P4C800-E, Linux, SATA and RAID 0

Hello,

I bought a P4C800-E. I want to use this motherboard with Debian Linux
(Sarge). I have 2 80G hard drives (SATA) and I want to use this drives
in RAID 0 mode.

What is the situation with drivers for my motherboard? Should I connect both
drives to the Intel ICH5R or to the Promise 20378 controller?

Next question :
Is there a driver available for the ethernet controller?

Best regards

Ralph

 Ralph Stens
 email : ralph.stens@r-stens.de

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:03:55 +0200, Ralph Stens
<ralph.stens@r-stens.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I bought a P4C800-E. I want to use this motherboard with Debian Linux
>(Sarge). I have 2 80G hard drives (SATA) and I want to use this drives
>in RAID 0 mode.
>
>What is the situation with drivers for my motherboard? Should I connect both
>drives to the Intel ICH5R or to the Promise 20378 controller?

It is generally believed that the ICH5R offers a performance advantage
over the Promise controller in a RAID configuration. The Promise
controller has to compete with other traffic on the PCI bus while the
Intel does not. I have no information regarding chipset and ethernet
drivers for Linux...

Regards,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Ralph Stens wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I bought a P4C800-E. I want to use this motherboard with Debian Linux
> (Sarge). I have 2 80G hard drives (SATA) and I want to use this drives
> in RAID 0 mode.
>
> What is the situation with drivers for my motherboard? Should I connect
> both drives to the Intel ICH5R or to the Promise 20378 controller?
>
> Next question :
> Is there a driver available for the ethernet controller?
>
> Best regards
>
> Ralph

> Ralph Stens
> email : ralph.stens@r-stens.de

I use a P4P800 E deluxe running Gentoo and Slackware and a few others. I
think the board is similar but you need to check the exact model of the
ethernet controller, chances are its the Yukon 100M/1G controller the same
as the P4P800.
If thats the case you need the kernel module sk98lin and your ethernet will
run happily under linux. The kernel module is found under the net modules,
ethernet 1000M section of the kernel config. HTH

The P4C800E-Dlx has an Intel ethernet controller. Both SuSE 9.1 and Fedora
picked it up on install and worked perfectly -- moreover (IIRC) there is a
linux driver for it on Intel's web site. The RAID array is a more difficult
matter. I went through the agonies of the damned before I could get a dual
boot system up and working with two SATA drives, one IDE, and two CD.
Finally managed it in enhanced mode on the ICH5 controller with the Promise
controller disabled in BIOS. Good luck!

formerprof

"anc" <anc@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ralph Stens wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a P4C800-E. I want to use this motherboard with Debian Linux
>> (Sarge). I have 2 80G hard drives (SATA) and I want to use this drives
>> in RAID 0 mode.
>>
>> What is the situation with drivers for my motherboard? Should I connect
>> both drives to the Intel ICH5R or to the Promise 20378 controller?
>>
>> Next question :
>> Is there a driver available for the ethernet controller?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Ralph

>> Ralph Stens
>> email : ralph.stens@r-stens.de
>
> I use a P4P800 E deluxe running Gentoo and Slackware and a few others. I
> think the board is similar but you need to check the exact model of the
> ethernet controller, chances are its the Yukon 100M/1G controller the same
> as the P4P800.
> If thats the case you need the kernel module sk98lin and your ethernet
> will
> run happily under linux. The kernel module is found under the net modules,
> ethernet 1000M section of the kernel config. HTH

I am trying to use a Lexar Jumpdrive 1G with a 4-port USB2 hub. When I plug
the jumpdrive into a port on the hub, I get a message stating that "USB Hub
Power Exceeded". I am aware of the following article (I am running XP Pro
SP2):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893#appliesto

Does anyone know of a workaround? Right now, the only way I can use my
jumpdrive is to crawl on the floor to the back of the computer and plug it
directly into the USB port on the computer. If I do it that way, it works
perfectly.

Any suggestions, workarounds, etc will be greatly appreciated (and will
reduce the strain on my back from crawling on the floor).

How is the hub powered??

From that same article you quoted:

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, you must power the USB device by an external
power source if one is available for the device. For example, you may be
able to use an AC adapter to power the USB device.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How is the hub powered??
>
> From that same article you quoted:
>
> WORKAROUND
> To work around this issue, you must power the USB device by an external
> power source if one is available for the device. For example, you may be
> able to use an AC adapter to power the USB device.

The hub is powered by plugging into an a/c outlet. The Lexar Jumpdrive
cannot be externally powered. BTW, this is a potentially dangerous
situation. I loaded some data onto the Jumpdrive for transfer to my office.
When I plugged the Jumpdrive into any of three computers in my office, it
failed to power up. I took it back to CompUSA to exchange for a new one, but
had I owned it for a while, I would have needed a warranty replacement or I
would have had to replace the unit at my own expense. I was trying the hub
because the case on my home computer doesn't have a front accessible USB
port. I just ordered a USB cable extension for about $8 on Ebay, which
should solve the problem, but it would be more efficient to use the hub.