World of Warcraft on iPhone Still a Possibility, Says Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
WoW on a mobile device will require movement keys and a "I win" button. That pretty much sums up requirements for WoW these days.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I gave up on wow when I played the same raid about 20 times in one week(10 85's)

Yea, it's done for me... pvp is no good either, you have to be high on meth to keep up with it....

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I gave up on wow when I played the same raid about 20 times in one week(10 85's)Yea, it's done for me... pvp is no good either, you have to be high on meth to keep up with it....[/citation]

Ritalin works too.. though I suppose that still is "meth"ylphenidate

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]WoW on a mobile device will require movement keys and a "I win" button. That pretty much sums up requirements for WoW these days.[/citation]

most classes have a 5-6 key rotation for max dps in thier spec, with other moves or trinkets thrown in for optimisation. provided you gave an auto run key and a side bar for your moves or a bluetooth controler I think it could work. for me it'd make long trips more interesting but basically would be a novelty, but for some it might be useful

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Wow had its days for sure, however Blizzard now only provides 8 bosses in the end... over and over in raid finder, normal and heroic difficultys.. same booring eight over and over for months.

What a thrilling game it have become lately - thank you Blizzard for making the subscription so incredible worthwile /end sarcasm

I rather even do my dishes over and over than do thoose booring eight again and again for months, its Blizzards reluctance to add new REAL content even thoo they get about $120.000.000 each MONTH from their subscribers, shame that Activision got their corrupted grasp on Blizzard, the once great company havent been the same since!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Wow had its days for sure, however Blizzard now only provides 8 bosses in the end... over and over in raid finder, normal and heroic difficultys.. same booring eight over and over for months.What a thrilling game it have become lately - thank you Blizzard for making the subscription so incredible worthwile /end sarcasmI rather even do my dishes over and over than do thoose booring eight again and again for months, its Blizzards reluctance to add new REAL content even thoo they get about $120.000.000 each MONTH from their subscribers, shame that Activision got their corrupted grasp on Blizzard, the once great company havent been the same since![/citation]

actually, activision isn't allowed to touch blizzard, at least from my understanding.
and even looking at the moves they make, i can see the whys.

diablo 3 in game auction house (real money, or fake) people set up trades and pay over ebay anyway, why try to stop it, when you cant stop it?

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
"Would Blizzard gain more subscribers if World of Warcraft was natively playable on smartphones and tablets?"

Probably not. People start playing WoW, then realize that they're bored of it because it's rather dated. Putting dated software on a smartphone isn't going to increase subscribers as it's the same boring software. Just on a harder to use UI.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I would totally play it on my iPhone, even if the controls sucked. There's more to do than just raiding and this would open up new ways for me to waste my time while I'm at work. Maybe I'd even play it during my commute.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]actually, activision isn't allowed to touch blizzard, at least from my understanding. and even looking at the moves they make, i can see the whys.diablo 3 in game auction house (real money, or fake) people set up trades and pay over ebay anyway, why try to stop it, when you cant stop it?[/citation]

i got downvoted for that? well here

Vivendi is the group that owns activism, and they also own blizzard, and they keep the two seperate, and Vivendi told activision they are not allowed to touch blizzard, at least that to my understanding of back than, its possible that changed, now that activision has modern warfare and probably pulls more money than blizzard does.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]"Would Blizzard gain more subscribers if World of Warcraft was natively playable on smartphones and tablets?"Probably not. People start playing WoW, then realize that they're bored of it because it's rather dated. Putting dated software on a smartphone isn't going to increase subscribers as it's the same boring software. Just on a harder to use UI.[/citation]

So by dated you mean graphically? Because I haven't seen even WoW's graphical quality in a smartphone yet. The only other thing that you could be refering to is "dated" gameplay, which is also not true since WoW is ahead of most other MMOs on features. WoW only feels dated for people who played it for a long time before.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm so glad I quite WoW when I did. As soon as we were in the top 100 for downing 25H LK, I was out.

I think it was around June 2010, or something. I just had enough, lied to my guild about a death in the family, and sold my toon.

Was one of the best decisions I ever made. Fucking game took away my life (easily 40+ hours a week). I'd hate to see myself that addicted to ANYTHING ever again.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Neverdyne[/nom]So by dated you mean graphically? Because I haven't seen even WoW's graphical quality in a smartphone yet. The only other thing that you could be refering to is "dated" gameplay, which is also not true since WoW is ahead of most other MMOs on features. WoW only feels dated for people who played it for a long time before.[/citation]

Well, I've only been playing for a year and love it quite completely. I did mean the gameplay as being dated. I've had loads of friends try it, only to exclaim "oh, this is like SkyRim/Dragon Age/Fallout/etc." They don't really find anything new and amazing worth $15 per month, so they just quit. I know that WoW has pioneered many elements present in various MMO, RPG, and miscellaneous games, but many players don't know or care about that. They just want something new and fun.

Longtime players may use some features of a mobile WoW, but usually those players have so many addons, macros, and customizations that they may not enjoy a seemingly bland mobile version for too long. And the newcomers may not enjoy it simply because they've played a lot of other games out there with similar elements as WoW as it is. $15 a month is a lot to pay for something you're only casually enjoying.

As for the harder to use UI, I can't imagine it working well enough to bring in more subscribers. I mean I have a Razer Naga and still use a lot of keys off the keyboard. I can't imagine having that many buttons available easily on a tablet, while still having a D-Pad for movement. And if you do cram all that onto the tablet, then it'll reduce the screen real-estate space quite significantly. That's not to mention that you'll continuously have to keep moving your eyes away from the action to be sure you pressed the right button. It'll be fun as a "look what I can do, play WoW!" perspective, but I feel that people will get tired of it easily and just want to play on the computer.

So in short, I do not think that a mobile WoW will increase subscribers for Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.