in there but wasn't sure about what I was hitting/doing (old eyes+not enough light) so I decided to take the bottom off as well ...

The trick to taking off the gold lever is to "pop" out the plastic retainer just above it. If you push on the long retaining lug on the solenoid side of the retainer - it just pushes through the solenoid bracket and off . Then the gold lever falls off in your hand with no force required at all. Make sure you remove the spring first.

I scrapped all the black sticky pad material off and glued on, in the centre of the circular solenoid recess, a small disc of felt I cut out of scrap material I had in my drawer (~3-4mm thick).

Also when re-assembling the bottom plate watch out for the small black sprung loaded lever. I wasn't paying attention and disloged/bent it out of shape. Had to strip the plate off again to straighten the little lever after getting a paper miss-feed error on startup. It might be an idea to pull the lever back when assembling and "flick" it a couple of times when re-assembled to make sure it's functioning correctly.

Just printed a few pages and it didn't miss a beat ... thanks a tonne guys ...

tedcloak

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
macg4t's solution worked for me: Same problem, poked around with a alcohol-soaked Q-tip, and finally it stopped sticking. And should it start again, I now know what to do. That new cartridge on my shelf won't go to waste.

BTW, I bought a service and repair manual for the 1450 in the course of trying to solve the problem. It's in PDF format. I'd be happy to share. Email me: tcloak@unm.edu.

pogo57

Worked for me, too. I found our local brand of Q-tips were too fat to get into the space between the lever and the pad, so I tore a strip of thin material and wrapped it around a thin metal strip (a hacksaw blade, actually). This worked well, and the printer is functioning correctly again. Thanks!!