wireless networking

Hi i am having some trouble networking my laptop to my main
system. I have installed the software to my laptop and
they find each other. But when i try to connect to the
internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
system. Can any one help
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking

    "Dean" <bonehead69@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi i am having some trouble networking my laptop to my main
    > system. I have installed the software to my laptop and
    > they find each other. But when i try to connect to the
    > internet on the laptop through the main one it does not
    > connect. Also i can not see the shared files from either
    > system. Can any one help

    How are you connecting to the network? Through a router, switch, hub, cable
    wireless, wireless access point, ad hoc set up?

    Hi i have a wireless laptop adapter, i think i am set up on
    ad hoc. i connect to the internet by usb broadband modem.

    >.

    Hi
    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    outer -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi
    Howvevr I might add that you would have a more flexible stable Network if
    the whole thing is around a Wireless cable/DSL Router. 802.11b Wireless
    Router can be found on sales for less than $20.

    Your problem is the USB Modem (USB modem do not work with regular cable/DSL
    Routers).

    If you plan in the near future to enlarge your network you would need to
    invest in an External Ethernet Modem, and if your Broadband is DSL I would
    do it even for single computer.

    DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

> [...]

    hi thanks for the advice could i use a ADSL MODEM WITH
    WIRELESS G ROUTER will this get round the problem.

    Dean

    if you are using a USB modem you will have to use a proxy program loaded on
    the computer connected to the mmodem in order to share your internet
    connection. I once had the same setup and used wingate as my proxy and it
    worked fine.

    I suggest getting a modem with an ethernet connection though, it would make
    your life alot easier.

    "Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    > outer -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > mspx?pf=trueHi
    > Howvevr I might add that you would have a more flexible stable Network if
    > the whole thing is around a Wireless cable/DSL Router. 802.11b Wireless
    > Router can be found on sales for less than $20.
    >
    > Your problem is the USB Modem (USB modem do not work with regular
    > cable/DSL
    > Routers).
    >
    > If you plan in the near future to enlarge your network you would need to
    > invest in an External Ethernet Modem, and if your Broadband is DSL I would
    > do it even for single computer.
    >
    > DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Laptops Wireless Connection Networking Wireless Networking