Cannot run two device installations - well I only want one.

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Im trying to add a Lexmark Printer/Scanner/Fax to my
computer - running Windows XP via a USB cable.

When I attach the printer to the computer via the USB
cable - nothing appears on the screen, (i.e. it does not
say I have attached any USB devices).

When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
hardware ssetup is already running.

The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
gonig into control panel and add new hardware.

Error message is:-
You can only install only one device at a time.
Another device installation is underway, when it is
finished you cant try this wizard again.

I cant find any other install running. (No applications
running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
but not sure if I would recognise it there).

Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
how to kill it - much appreciated.

Note checked via connection to my laptop and it worked.

Thanks in advance
Colin

Carl

I would try disconecting the device from pc and reboot , then install the
software first then reboot and connect the device and see what happens. It
is probably trying to install all those drivers and can't find them in
windows.
Hope this helps--
Carl
"Colin" <cambsman_sn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Im trying to add a Lexmark Printer/Scanner/Fax to my
> computer - running Windows XP via a USB cable.
>
> When I attach the printer to the computer via the USB
> cable - nothing appears on the screen, (i.e. it does not
> say I have attached any USB devices).
>
> When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
> hardware ssetup is already running.
>
> The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
> gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
>
> Error message is:-
> You can only install only one device at a time.
> Another device installation is underway, when it is
> finished you cant try this wizard again.
>
> I cant find any other install running. (No applications
> running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
> but not sure if I would recognise it there).
>
> Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
> how to kill it - much appreciated.
>
> Note checked via connection to my laptop and it worked.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Colin

In message <22ffd01c45dd2$bbaeb1c0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, Colin
<cambsman_sn@hotmail.com> writes

Your "Add Hardware Wizard" has gone crazy. Think back and you may be
able to remember some previous failed hardware installation that the
thing thinks is still in progress. All the things I tried to unwind from
a badly failed HP5300C scanner install made no difference at all. I
haven't found a fix yet.

>When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
>hardware ssetup is already running.
>
>The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
>gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
>
>Error message is:-
>You can only install only one device at a time.
>Another device installation is underway, when it is
>finished you cant try this wizard again.
>
>I cant find any other install running. (No applications
>running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
>but not sure if I would recognise it there).
>
>Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
>how to kill it - much appreciated.

If you do find a solution please post it. I am very close to
reinstalling the entire WinXP from scratch since it is useless to me if
I cannot add new hardware. It is really annoying that it doesn't say
which "other" device installation it thinks is in progress and why.

I have trawled the registry and found nothing useful. I suspect there is
a locked hidden file somewhere but the big question is where ?

These fancy Wizards are all very well, but they are too fragile and die
far too easily. And it appears that they are all but impossible to
resurrect.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Colin,

I am not familiar with your particular printer but, some printer's
installation requires you to install the software, including drivers, before
physically installing the printer. Re-read the instructions that came with
your printer and see if this is the case.

LOL, JAX

"Colin" <cambsman_sn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Im trying to add a Lexmark Printer/Scanner/Fax to my
> computer - running Windows XP via a USB cable.
>
> When I attach the printer to the computer via the USB
> cable - nothing appears on the screen, (i.e. it does not
> say I have attached any USB devices).
>
> When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
> hardware ssetup is already running.
>
> The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
> gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
>
> Error message is:-
> You can only install only one device at a time.
> Another device installation is underway, when it is
> finished you cant try this wizard again.
>
> I cant find any other install running. (No applications
> running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
> but not sure if I would recognise it there).
>
> Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
> how to kill it - much appreciated.
>
> Note checked via connection to my laptop and it worked.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Colin

I think you are right.
I have tried recovering back 3 months.
I have run hdvalet - to tidy up all temporary files
I have run regclean - to tidy up the registry
I am not in the desperate stage of running regmon to see what bits of registry are being accessed.
The printer/scanner/fax worked fine when I attached it to my laptop.
When I originally connected it to the PC - I was not logged in - ie my screen was at the login page.
I have checkled my account which has administrator priviledges and all the other non administrator accounts.
The printer is completely detached.
There are no issues in device manager - everything looks clean.
As does my head - now that I have pulled out all my hair!

God I hate Windows
Regards
Colin

"Martin Brown" wrote:

> In message <22ffd01c45dd2$bbaeb1c0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, Colin
> <cambsman_sn@hotmail.com> writes
>
> Your "Add Hardware Wizard" has gone crazy. Think back and you may be
> able to remember some previous failed hardware installation that the
> thing thinks is still in progress. All the things I tried to unwind from
> a badly failed HP5300C scanner install made no difference at all. I
> haven't found a fix yet.
>
> >When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
> >hardware ssetup is already running.
> >
> >The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
> >gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
> >
> >Error message is:-
> >You can only install only one device at a time.
> >Another device installation is underway, when it is
> >finished you cant try this wizard again.
> >
> >I cant find any other install running. (No applications
> >running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
> >but not sure if I would recognise it there).
> >
> >Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
> >how to kill it - much appreciated.
>
> If you do find a solution please post it. I am very close to
> reinstalling the entire WinXP from scratch since it is useless to me if
> I cannot add new hardware. It is really annoying that it doesn't say
> which "other" device installation it thinks is in progress and why.
>
> I have trawled the registry and found nothing useful. I suspect there is
> a locked hidden file somewhere but the big question is where ?
>
> These fancy Wizards are all very well, but they are too fragile and die
> far too easily. And it appears that they are all but impossible to
> resurrect.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Martin Brown

Zako

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003

Hi Colin, I have exactly the same problem with my laptop running windows XP
pro, if I try adding any new hardware I get that stupid message (hardware
setup already running) and I am currently going nuts trying to install an
external soundcard! it simply will not accept ANY new hardware! I can't
find a fix anywhere!!

"Colin" wrote:

> Im trying to add a Lexmark Printer/Scanner/Fax to my
> computer - running Windows XP via a USB cable.
>
> When I attach the printer to the computer via the USB
> cable - nothing appears on the screen, (i.e. it does not
> say I have attached any USB devices).
>
> When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
> hardware ssetup is already running.
>
> The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
> gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
>
> Error message is:-
> You can only install only one device at a time.
> Another device installation is underway, when it is
> finished you cant try this wizard again.
>
> I cant find any other install running. (No applications
> running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
> but not sure if I would recognise it there).
>
> Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
> how to kill it - much appreciated.
>
> Note checked via connection to my laptop and it worked.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Colin

Len

Not a whole lot of help but... remember there were cases of this issue being
reported in the (long ago) past. I do not remember what the resolution was
but pretty sure there was one. You might try a Google group search for
"install only one device" or some such to find previous threads.

The problem did not occur on my machines so do not know what the needed
actions are.

FWIW,
Len
"Zako" <Zako@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Colin, I have exactly the same problem with my laptop running windows
> XP
> pro, if I try adding any new hardware I get that stupid message (hardware
> setup already running) and I am currently going nuts trying to install an
> external soundcard! it simply will not accept ANY new hardware! I can't
> find a fix anywhere!!
>
> "Colin" wrote:
>
>> Im trying to add a Lexmark Printer/Scanner/Fax to my
>> computer - running Windows XP via a USB cable.
>>
>> When I attach the printer to the computer via the USB
>> cable - nothing appears on the screen, (i.e. it does not
>> say I have attached any USB devices).
>>
>> When I go to run the setup program it cpmplains a
>> hardware ssetup is already running.
>>
>> The same thing happens (tried after a reboot) of just
>> gonig into control panel and add new hardware.
>>
>> Error message is:-
>> You can only install only one device at a time.
>> Another device installation is underway, when it is
>> finished you cant try this wizard again.
>>
>> I cant find any other install running. (No applications
>> running). Nothing that I think is an install in processes
>> but not sure if I would recognise it there).
>>
>> Any advise on how to find out what install is running and
>> how to kill it - much appreciated.
>>
>> Note checked via connection to my laptop and it worked.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Colin

Hi Colin,

I have the same problem and cannot run anything via "Add New Hardware". My
HR PSC 2210 has only worked once and since then I have had this problem.

I have tried rebooting, puging files, auto and manual searches etc for
traces of the installed device and cannot find a thing.

Going by the posts with regard to this issue, there is a decided lack of
resonse from Microsoft despite my sending error reports in the past.

Another frustrated XP user.