Asrock P4V88 RAID can 4xvideo card work in it?

spark

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
compatible?

Paul

Splendid

In article <m4ibd.17114$Qv5.13373@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, "Spark"
<fred.pollard@snet.net> wrote:

> I'm looking at a Asrock P4V88 Raid MB and I have a ATI 8500 card that I'd
> like to put in it now until I get some more money for a new card. The board
> specs say it's 8x. The ATI is 4x. Does anyone know if it's backward
> compatible?

To start, there are the ATI info pages:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

The ATI8500 is universal 3.3V, 1.5V. That means it will request 1.5V
from the motherboard, but will accept 3.3V operation if that is the
only voltage the motherboard support.

Since it supports 1.5V, it has a slot cut in the edge of the board
that matches up with a 1.5V key in the AGP slot. As long as you can
plug it in, it will not damage anything.

For AGP 8X, the signal levels are 0.8V, but the I/O drivers are