Managing Windows ME & XP, each in a separate partition

I have always assumed that
1) one cannot open an application installed under one Operating System
from the other. Violating this rule can mess up the OS.
2) however data files can be accessed from either Operating System

Are these assumptions true?

The question now I have is: How is the RAM managed? Is it completely
cleared when each OS is closed and is the whole of it available to the
other OS when that is opened? Or is part of the RAM used as an
overhead for inter-OS accesses of data, for example:
If I access a graphics file stored in the ME partition from an
application on the XP partition, is the RAM messed up?

P. Jayant
2 answers Last reply
More about managing windows separate partition

    Rule 2: Only XP will be able to read the ME partition. ME can only read
    FAT32 partition and XP's NTFS partitions will not be seen in ME. NTFS
    partitions are more stable of XP and XP can only create a 32GB FAT32
    partition (note: XP can read any size of FAT32 partitoin. It can not
    create a FAT32 partiton large than 32 GB).

    Each operating system will clear the RAM out before starting up.
    ME may still have problems with RAM greater the 512MB. (I never used ME but
    Windows 98 Se had this problem)

    When in XP, you could access any file on the ME partition. Just make sure
    you use the same version of the application (ie: Word 2000 in Xp and in ME)
    so that you do not convert the file to a newer format.

    NORE: You will never be able to run both XP and ME at the same time! This
    is not possible without using Microsoft's Virtual Server (???) product.

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

    >Rule 2: Only XP will be able to read the ME partition. ME can only read
    >FAT32 partition and XP's NTFS partitions will not be seen in ME. NTFS
    >partitions are more stable of XP and XP can only create a 32GB FAT32
    >partition (note: XP can read any size of FAT32 partitoin. It can not
    >create a FAT32 partiton large than 32 GB).
    >

    >Each operating system will clear the RAM out before starting up.
    >ME may still have problems with RAM greater the 512MB. (I never used ME but
    >Windows 98 Se had this problem)

    WindowsMe has the same limitations with RAM. All that is normally
    needed is a simple configuration setting, same as Windows 98.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service