WinXP on an A7N8X-E won't see a SATA drive. Help Please.

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 8:01:54 AM

I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
drive, already partitioned and formatted, to be used for data, but XP
won't see it. The SATA HD shows up on the screen during boot, right after
the lines about the SATA driver for RAID, Also, I loaded Fdisk from a
Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the SATA drive properly.

In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
Win98SE on it, booted that, and, lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the
SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
normal drive in every way. XP sees the Win98 drive normally, but not the
SATA drive. Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]

I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

More about : winxp a7n8x sata drive

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 1:44:37 PM

Hi,

I've just set up a new A7N8X-E to boot from a SATA drive in WinXP with no
probs.

You just need to make sure that you install the Silicon Image SATA drivers
(v1051 latest) for XP to see the drive.

At a clean install, just press F6 to indicate you need to use a third-party
SATA driver - and make sure you've got the SiImage drivers on a floppy,
which you insert when asked. For an existing installation, just read the
readme file which comes with the decompressed SiImage files.

Get the drivers from SiImage at:
http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A4...

Just make sure that you download and unzip the file:
3x12_x86_rdvr-logod-10051.zip
- then transfer the unzipped files to your floppy (read the readme file
carefully)

HTH...

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> drive, already partitioned and formatted, to be used for data, but XP
> won't see it. The SATA HD shows up on the screen during boot, right after
> the lines about the SATA driver for RAID, Also, I loaded Fdisk from a
> Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the SATA drive properly.
>
> In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> Win98SE on it, booted that, and, lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the
> SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
> normal drive in every way. XP sees the Win98 drive normally, but not the
> SATA drive. Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
>
> I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 1:57:50 PM

Yes, I've done an XP install on a SATA drive with the Silicon driver, and
it worked fine. What I'm having problems with, is with XP on an *IDE*
drive, trying to read a SATA drive.

------------------------------
In article <9m5dd.46$A01.31@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
richardj.harrison@virgin.net says...
> Hi,
>
> I've just set up a new A7N8X-E to boot from a SATA drive in WinXP with no
> probs.
>
> You just need to make sure that you install the Silicon Image SATA drivers
> (v1051 latest) for XP to see the drive.
>
> At a clean install, just press F6 to indicate you need to use a third-party
> SATA driver - and make sure you've got the SiImage drivers on a floppy,
> which you insert when asked. For an existing installation, just read the
> readme file which comes with the decompressed SiImage files.
>
> Get the drivers from SiImage at:
> http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A4...
>
> Just make sure that you download and unzip the file:
> 3x12_x86_rdvr-logod-10051.zip
> - then transfer the unzipped files to your floppy (read the readme file
> carefully)
>
> HTH...
>

> "jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> > I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> > drive, already partitioned and formatted, to be used for data, but XP
> > won't see it. The SATA HD shows up on the screen during boot, right after
> > the lines about the SATA driver for RAID, Also, I loaded Fdisk from a
> > Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the SATA drive properly.
> >
> > In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> > Win98SE on it, booted that, and, lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the
> > SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
> > normal drive in every way. XP sees the Win98 drive normally, but not the
> > SATA drive. Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
> >
> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 12:54:28 AM

> Yes, I've done an XP install on a SATA drive with the Silicon driver, and
> it worked fine. What I'm having problems with, is with XP on an *IDE*
> drive, trying to read a SATA drive.

Does disk manager see the partition in "Computer Management"?

You might have to recreate the partition or something?
hth
Eddy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 12:54:29 AM

In article <cl3uu4$bje$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "fasteddy"
<nospam@nospam"100".com> says...

> "jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I've done an XP install on a SATA drive with the Silicon driver, and
> > it worked fine. What I'm having problems with, is with XP on an *IDE*
> > drive, trying to read a SATA drive.
>

> Does disk manager see the partition in "Computer Management"?
>
> You might have to recreate the partition or something?

Wish it did... :(  . It shows the two IDE drives, but not the SATA drive.
What buggs me especially is that Win98 shows the SATA drive just fine, but
XP does not. Ugh... ;)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 5:04:59 AM

I thought of opened the Device Manager, going to RAID (even though I don't
have RAID) and installing the Silicon driver from there. It worked!

Thank you for your good input.

In article <1098194262.aCOTiabJHiZ9e/9c2HRhNA@teranews>,
phlogiston@neverspam.com says...
> Yes, I've done an XP install on a SATA drive with the Silicon driver, and
> it worked fine. What I'm having problems with, is with XP on an *IDE*
> drive, trying to read a SATA drive.
>
> ------------------------------
> In article <9m5dd.46$A01.31@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> richardj.harrison@virgin.net says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just set up a new A7N8X-E to boot from a SATA drive in WinXP with no
> > probs.
> >
> > You just need to make sure that you install the Silicon Image SATA drivers
> > (v1051 latest) for XP to see the drive.
> >
> > At a clean install, just press F6 to indicate you need to use a third-party
> > SATA driver - and make sure you've got the SiImage drivers on a floppy,
> > which you insert when asked. For an existing installation, just read the
> > readme file which comes with the decompressed SiImage files.
> >
> > Get the drivers from SiImage at:
> > http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A4...
> >
> > Just make sure that you download and unzip the file:
> > 3x12_x86_rdvr-logod-10051.zip
> > - then transfer the unzipped files to your floppy (read the readme file
> > carefully)
> >
> > HTH...
> >

> > "jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> > > I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> > > drive, already partitioned and formatted, to be used for data, but XP
> > > won't see it. The SATA HD shows up on the screen during boot, right after
> > > the lines about the SATA driver for RAID, Also, I loaded Fdisk from a
> > > Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the SATA drive properly.
> > >
> > > In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> > > Win98SE on it, booted that, and, lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the
> > > SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
> > > normal drive in every way. XP sees the Win98 drive normally, but not the
> > > SATA drive. Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
> > >
> > > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

October 20, 2004 6:49:14 AM

jmvcq wrote:

>In article <cl3uu4$bje$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "fasteddy"
><nospam@nospam"100".com> says...
>

>>"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Yes, I've done an XP install on a SATA drive with the Silicon driver, and
>>>it worked fine. What I'm having problems with, is with XP on an *IDE*
>>>drive, trying to read a SATA drive.
>>>

>>Does disk manager see the partition in "Computer Management"?
>>
>>You might have to recreate the partition or something?
>>

>Wish it did... :(  . It shows the two IDE drives, but not the SATA drive.
>What buggs me especially is that Win98 shows the SATA drive just fine, but
>XP does not. Ugh... ;)

It seems by your previous posts, that the hardware side is working
fine. So I agree with your software thoughts but feel something in the
setup might be wacky! In WinXP Device Manager is there a line for "SCSI
and RAID controllers" showing up? And under it is the Sil Img SiI 3112
Controller listed and functioning properly? If not, then the drivers
for the controller need to be installed/reinstalled or WinXP will never
see the drive. If there is no Controller loaded, there will probably
be a listing under "Other Devices" with an unknown listing below it.
If so, delete that entry and when you reboot it should ask for some
drivers. Put the whole gaggle of SATA files in one directory and point
WinXP to that directory, it will know which one's it needs. Another
reboot should allow your device to show up under Disk Management in
Computer Management. Hopefully that will get ya going
Rob
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 6:49:15 AM

In article <Kmkdd.500085$8_6.421697@attbi_s04>,
robc@insightbb.spambone.com says...
> jmvcq wrote:
>
> >In article <cl3uu4$bje$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "fasteddy"
> ><nospam@nospam"100".com> says...
> >

> >>"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message

> >>Does disk manager see the partition in "Computer Management"?
> >>
> >>You might have to recreate the partition or something?
> >>

> >Wish it did... :(  . It shows the two IDE drives, but not the SATA drive.
> >What buggs me especially is that Win98 shows the SATA drive just fine, but
> >XP does not. Ugh... ;)
> >

> It seems by your previous posts, that the hardware side is working
> fine. So I agree with your software thoughts but feel something in the
> setup might be wacky! In WinXP Device Manager is there a line for "SCSI
> and RAID controllers" showing up? And under it is the Sil Img SiI 3112
> Controller listed and functioning properly? If not, then the drivers
> for the controller need to be installed/reinstalled or WinXP will never
> see the drive.

The line in Device Manager said only "Raid Controller," which is why I had
skipped it until now. This time I opened it, and *then* (&$@%*&$#) it said
*SCSI* and RAID controller. So I installed the Silicon driver from there,
using a diskette, and it worked.

Thank you!
!