CD rom drives

RJ

I uninstalled a program (Roxio Photosuite) the other night
and now it appears that my CDrom drives have disappeared.
I can't find them nor figure out how to get them back. It
won't even read a CD when placed into the drive. Can
someone please help me? Thank you.

Not sure if this will help but here is a link to a cdgone fix
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm here is a link to
the file http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip.

Glen P

"RJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I uninstalled a program (Roxio Photosuite) the other night
> and now it appears that my CDrom drives have disappeared.
> I can't find them nor figure out how to get them back. It
> won't even read a CD when placed into the drive. Can
> someone please help me? Thank you.

RJ

They still are MIA. This is so frustrating. Thank you
for your suggestion though. I am at a total loss. :(

JB

I'm having a somewhat similar problem...I recently upgraded to XP from Me. Before doing so, I saved all my "important" stuff onto CDROM and formatted the hard drive. Now I can't retrieve the information from those CDs. I can listen to pre recorded music, and even music CDs I created using Me. Does anyone have any ideas to to fix this? Any help would be greatle appreciated. Thanks

"RJ" wrote:

> They still are MIA. This is so frustrating. Thank you
> for your suggestion though. I am at a total loss. :(

jb did you use packet writing software like DirectCD or inCD. If so you need
to install either XP compatable versions or install a udf reader. That might
allow you to read the disc. If that is not the problem repost explaining how
you burnt the disc on winme.

Glen P

"jb" <jb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a somewhat similar problem...I recently upgraded to XP from Me.
Before doing so, I saved all my "important" stuff onto CDROM and formatted
the hard drive. Now I can't retrieve the information from those CDs. I can
listen to pre recorded music, and even music CDs I created using Me. Does
anyone have any ideas to to fix this? Any help would be greatle
appreciated. Thanks

> "RJ" wrote:
>
> > They still are MIA. This is so frustrating. Thank you
> > for your suggestion though. I am at a total loss. :(

Try this method from the following article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
I've used this method trying to restore missing CD drives in the past.

Good Luck,
John H. Wright, MCP

To resolve this behavior, use the following methods in the order that they
are presented in.
Method 1: Remove the registry entry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
2.. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3.. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11c
e-bfc1-08002be10318}

4.. On the File menu, click Export.
5.. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6.. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete
on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7.. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete
on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8.. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Method 2: Replace the existing driver
1.. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and
Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3.. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4.. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5.. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm
the removal, click OK.
6.. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7.. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.