Inspiron 5150 CD/DVD drive not reading burned CDs

Hi all,

Just got a new notebook for work and trying to install Visual Studio .NET 2002 off of cd's burned from our library. It seems to be having issues running the vs_setup.exe. Yet if I try to install VS .NET from a trial version in DVD format, things seems to install OK. I also had issues trying to install SQL Server 2000 from CD format. But everything in DVD format appears to install.

Any ideas what I can do to get the drive installing correctly from CD format?

Thanks in advance..
Robin..
2 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 5150 drive reading burned

    Sorry, there is no support for issues with "burned CDs".
    Try using the original installation CDs.

    You can only install either SQL Server 2000 Personal or Developer Edition on
    Windows XP Pro. SQL Server 2000 Standard or Enterprise will only run
    on a Server version of Windows.

    Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/overview/default.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "rsamways" <rsamways@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | Hi all,
    |
    | Just got a new notebook for work and trying to install Visual Studio .NET 2002 off of cd's burned from our
    library. It seems to be having issues running the vs_setup.exe. Yet if I try to install VS .NET from a trial
    version in DVD format, things seems to install OK. I also had issues trying to install SQL Server 2000 from
    CD format. But everything in DVD format appears to install.

    | Any ideas what I can do to get the drive installing correctly from CD format?
    |
    | Thanks in advance..
    | Robin..

    Tried even with library CD's, and the drive doesn't seem to read them either. It has no problems however with DVD format. Is this a driver issue, or media related?

    Thanks..
    Robin..

    --
    It wasn't me coach, I'm innocent.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Sorry, there is no support for issues with "burned CDs".
    > Try using the original installation CDs.
    >
    > You can only install either SQL Server 2000 Personal or Developer Edition on
    > Windows XP Pro. SQL Server 2000 Standard or Enterprise will only run
    > on a Server version of Windows.
    >
    > Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/overview/default.asp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    > "rsamways" <rsamways@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
    >
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | Just got a new notebook for work and trying to install Visual Studio .NET 2002 off of cd's burned from our
    > library. It seems to be having issues running the vs_setup.exe. Yet if I try to install VS .NET from a trial
    > version in DVD format, things seems to install OK. I also had issues trying to install SQL Server 2000 from
    > CD format. But everything in DVD format appears to install.
    > |
    > | Any ideas what I can do to get the drive installing correctly from CD format?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance..
    > | Robin..

CD-Rom Format Windows XP