Hibernate on A7V266E?

I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+. Not
sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I reboot,
and it doesn't wake up again until the BIOS display is just clearing.
(Is there some way around this?)

Anyway. This thing eats a lot of electricity, and I'd like to
hibernate (or at least standby) the system when I'm not using it.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support it. The Hibernate and Standby
options aren't displayed in Power Options. I tried turning on the
"Suspend-to-RAM" option in the POWER tab of the BIOS, although I left
the "BIOS Suspent" option disabled. I figured I wanted Windows to do
it, not the BIOS. But Windows still doesn't offer Hibernate/Standby.

How can I get it? Should I enable a timeout in the BIOS Suspend-to-RAM
option? Why doesn't Windows offer it? I searched in old postings and
other people have definitely used hibernate/standby on the A7V266E.

Also: every time the system boots up, it displays the PROMISE
messages: "Ultra1000(tm) BIOS version 2.01.0 (Build 43)", and then it
searches for disks. After a while it gives up and says "Ultra100 BIOS
is not installed because there are no drives attached."

Is there any way to skip this search step?

Thanks,
Gary
12 answers Last reply
More about hibernate a7v266e

    In article <Xns95868EBF35A49fritzfriicom@216.17.128.40>, Gary Fritz
    <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

    > I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+. Not
    > sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I reboot,
    > and it doesn't wake up again until the BIOS display is just clearing.
    > (Is there some way around this?)
    >
    > Anyway. This thing eats a lot of electricity, and I'd like to
    > hibernate (or at least standby) the system when I'm not using it.
    >
    > Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support it. The Hibernate and Standby
    > options aren't displayed in Power Options. I tried turning on the
    > "Suspend-to-RAM" option in the POWER tab of the BIOS, although I left
    > the "BIOS Suspent" option disabled. I figured I wanted Windows to do
    > it, not the BIOS. But Windows still doesn't offer Hibernate/Standby.
    >
    > How can I get it? Should I enable a timeout in the BIOS Suspend-to-RAM
    > option? Why doesn't Windows offer it? I searched in old postings and
    > other people have definitely used hibernate/standby on the A7V266E.
    >

    > Also: every time the system boots up, it displays the PROMISE
    > messages: "Ultra1000(tm) BIOS version 2.01.0 (Build 43)", and then it
    > searches for disks. After a while it gives up and says "Ultra100 BIOS
    > is not installed because there are no drives attached."
    >
    > Is there any way to skip this search step?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary

    For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has to
    have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
    setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
    HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard PC",
    then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard for it to
    use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI", then chances
    are it will work better.

    If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
    then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
    used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

    Google to find the command line syntax for enabling S3 via dumppo.exe.
    It should be something like "dumppo.exe /ac minsleep=s3"

    Note - that FTP site is annoying, in that my browser won't connect to
    it, but a separate FTP program will. Don't give up, if you have problems.
    The node really is there. Dumppo is a tiny program, and should take
    no time at all to download.

    As for the Promise controller, in the manual, I see a jumper for
    RAID or vanilla IDE, but I don't think that will prevent the BIOS
    from testing for drives. And, there is no enable/disable that I
    can see in the BIOS. Modifying the BIOS and removing the Promise
    ROM code (it would be a separate module) would "fix" it, but in
    my limited testing of hacking tools, I've never gotten the tools
    to work well enough to trust the resulting ROM files. Maybe
    someone else knows a trick.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:
    > I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+.
    > Not sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I
    > reboot,

    I hit PAUSE and read it. Duh. :-)

    It sez:
    ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1004B
    Award Plug and Play BIOS exension v1.0A
    Press DEL to enter SETUP
    11/07/2001-VT8633A-A7V266-E

    I checked the System devices and verified ACPI is supported and
    installed. So why isn't Hibernate available??

    Gary

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    > For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has
    > to have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
    > setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
    > HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard
    > PC", then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard
    > for it to use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI",
    > then chances are it will work better.

    Thanks Paul,

    You posted at the same time I posted my second message, so you probably
    didn't see it. I checked the "System devices" in the Device Manager
    and verified ACPI is supported. "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" is
    listed.

    I don't know how to check the HAL.

    I don't know how I installed the OS. It's been a long time and I don't
    recall the specific option you mention.

    > If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
    > then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
    > used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:

    I got a copy and ran "DUMPPO AC MAXSLEEP=S3" as indicated here:
    http://www.shahine.com/omar/PermaLink,guid,82.aspx
    Then I made the registry change
    mentioned on http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx
    and explained here:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=42&mess
    ageid=49101

    Now I've set my USB mouse to wake up the system from S3, but there is
    no option to wake from the PS2 keyboard, which is supposed to be
    possible. And I still can't enable standby or hibernate. Other people
    seem to get their problem solved as soon as they set the DUMPPO AC
    MAXSLEEP=S3 (or sometimes MINSLEEP ?), but it's not doing anything for
    me. Help??

    Thanks,
    Gary

    ===

    Output of DUMPPO was:

    AC power policy
    Power button.........: ShutdownOff(QueryApps|UIAllowed)
    Sleep button.........: Disabled None
    Lid close............: Disabled None
    Lid open wake........: Working
    Idle.................: Disabled None
    Settings.............: Timeout=0, Sensitivity=50
    Min sleep state......: S1
    Max sleep state......: S3
    Reduced latency.sleep: S1
    WinLogonFlags........: 1
    Doze S4 timeout......: 0
    Battery broadcast res: 3
    Battery discharge 0..: No battery, but enable is set
    Battery discharge 1..: No battery, but enable is set
    Battery discharge 2..: Disabled
    Battery discharge 3..: Disabled
    Video timeout.......: 1200
    Hard disk timeout....: 0
    Optimize for power...: TRUE
    Fan throttle toler...: 100
    Forced throttle......: 100% (off)
    Min throttle.........: 19%
    Over throttle act....: None

    In article <Xns9587E4B48E3D0fritzfriicom@216.17.128.40>, Gary Fritz
    <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    > > For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has
    > > to have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
    > > setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
    > > HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard
    > > PC", then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard
    > > for it to use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI",
    > > then chances are it will work better.
    >
    > Thanks Paul,
    >
    > You posted at the same time I posted my second message, so you probably
    > didn't see it. I checked the "System devices" in the Device Manager
    > and verified ACPI is supported. "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" is
    > listed.
    >
    > I don't know how to check the HAL.
    >
    > I don't know how I installed the OS. It's been a long time and I don't
    > recall the specific option you mention.
    >
    > > If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
    > > then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
    > > used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:
    >
    > I got a copy and ran "DUMPPO AC MAXSLEEP=S3" as indicated here:
    > http://www.shahine.com/omar/PermaLink,guid,82.aspx
    > Then I made the registry change
    > mentioned on http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx
    > and explained here:
    > http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=42&mess
    > ageid=49101
    >
    > Now I've set my USB mouse to wake up the system from S3, but there is
    > no option to wake from the PS2 keyboard, which is supposed to be
    > possible. And I still can't enable standby or hibernate. Other people
    > seem to get their problem solved as soon as they set the DUMPPO AC
    > MAXSLEEP=S3 (or sometimes MINSLEEP ?), but it's not doing anything for
    > me. Help??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary
    >
    > ===
    >
    > Output of DUMPPO was:
    >
    > AC power policy
    > Power button.........: ShutdownOff(QueryApps|UIAllowed)
    > Sleep button.........: Disabled None
    > Lid close............: Disabled None
    > Lid open wake........: Working
    > Idle.................: Disabled None
    > Settings.............: Timeout=0, Sensitivity=50
    > Min sleep state......: S1
    > Max sleep state......: S3
    > Reduced latency.sleep: S1
    > WinLogonFlags........: 1
    > Doze S4 timeout......: 0
    > Battery broadcast res: 3
    > Battery discharge 0..: No battery, but enable is set
    > Battery discharge 1..: No battery, but enable is set
    > Battery discharge 2..: Disabled
    > Battery discharge 3..: Disabled
    > Video timeout.......: 1200
    > Hard disk timeout....: 0
    > Optimize for power...: TRUE
    > Fan throttle toler...: 100
    > Forced throttle......: 100% (off)
    > Min throttle.........: 19%
    > Over throttle act....: None

    Some HALs...
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

    Options for dumppo - "admin" is a useful keyword.
    http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

    Some more results using the "admin" option. Try the commands
    in here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=GTg5a.37372%24na.982997%40news2.calgary.shaw.ca
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MuCcnaw8VZ7XxLCjXTWc3Q%40comcast.com

    Section 4.5.1 of the manual has "Wake Up By Keyboard" and "Power
    Up On PS/2 KB/Mouse". You need to set the KBWK header to "Enabled"
    (and what that does, is connect +5VSB to the keyboard, so the keyboard
    is powered while the computer is in S3 Suspend To RAM state). The
    factory default is Enabled, so it may already be set up for you.

    I think the "admin" option is likely all you need now. The Admin
    overrides appear to be hints to the system, as to what power states
    are _now_ supported, as opposed to when the OS was installed with
    the BIOS improperly set up. As to whether that info is stored in
    the registry, only Bill Gates knows for sure.

    HTH,
    Paul

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    > Some HALs...
    > http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

    OK, my PC says it's
    "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

    Should be OK, yes?

    > Options for dumppo - "admin" is a useful keyword.
    > http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

    Ya, I tried "admin" in several variants yesterday. That French site
    speaks about a hardlock.sys driver interfering with ACPI, but "dumppo
    ps cap" shows no such driver on my system.

    > Some more results using the "admin" option. Try the commands
    > in here:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=GTg5a.37372%24na.982997%40n
    > ews2.calgary.shaw.ca
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MuCcnaw8VZ7XxLCjXTWc3Q%40comca
    > st.com

    "dumppo cap" says only S5 is supported, even though "dumppo admin"
    says the min/max sleep state is S3. No hiberfile reserved. If I use
    "dumppo admin minsleep=s3 maxsleep=s4", it says the max sleep state is
    "S4 - hibernate". But she still no workie.

    BTW I tried downloading the "Sleeper" program at
    http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm. It's supposed to help
    you enable and manage sleep states. When I run it, it says "This
    computer does not have support for system Sleep states. Sleeper will
    not exit." *sigh*

    > Section 4.5.1 of the manual has "Wake Up By Keyboard" and "Power
    > Up On PS/2 KB/Mouse". You need to set the KBWK header to "Enabled"
    > (and what that does, is connect +5VSB to the keyboard, so the
    > keyboard is powered while the computer is in S3 Suspend To RAM
    > state). The factory default is Enabled, so it may already be set
    > up for you.

    OK, if I ever get the thing to hibernate, that will be useful. But
    until I get it to do anything but S0 and S5 (full on and full off), I'm
    kinda stuck.

    Thanks much for the suggestions. Any more? :-)
    Gary

    Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??

    On 24 Oct 2004 15:37:43 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

    >Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??

    Yeah, big sigh. I don't have an A7V266E, but I have a similar Asus
    board, the A7M266. I gave up years ago on getting it to hibernate. I
    upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, installed all XP service
    packs, and tried every suggestion I got on this and the Windows XP
    Usenet groups. Absolutely nothing will get this board to hibernate.
    I do get the option, but when I click it, the screen displays a
    "preparing to hibernate" message, goes blank, and then in 10-20
    seconds comes right back to the desktop like nothing ever happened
    Every time I upgrade the OS or any hardware, the first thing I do,
    just like Pavlov's dog, is test hibernation. It's always the same.

    I don't even ask any longer. Perhaps my next homebuilt will
    hibernate.

    Ron

    Sigh. At least you get farther than I do.

    I don't get it. Other people get this board to hibernate. Why can't
    I?

    My cheap-and-cheezy Pentium 3 board hibernates just fine. But that one
    runs a realtime data-collection process and I *can't* hibernate it.
    The one I want to hibernate, won't. Natch. :-(

    On 26 Oct 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

    >Sigh. At least you get farther than I do.
    >
    >I don't get it. Other people get this board to hibernate. Why can't
    >I?
    >
    >My cheap-and-cheezy Pentium 3 board hibernates just fine. But that one
    >runs a realtime data-collection process and I *can't* hibernate it.
    >The one I want to hibernate, won't. Natch. :-(

    Don't know. I have an uncommon PCI RAID controller made by 3Ware. I
    got it because it's a hardware controller that doesn't impact CPU
    usage much. I've always been suspicious that it's the cause, but the
    techies at 3Ware say that it cannot possibly be the culprit. They
    claim their test beds hibernate just fine. However, this controller
    is almost the only element present since this computer's fist boot.
    Even the CPU has been changed, but the damned thing never hibernated
    even from the first boot, so to me, it seems like it should be either
    the MB or the RAID controller.
    I must assume that our mutual problems result from some combination of
    hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual in your machine?
    Ron

    [posted and mailed]

    Milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
    > I must assume that our mutual problems result from some
    > combination of hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual
    > in your machine? Ron

    Not that I remember. I built it a few years ago but the only non-
    standard thing I remember putting into it was a different CPU cooler.
    I doubt that would affect hibernation. :-) Other than that it was
    just a standard a7V266E with an XP1700+. And then an XP1800+, after I
    didn't get the new cooler seated just right. Ooops.

    On 31 Oct 2004 03:48:32 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

    >[posted and mailed]
    >
    >Milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
    >> I must assume that our mutual problems result from some
    >> combination of hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual
    >> in your machine? Ron
    >
    >Not that I remember. I built it a few years ago but the only non-
    >standard thing I remember putting into it was a different CPU cooler.
    >I doubt that would affect hibernation. :-) Other than that it was
    >just a standard a7V266E with an XP1700+. And then an XP1800+, after I
    >didn't get the new cooler seated just right. Ooops.

    I know it's not software. I tried to get mine to hibernate with
    nothing installed but the OS, and it never could do it.
    Hibernation is something I've just had to live without.

    Ron

    Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote in

    > Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??

    My A7V266E hibernates. But I can't remember all that I did to get it to do
    so - sorry. It was something to do with reinstalling the OS (Win XP Pro)
    and I believe enabling it in the bios prior to the reinstallation. I also
    remember using Dumppro(?) at some stage, but I think that was before the
    bios/reinstallation work.

    Googling on this group might turn up a thread. Probably from around a year
    ago.

    Apologies if that's all rather vague but it was a while ago. I just wanted
    you to know that it is possible and I think the bios was involved.

    Good luck!

    Beware spamtrap - remove the negative

Asus BIOS Hibernate Motherboards