Ram question

I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade the
ram in a few months?

Thanks Karl
11 answers Last reply
More about question

    > I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
    >cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
    >unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade the
    >ram in a few months?
    >
    > Thanks Karl

    Shouldnt be a problem. The board will support as low as PC1600. Obviously its
    not going to run at its full potentional but no harm will come of it.

    ~A

    Karl,

    I see that the Barton 3000+ uses a 400 MHz FSB (front side bus). (I'm not
    knowledgeable about AMD CPUs. My current A64 3500+ is my first.) You'd
    ideally have PC3200 (DDR400) memory.

    As another poster remarked, PC2100 memory is the same as DDR266. DDR333 is
    PC2700. Which do you have?

    A quick glance at the manual (available for download from
    http://www.asus.com.tw/ ) shows that the memory can be set in the BIOS to
    run at a ratio from the FSB, as for other Asus mainboards I've used.. You
    could choose 66% for PC2100, or 83% for PC2700, to run your RAM at its rated
    frequency when the CPU is set to 400 MHz.. This assumes that the memory
    can't stand to be overclocked.

    Some people will recommend against "asynchronous" memory operation, but I've
    done it in a couple of systems with no performance penalty that I could
    measure.

    Let me be clear: I haven't done precisely what you wish to do. I expect that
    it would work, though.

    If you have PC2700 memory, you may be able to manually set the system to run
    it at PC3200 frequencies (maybe with relaxed timings). If it works as
    PC3200, you may never wish to upgrade it - the performance gains from
    low-latency RAM may not be enough to justify the expense.

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    "Karl" <karl_66@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
    > cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
    > unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade
    > the ram in a few months?
    >
    > Thanks Karl

    "Karl" <karl_66@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
    > cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
    > unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade
    > the ram in a few months?
    >
    > Thanks Karl

    PC2100 memory is only ddr266, not ddr333. You want PC2700 for 333Mhz CPU.
    Double check what the memory actually is. If it is only 266Mhz, then set
    your board to run at this speed and run the CPU underclocked until you have
    matching RAM.

    Matt

    "Sparky" <sparky@home.com> wrote in message

    > "Karl" <karl_66@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
    >> cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
    >> unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade
    >> the ram in a few months?
    >>
    >> Thanks Karl
    >>

    > PC2100 memory is only ddr266, not ddr333. You want PC2700 for 333Mhz CPU.
    > Double check what the memory actually is. If it is only 266Mhz, then set
    > your board to run at this speed and run the CPU underclocked until you
    > have matching RAM.
    >
    > Matt

    Or he could just run the RAM out of sync with the FSB so the RAM runs at 266
    and the CPU at 333 for the time being?

    How the chuff do you think he can do that???

    Ok now for mey next stupid question.... Any recomended ram manufacturers?
    I know I need 512meg ddr400 pc3200 non ecc and un buffered.
    I read in the group some people had problems with coursair ram. I'm just
    trying to narrow it down.
    Thanks for all the input. Karl

    "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
    > How the chuff do you think he can do that???

    By using the Memory:FSB ratios in the BIOS? What the hell else do you think
    they're for?

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Karl,
    >
    > I see that the Barton 3000+ uses a 400 MHz FSB

    My 3000+ is FSB333, there are 2 different versions of this speed CPU.

    "Karl" <karl_66@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I am going to replace my MB with a A7N8X-X and a AMD xp 3000+ barton core
    > cpu. My question is can I use my current momory, pc2100 ddr333 non ecc/
    > unbuffered to get the system up and going until I can afford to upgrade
    the
    > ram in a few months?
    >
    > Thanks Karl

    Karl try it first and see how stable it is if OK dont touch a thing just
    upgrade to ram the same speed as the CPU when you can afford. If the system
    is unstable, personally I would get the correct ram.

    Karl wrote:
    > Ok now for mey next stupid question.... Any recomended ram
    > manufacturers? I know I need 512meg ddr400 pc3200 non ecc and un
    > buffered. I read in the group some people had problems with coursair
    > ram. I'm just trying to narrow it down.
    > Thanks for all the input. Karl

    I've used crucial.com for a long time and find them quite reliable ...
    they guarantee to sell you the proper memory or your money back. Use
    their 'Memory Advisor' at www.crucial.com They also have an online
    advisor. Hard to beat them for service.
    --
    HTH - Fred

    "Matt" <matt@cyborg.plus.com> wrote in message

    > "Phil" <invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
    >>> How the chuff do you think he can do that???
    >>
    >> By using the Memory:FSB ratios in the BIOS? What the hell else do you
    >> think they're for?
    >>

    > It is reported that hte Nforce2 boards do not like having memory run out
    > of synch with the cpu. So its best to keep them to same.

    For a temporary solution it's a more than adequete setting to use; if the
    nforce boards didn't run well at all with these ratios then surely they
    wouldn't be in the BIOS?

    I agree with you that for a long term solution nforce boards definately like
    running in sync, but the OP was only looking for a short term solution until
    they got new RAM.

Asus Motherboards