Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS

nbk

Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

This is bizarre,
NBK

Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.

"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i playing
> the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz Prescott
> from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
> Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
> sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
> Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.
>
> This is bizarre,
> NBK

What motherboard and power supply?

"ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.
>
> "NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>> Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
>> playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
>> Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
>> Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
>> sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
>> Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt
>> PSU.
>>
>> This is bizarre,
>> NBK

Paul

Splendid

In article <vkWbd.26376$n%3.3860641@twister.southeast.rr.com>, NBK
<no@spam.net> wrote:

> Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
> playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
> Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
> Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
> sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
> Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.
>
> This is bizarre,
> NBK

When is the last time you had a look inside the APC ? We had
some at work once, that had battery contacts that could work
loose. The battery itself will eventually fail as well, but I
don't know what symptoms you could expect from that (dunno if
the beeper is tied to battery status, or is tied to just the
AC status on input side).

Paul

nbk

Pete D wrote:
> What motherboard and power supply?
>
> "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.
>>
>>"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
>>>playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
>>>Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
>>>Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
>>>sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
>>>Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt
>>>PSU.
>>>
>>>This is bizarre,
>>>NBK

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU

nbk

ocbwilg wrote:
> Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.
>
> "NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i playing
>>the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz Prescott
>>from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
>>Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
>>sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
>>Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.
>>
>>This is bizarre,
>>NBK

Thanks for responding...
Ocbwilg what can i do about the sag in the line? Buy another UPS?

> Pete D wrote:
>> What motherboard and power supply?
>>
>> "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.
>>>
>>>"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message

> ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU

With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the batteries?

nbk

Pete D wrote:
> "NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Pete D wrote:
>>
>>>What motherboard and power supply?
>>>
>>>"ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU
>

> With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
> P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
> supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
> your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the batteries?

I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
thanks
NBK

APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is 500
so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC can
deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If your
printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA unit.
Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give you
longer run time in the event of loss of power.

>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>From: NBK no@spam.net
>Date: 10/16/2004 8:29 AM Eastern Standard Time
>
>Pete D wrote:
>> "NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message

>>>ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU
>>

>> With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
>> P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
>> supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
>
>> your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the
>batteries?
>>

>I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
>back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
>the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
>thanks
>NBK

nbk

LeeBos wrote:
> APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is 500
> so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
> equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
> The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC can
> deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If your
> printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA unit.
> Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give you
> longer run time in the event of loss of power.
>

>>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>From: NBK no@spam.net
>>Date: 10/16/2004 8:29 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>Pete D wrote:
>>
>>>"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message

>>>With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
>>>P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
>>>supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
>>
>>>your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the
>>
>>batteries?
>>

>>I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
>>back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
>>the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
>>thanks
>>NBK

It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
dEXTER

>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>From: NBK no@spam.net
>Date: 10/16/2004 9:42 AM Eastern Standard Time
>
>LeeBos wrote:
>> APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is
>500
>> so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
>> equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
>> The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC
>can
>> deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If
>your
>> printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA
>unit.
>> Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give
>you
>> longer run time in the event of loss of power.
>>

>>>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>>From: NBK no@spam.net
>>>Date: 10/16/2004 8:29 AM Eastern Standard Time

>line.

>is

>>>batteries?
>>>

>>>I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
>>>back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
>>>the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
>>>thanks
>>>NBK
>>>

>It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
>bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
>dEXTER

Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
push it into overload.
You really need a larger UPS.

nbk

LeeBos wrote:
>>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>From: NBK no@spam.net
>>Date: 10/16/2004 9:42 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>LeeBos wrote:
>>
>>>APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is
>>
>>500
>>
>>>so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
>>>equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
>>>The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC
>>
>>can
>>
>>>deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If
>>
>>your
>>
>>>printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA
>>
>>unit.
>>
>>>Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give
>>
>>you
>>
>>>longer run time in the event of loss of power.

>>line.

>>is

>>It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
>>bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
>>dEXTER
>>

> Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
> guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
> probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
> overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
> beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
> push it into overload.
> You really need a larger UPS.
Thanks for all your responses,
I will probably give APC a call and buy a more powerful UPS.
NBK

nbk

NBK wrote:
> LeeBos wrote:
>
>>> Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>> From: NBK no@spam.net Date: 10/16/2004 9:42 AM Eastern Standard Time

>>> 500

>>> can

>>> your

>>> unit.

>>> you

>>> line.

>>> is

>>> It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
>>> bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
>>> dEXTER
>>>

>> Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's
>> just a
>> guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS
>> was
>> probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
>> overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system
>> that
>> beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is
>> enough to
>> push it into overload.
>> You really need a larger UPS.
>
> Thanks for all your responses,
> I will probably give APC a call and buy a more powerful UPS.
> NBK
Will this UPS do
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270206

nbk

snip_______________

> Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
> guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
> probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
> overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
> beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
> push it into overload.
> You really need a larger UPS.

Will this APC UPS do
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212

>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>From: NBK no@spam.net
>Date: 10/16/2004 5:25 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>NBK wrote:

>>> Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's
>>> just a
>>> guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS
>>> was
>>> probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
>>> overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system
>>> that
>>> beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is
>>> enough to
>>> push it into overload.
>>> You really need a larger UPS.
>>
>> Thanks for all your responses,
>> I will probably give APC a call and buy a more powerful UPS.
>> NBK
>Will this UPS do
>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270206

Yes, but a bit expensive.

>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>From: NBK no@spam.net
>Date: 10/16/2004 5:44 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>snip_______________
>>

>> Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
>> guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
>> probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
>> overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
>> beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough
>> push it into overload.
>> You really need a larger UPS.
>
>Will this APC UPS do
>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212

Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one without any
problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4 Celeron, Laser
printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB 2 HDD.

This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime you can
connect another battery pack to it.

nbk

LeeBos wrote:
>>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>From: NBK no@spam.net
>>Date: 10/16/2004 5:44 PM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>snip_______________
>>

>>>Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
>>>guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
>>>probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
>>>overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
>>>beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough

>>>push it into overload.
>>>You really need a larger UPS.
>>
>>Will this APC UPS do
>>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212
>>

> Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one without any
> problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4 Celeron, Laser
> printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB 2 HDD.
>
> This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime you can
> connect another battery pack to it.

Thanks LeeBos

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:53:31 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> When is the last time you had a look inside the APC ? We had
> some at work once, that had battery contacts that could work
> loose.

Yes! My APC UPS did tell me that the battery was low, but
that was only the battery contacts that need some tightening.
The battery contacts must be very, very tight because of all
current from the battery. Its about 40-50 ampere!

"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message

| Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
without any
| problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
Celeron, Laser
| printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
2 HDD.

| This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
you can
| connect another battery pack to it.

I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
appetite is lessening nowadays.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i playing
> the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz Prescott
> from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
> Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
> sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
> Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.
>
> This is bizarre,
> NBK
Does your UPS have voltage switches on it that you can set the alarm to
differernt voltage drop before it goes off?
I don't have one in front of me but the one I have at work has some little
small switches on it that you slide for .5 V drop 1.0 V drop etc...
all have to do is set it up a little.

>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>From: "Kylesb" me@privacy.net
>Date: 10/17/2004 3:59 AM Eastern Standard Time
>
>"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
>|

>| Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
>without any
>| problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
>Celeron, Laser
>| printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
>2 HDD.
>|
>| This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
>you can
>| connect another battery pack to it.
>|

>I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
>connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
>power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
>appetite is lessening nowadays.
>
>--
>Best regards,
>Kyle

I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into one of the non
battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge protection.

nbk

Larry wrote:
> "NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i playing
>>the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz Prescott
>>from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
>>Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
>>sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
>>Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.
>>
>>This is bizarre,
>>NBK
>
> Does your UPS have voltage switches on it that you can set the alarm to
> differernt voltage drop before it goes off?
> I don't have one in front of me but the one I have at work has some little
> small switches on it that you slide for .5 V drop 1.0 V drop etc...
> all have to do is set it up a little.

It is the UPS's red overload LED that comes on when i play Doom 3 or
Unreal II.

nbk

LeeBos wrote:
>>Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
>>From: "Kylesb" me@privacy.net
>>Date: 10/17/2004 3:59 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>"LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
>>|

>>| Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
>>without any
>>| problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
>>Celeron, Laser
>>| printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
>>2 HDD.
>>|
>>| This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
>>you can
>>| connect another battery pack to it.
>>|

>>I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
>>connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
>>power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
>>appetite is lessening nowadays.
>>
>>--
>>Best regards,
>>Kyle
>>

> I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into one of the non
> battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge protection.

I moved my HP Photosmart 7550 printer off my UPS to no avail.

| LeeBos wrote:
| > I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into
one of the non
| > battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge
protection.

| I moved my HP Photosmart 7550 printer off my UPS to no avail.

What is the exact model UPS? I suggest a review of the tech literature
on the UPS to ascertain whether it will complain if the total load on
the UPS will trigger such an overload reaction. Perhaps the
"non-power failure" current load is in excess of some specified limit.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Hi,
Do you have PowerChute installed?
You can check the line voltage & current draw (watts) in PowerChute.
(monitor system>current status)
Write down the readings then with the wattage window open start Doom 3.
What happens?

--

John
johnf202 at hotmail dot com