a7v880 and zalman cnps7000A-Cu

Hi ,
I am planning to buy this motherboard but can it be used together with this
Zalman cooler?
This MB is too new to be mentioned on the Zalman website.
Regards Boldy

Paul

Splendid

In article <41703472$0$88472$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>, "boldy"
<miesboldy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am planning to buy this motherboard but can it be used together with this
> Zalman cooler?
> This MB is too new to be mentioned on the Zalman website.
> Regards Boldy

One way to test a motherboard for fit, is to extract the pictures
of the motherboard from the manual, and overlay a picture of the
Zalman on top of it. The Zalman has a 55mm radius, and by drawing
a circle with 110mm diameter on the picture of the motherboard,
to scale, you get an idea of the fit.

I did the analysis for my A7N8X-E, and the edge of the Zalman pokes
above the top edge of the motherboard. That means the PSU cannot be
flush with the top edge of the motherboard, but has to be at least
8mm (1/3" or so) from the top of the motherboard. Really small computer
cases don't allow this, so you also need to examine the computer
case you are using, with that motherboard. A really small case only
allows 1mm clearance between the case of the PSU and the top of the
motherboard.

I just popped your A7V880 into a drawing tool, and by comparison,
the A7V880 socket is a little more "south" on the motherboard. This
means the Zalman overhangs the top edge of the motherboard by 2mm or
3mm or so. There seems to be enough clearance to the left and right,
and the DIMMs are completely clear of the 55mm radius.

The Northbridge analysis is a bit more difficult. I missed this when
checking the fit, before I bought the Zalman 7000A for my A7N8X-E.
The Northbridge, on both boards, falls within the 55mm radius of the
body of the heatsink. The Northbridge comes very close to the fins -
at first I thought it was touching, but after getting all the screws
installed, I can pull a piece of paper between the Northbridge
and the Zalman. It is important they don't touch, because while you
are tightening down the Zalman, you don't want it "leaning" on the
Northbridge and cracking something. It turns out the Northbridge
fins bend pretty easily, but what happens depends on what direction
they are pushed from.

In any case, there could be slightly more clearance to your
Northbridge. The type of Northbridge heatsink looks the same as the
one on my Northbridge, so I don't think yours is any taller. Mine
uses the "pure aluminum cheese grater".

As near as I can tell, it fits.

Post your actual results, so others can benefit.
(Even if it doesn't fit, it should be easy to resell.)

Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-1510042338260001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <41703472$0$88472$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>, "boldy"
> <miesboldy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi ,
> > I am planning to buy this motherboard but can it be used together with this
> > Zalman cooler?
> > This MB is too new to be mentioned on the Zalman website.
> > Regards Boldy

Also, since the socket is rotated, from the way the socket is
oriented on the A7N8X-E, you have to worry about the clamp arm
that screws into the two brackets. The clamp arm comes near to
the Northbridge, but it looks like there might be 2mm clearance
there. If there isn't sufficient clearance, you can cut a
small section off the end of the clamp, as only the inner screw
holes are used. I think people modify the clamp arm, when installing
on one of the Abit NF7 family of boards. They have to cut a
small piece off the end, to avoid hitting a capacitor. I think
your board has enough clearance to the Northbridge, but if there
isn't, you can cut a piece off to make room.

Paul

Wow thanks Paul,
U put a lot of work for me in there,
Today is the so-called PC-dump day,i am gonne buy the stuff and let u know
if u are right!
Regards Boldy

> In article <nospam-1510042338260001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
> (Paul) wrote:
>
>> In article <41703472$0$88472$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl>, "boldy"
>> <miesboldy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi ,
>> > I am planning to buy this motherboard but can it be used together with
>> > this
>> > Zalman cooler?
>> > This MB is too new to be mentioned on the Zalman website.
>> > Regards Boldy
>>
> Also, since the socket is rotated, from the way the socket is
> oriented on the A7N8X-E, you have to worry about the clamp arm
> that screws into the two brackets. The clamp arm comes near to
> the Northbridge, but it looks like there might be 2mm clearance
> there. If there isn't sufficient clearance, you can cut a
> small section off the end of the clamp, as only the inner screw
> holes are used. I think people modify the clamp arm, when installing
> on one of the Abit NF7 family of boards. They have to cut a
> small piece off the end, to avoid hitting a capacitor. I think
> your board has enough clearance to the Northbridge, but if there
> isn't, you can cut a piece off to make room.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,
The casing didnt leave enough room between the MoBo and the Power supply so
i had to settle for a more standard cooler :(
Thanks for the support,i really appreciate it.
regards Boldy