Installing both an IDE and SATA HD in XP Pro

I have an 80 gig IDE HD I am trying to use as a back up.
It was formatted for windows, and will boot windows if set
as the primary drive. My primary drive is a 250 Gig SATA.
Which also has windows installed. I can get one or the
other to work but I can't get either to recognize them both
at the same time. I've tried every jumper and cable
configuration on my board, and I've tried using the CDs,
Downloaded Drivers, and installing through the control
panel of windows. Anyone have any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about installing sata

    Hi, Angel.

    Have you configured your BIOS properly? You need to enable both SATA and
    IDE, and set it to boot from SATA. Each mobo/BIOS is different, so my
    settings probably won't apply to your machine, but my owner's manual shows
    how to set my computer. Is your SATA controller built in to the mobo, or an
    add-on card? Did it come with adequate instructions? My computer has an
    onboard RAID controller; I have to enable that controller, then set it as
    the first boot device, all in the BIOS.

    Have you found Disk Management? This is a built-in utility (a snap-in to
    the Microsoft Management Console, the book says) in Windows 2000 and Windows
    XP. Many users haven't found it yet, but it is the right tool to use for
    managing hard drives and CD/DVD drives. There are several ways to get to
    Disk Management. My favorite is to type at the Run prompt: diskmgmt.msc

    Disk Management can be configured in several ways. I like to set the View
    to show the Volume List at the top and the Graphical Display at the bottom.
    And the Help file reached from here is more helpful than many others.

    With your cables, jumpers, BIOS, etc., set properly, and both HDs installed,
    boot into WinXP on SATA. Start Disk Management and see what it tells you
    about your IDE drive. Does it see that HD at all? Does it show one or more
    partitions on that HD?

    > Which also has windows installed. I can get one or the
    > other to work but I can't get either to recognize them both
    > at the same time.

    Do you mean you can't get it to dual-boot, letting you choose which Windows
    installation to run each time you reboot? That's probably easy to fix, but
    I won't get into it unless that is what you want to do. "One or the other"
    WHAT? Drive? Or Windows?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "angel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an 80 gig IDE HD I am trying to use as a back up.
    > It was formatted for windows, and will boot windows if set
    > as the primary drive. My primary drive is a 250 Gig SATA.
    > Which also has windows installed. I can get one or the
    > other to work but I can't get either to recognize them both
    > at the same time. I've tried every jumper and cable
    > configuration on my board, and I've tried using the CDs,
    > Downloaded Drivers, and installing through the control
    > panel of windows. Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks you were right my bios wasn't set up properly.
    Thanks for your help. :)

    Angela

    angel wrote:
    > I have an 80 gig IDE HD I am trying to use as a back up.
    > It was formatted for windows, and will boot windows if set
    > as the primary drive. My primary drive is a 250 Gig SATA.
    > Which also has windows installed. I can get one or the
    > other to work but I can't get either to recognize them both
    > at the same time. I've tried every jumper and cable
    > configuration on my board, and I've tried using the CDs,
    > Downloaded Drivers, and installing through the control
    > panel of windows. Anyone have any ideas?

    I would advise against it - you will notice a serious degradation in
    performance as the IDE will be a severe system bottleneck.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote...

    >> I have an 80 gig IDE HD I am trying to use as a back up.
    >
    > I would advise against it - you will notice a serious degradation in
    > performance as the IDE will be a severe system bottleneck.

    If the drive is used only as a backup, and is essentially idle except when
    in active use for copying files, it will do nothing to system performance.
    Also, depending on BIOS, the drive can be set to spin down after a
    certain time (e.g., 3 hours), and the unused IDE HD will not spin up with
    the system SATA drive. The only exception I've found so far on my system is
    that emptying the Recycle Bin will also poll the idle drive.

HD Windows XP