Hibernate on A7V266E?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 12:01:57 AM

I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+. Not
sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I reboot,
and it doesn't wake up again until the BIOS display is just clearing.
(Is there some way around this?)

Anyway. This thing eats a lot of electricity, and I'd like to
hibernate (or at least standby) the system when I'm not using it.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support it. The Hibernate and Standby
options aren't displayed in Power Options. I tried turning on the
"Suspend-to-RAM" option in the POWER tab of the BIOS, although I left
the "BIOS Suspent" option disabled. I figured I wanted Windows to do
it, not the BIOS. But Windows still doesn't offer Hibernate/Standby.

How can I get it? Should I enable a timeout in the BIOS Suspend-to-RAM
option? Why doesn't Windows offer it? I searched in old postings and
other people have definitely used hibernate/standby on the A7V266E.

Also: every time the system boots up, it displays the PROMISE
messages: "Ultra1000(tm) BIOS version 2.01.0 (Build 43)", and then it
searches for disks. After a while it gives up and says "Ultra100 BIOS
is not installed because there are no drives attached."

Is there any way to skip this search step?

Thanks,
Gary

More about : hibernate a7v266e

October 19, 2004 6:18:41 PM

In article <Xns95868EBF35A49fritzfriicom@216.17.128.40>, Gary Fritz
<fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

> I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+. Not
> sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I reboot,
> and it doesn't wake up again until the BIOS display is just clearing.
> (Is there some way around this?)
>
> Anyway. This thing eats a lot of electricity, and I'd like to
> hibernate (or at least standby) the system when I'm not using it.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support it. The Hibernate and Standby
> options aren't displayed in Power Options. I tried turning on the
> "Suspend-to-RAM" option in the POWER tab of the BIOS, although I left
> the "BIOS Suspent" option disabled. I figured I wanted Windows to do
> it, not the BIOS. But Windows still doesn't offer Hibernate/Standby.
>
> How can I get it? Should I enable a timeout in the BIOS Suspend-to-RAM
> option? Why doesn't Windows offer it? I searched in old postings and
> other people have definitely used hibernate/standby on the A7V266E.
>

> Also: every time the system boots up, it displays the PROMISE
> messages: "Ultra1000(tm) BIOS version 2.01.0 (Build 43)", and then it
> searches for disks. After a while it gives up and says "Ultra100 BIOS
> is not installed because there are no drives attached."
>
> Is there any way to skip this search step?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has to
have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard PC",
then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard for it to
use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI", then chances
are it will work better.

If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/T...

Google to find the command line syntax for enabling S3 via dumppo.exe.
It should be something like "dumppo.exe /ac minsleep=s3"

Note - that FTP site is annoying, in that my browser won't connect to
it, but a separate FTP program will. Don't give up, if you have problems.
The node really is there. Dumppo is a tiny program, and should take
no time at all to download.

As for the Promise controller, in the manual, I see a jumper for
RAID or vanilla IDE, but I don't think that will prevent the BIOS
from testing for drives. And, there is no enable/disable that I
can see in the BIOS. Modifying the BIOS and removing the Promise
ROM code (it would be a separate module) would "fix" it, but in
my limited testing of hacking tools, I've never gotten the tools
to work well enough to trust the resulting ROM files. Maybe
someone else knows a trick.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 10:17:00 PM

Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:
> I'm running Windows 2000 on an A7V266E with an Athlon XP1800+.
> Not sure of the BIOS version, because my CRT turns off when I
> reboot,

I hit PAUSE and read it. Duh. :-)

It sez:
ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1004B
Award Plug and Play BIOS exension v1.0A
Press DEL to enter SETUP
11/07/2001-VT8633A-A7V266-E

I checked the System devices and verified ACPI is supported and
installed. So why isn't Hibernate available??

Gary
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 8:28:57 AM

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
> For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has
> to have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
> setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
> HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard
> PC", then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard
> for it to use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI",
> then chances are it will work better.

Thanks Paul,

You posted at the same time I posted my second message, so you probably
didn't see it. I checked the "System devices" in the Device Manager
and verified ACPI is supported. "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" is
listed.

I don't know how to check the HAL.

I don't know how I installed the OS. It's been a long time and I don't
recall the specific option you mention.

> If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
> then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
> used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:

I got a copy and ran "DUMPPO AC MAXSLEEP=S3" as indicated here:
http://www.shahine.com/omar/PermaLink,guid,82.aspx
Then I made the registry change
mentioned on http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.a...
and explained here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx...
ageid=49101

Now I've set my USB mouse to wake up the system from S3, but there is
no option to wake from the PS2 keyboard, which is supposed to be
possible. And I still can't enable standby or hibernate. Other people
seem to get their problem solved as soon as they set the DUMPPO AC
MAXSLEEP=S3 (or sometimes MINSLEEP ?), but it's not doing anything for
me. Help??

Thanks,
Gary

===

Output of DUMPPO was:

AC power policy
Power button.........: ShutdownOff(QueryApps|UIAllowed)
Sleep button.........: Disabled None
Lid close............: Disabled None
Lid open wake........: Working
Idle.................: Disabled None
Settings.............: Timeout=0, Sensitivity=50
Min sleep state......: S1
Max sleep state......: S3
Reduced latency.sleep: S1
WinLogonFlags........: 1
Doze S4 timeout......: 0
Battery broadcast res: 3
Battery discharge 0..: No battery, but enable is set
Battery discharge 1..: No battery, but enable is set
Battery discharge 2..: Disabled
Battery discharge 3..: Disabled
Video timeout.......: 1200
Hard disk timeout....: 0
Optimize for power...: TRUE
Fan throttle toler...: 100
Forced throttle......: 100% (off)
Min throttle.........: 19%
Over throttle act....: None
October 21, 2004 11:08:39 AM

In article <Xns9587E4B48E3D0fritzfriicom@216.17.128.40>, Gary Fritz
<fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
> > For S3 Suspend-to-Ram state, you need a few things. The BIOS has
> > to have ACPI support, and have the states enabled, if there is a
> > setting for that. The OS that you install, has to have a matching
> > HAL (hardware abstraction layer). If the OS install is "Standard
> > PC", then I don't think ACPI is installed, and it would be hard
> > for it to use ACPI states. If the HAL involves the word "ACPI",
> > then chances are it will work better.
>
> Thanks Paul,
>
> You posted at the same time I posted my second message, so you probably
> didn't see it. I checked the "System devices" in the Device Manager
> and verified ACPI is supported. "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" is
> listed.
>
> I don't know how to check the HAL.
>
> I don't know how I installed the OS. It's been a long time and I don't
> recall the specific option you mention.
>
> > If you have already installed the OS, then enabled S3 in the BIOS,
> > then a small utility from Microsoft, called "dumppo.exe", can be
> > used to enable S3 in the OS. You can get it here:
>
> I got a copy and ran "DUMPPO AC MAXSLEEP=S3" as indicated here:
> http://www.shahine.com/omar/PermaLink,guid,82.aspx
> Then I made the registry change
> mentioned on http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.a...
> and explained here:
> http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx...
> ageid=49101
>
> Now I've set my USB mouse to wake up the system from S3, but there is
> no option to wake from the PS2 keyboard, which is supposed to be
> possible. And I still can't enable standby or hibernate. Other people
> seem to get their problem solved as soon as they set the DUMPPO AC
> MAXSLEEP=S3 (or sometimes MINSLEEP ?), but it's not doing anything for
> me. Help??
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> ===
>
> Output of DUMPPO was:
>
> AC power policy
> Power button.........: ShutdownOff(QueryApps|UIAllowed)
> Sleep button.........: Disabled None
> Lid close............: Disabled None
> Lid open wake........: Working
> Idle.................: Disabled None
> Settings.............: Timeout=0, Sensitivity=50
> Min sleep state......: S1
> Max sleep state......: S3
> Reduced latency.sleep: S1
> WinLogonFlags........: 1
> Doze S4 timeout......: 0
> Battery broadcast res: 3
> Battery discharge 0..: No battery, but enable is set
> Battery discharge 1..: No battery, but enable is set
> Battery discharge 2..: Disabled
> Battery discharge 3..: Disabled
> Video timeout.......: 1200
> Hard disk timeout....: 0
> Optimize for power...: TRUE
> Fan throttle toler...: 100
> Forced throttle......: 100% (off)
> Min throttle.........: 19%
> Over throttle act....: None

Some HALs...
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

Options for dumppo - "admin" is a useful keyword.
http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

Some more results using the "admin" option. Try the commands
in here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=GTg5a.37372%24n...
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MuCcnaw8VZ7XxLCjXT...

Section 4.5.1 of the manual has "Wake Up By Keyboard" and "Power
Up On PS/2 KB/Mouse". You need to set the KBWK header to "Enabled"
(and what that does, is connect +5VSB to the keyboard, so the keyboard
is powered while the computer is in S3 Suspend To RAM state). The
factory default is Enabled, so it may already be set up for you.

I think the "admin" option is likely all you need now. The Admin
overrides appear to be hints to the system, as to what power states
are _now_ supported, as opposed to when the OS was installed with
the BIOS improperly set up. As to whether that info is stored in
the registry, only Bill Gates knows for sure.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 8:20:12 PM

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
> Some HALs...
> http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

OK, my PC says it's
"Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

Should be OK, yes?

> Options for dumppo - "admin" is a useful keyword.
> http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

Ya, I tried "admin" in several variants yesterday. That French site
speaks about a hardlock.sys driver interfering with ACPI, but "dumppo
ps cap" shows no such driver on my system.

> Some more results using the "admin" option. Try the commands
> in here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=GTg5a.37372%24n...
> ews2.calgary.shaw.ca
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MuCcnaw8VZ7XxLCjXT...
> st.com

"dumppo cap" says only S5 is supported, even though "dumppo admin"
says the min/max sleep state is S3. No hiberfile reserved. If I use
"dumppo admin minsleep=s3 maxsleep=s4", it says the max sleep state is
"S4 - hibernate". But she still no workie.

BTW I tried downloading the "Sleeper" program at
http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm. It's supposed to help
you enable and manage sleep states. When I run it, it says "This
computer does not have support for system Sleep states. Sleeper will
not exit." *sigh*

> Section 4.5.1 of the manual has "Wake Up By Keyboard" and "Power
> Up On PS/2 KB/Mouse". You need to set the KBWK header to "Enabled"
> (and what that does, is connect +5VSB to the keyboard, so the
> keyboard is powered while the computer is in S3 Suspend To RAM
> state). The factory default is Enabled, so it may already be set
> up for you.

OK, if I ever get the thing to hibernate, that will be useful. But
until I get it to do anything but S0 and S5 (full on and full off), I'm
kinda stuck.

Thanks much for the suggestions. Any more? :-)
Gary
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2004 7:37:43 PM

Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??
October 26, 2004 1:47:02 AM

On 24 Oct 2004 15:37:43 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

>Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??

Yeah, big sigh. I don't have an A7V266E, but I have a similar Asus
board, the A7M266. I gave up years ago on getting it to hibernate. I
upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, installed all XP service
packs, and tried every suggestion I got on this and the Windows XP
Usenet groups. Absolutely nothing will get this board to hibernate.
I do get the option, but when I click it, the screen displays a
"preparing to hibernate" message, goes blank, and then in 10-20
seconds comes right back to the desktop like nothing ever happened
Every time I upgrade the OS or any hardware, the first thing I do,
just like Pavlov's dog, is test hibernation. It's always the same.

I don't even ask any longer. Perhaps my next homebuilt will
hibernate.

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 4:07:44 AM

Sigh. At least you get farther than I do.

I don't get it. Other people get this board to hibernate. Why can't
I?

My cheap-and-cheezy Pentium 3 board hibernates just fine. But that one
runs a realtime data-collection process and I *can't* hibernate it.
The one I want to hibernate, won't. Natch. :-(
October 27, 2004 1:38:54 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

>Sigh. At least you get farther than I do.
>
>I don't get it. Other people get this board to hibernate. Why can't
>I?
>
>My cheap-and-cheezy Pentium 3 board hibernates just fine. But that one
>runs a realtime data-collection process and I *can't* hibernate it.
>The one I want to hibernate, won't. Natch. :-(

Don't know. I have an uncommon PCI RAID controller made by 3Ware. I
got it because it's a hardware controller that doesn't impact CPU
usage much. I've always been suspicious that it's the cause, but the
techies at 3Ware say that it cannot possibly be the culprit. They
claim their test beds hibernate just fine. However, this controller
is almost the only element present since this computer's fist boot.
Even the CPU has been changed, but the damned thing never hibernated
even from the first boot, so to me, it seems like it should be either
the MB or the RAID controller.
I must assume that our mutual problems result from some combination of
hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual in your machine?
Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2004 6:48:32 AM

[posted and mailed]

Milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
> I must assume that our mutual problems result from some
> combination of hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual
> in your machine? Ron

Not that I remember. I built it a few years ago but the only non-
standard thing I remember putting into it was a different CPU cooler.
I doubt that would affect hibernation. :-) Other than that it was
just a standard a7V266E with an XP1700+. And then an XP1800+, after I
didn't get the new cooler seated just right. Ooops.
November 1, 2004 1:22:58 AM

On 31 Oct 2004 03:48:32 GMT, Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote:

>[posted and mailed]
>
>Milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
>> I must assume that our mutual problems result from some
>> combination of hardware that breaks hibernation. Anything unusual
>> in your machine? Ron
>
>Not that I remember. I built it a few years ago but the only non-
>standard thing I remember putting into it was a different CPU cooler.
>I doubt that would affect hibernation. :-) Other than that it was
>just a standard a7V266E with an XP1700+. And then an XP1800+, after I
>didn't get the new cooler seated just right. Ooops.

I know it's not software. I tried to get mine to hibernate with
nothing installed but the OS, and it never could do it.
Hibernation is something I've just had to live without.

Ron
November 3, 2004 7:39:16 PM

Gary Fritz <fritzxxx@xxxfrii.com> wrote in

> Sigh. No other ideas how to get this thing to hibernate??

My A7V266E hibernates. But I can't remember all that I did to get it to do
so - sorry. It was something to do with reinstalling the OS (Win XP Pro)
and I believe enabling it in the bios prior to the reinstallation. I also
remember using Dumppro(?) at some stage, but I think that was before the
bios/reinstallation work.

Googling on this group might turn up a thread. Probably from around a year
ago.

Apologies if that's all rather vague but it was a while ago. I just wanted
you to know that it is possible and I think the bios was involved.

Good luck!

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
!