Problems with CD drive recognition.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Windows XP sp1-all fixes installed.

I have a cd/dvd reader, a cd/dvd writer and a flash card reader. If I boot
the machine with no media in the drive(s), explorer recognizes the physical
drive, but will not recognize any media when I insert it. I must reboot to
see anything in that drive.

If there is media in the drive when I boot, it will recognize when I open
explorer, but will not recognize when I change disks.

KSB

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi KSB

Delete the device via Device Manager, reboot and let Windows redetect.
Failing that, try to delete via Safe Mode. Reinstall the drivers.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Windows XP sp1-all fixes installed.
|
| I have a cd/dvd reader, a cd/dvd writer and a flash card reader. If I boot
| the machine with no media in the drive(s), explorer recognizes the
physical
| drive, but will not recognize any media when I insert it. I must reboot to
| see anything in that drive.
|
| If there is media in the drive when I boot, it will recognize when I open
| explorer, but will not recognize when I change disks.
|
| KSB

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Been there, done that. No luck.
Also, reinstalled OS.