Asrock P4V88 RAID can 4xvideo card work in it?

I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
compatible?
4 answers Last reply
More about asrock p4v88 raid 4xvideo card work

    In article <m4ibd.17114$Qv5.13373@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, "Spark"
    <fred.pollard@snet.net> wrote:

    > I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
    > like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
    > specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
    > compatible?

    To start, there are the ATI info pages:

    http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
    http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

    The ATI8500 is universal 3.3V, 1.5V. That means it will request 1.5V
    from the motherboard, but will accept 3.3V operation if that is the
    only voltage the motherboard support.

    Since it supports 1.5V, it has a slot cut in the edge of the board
    that matches up with a 1.5V key in the AGP slot. As long as you can
    plug it in, it will not damage anything.

    For AGP 8X, the signal levels are 0.8V, but the I/O drivers are