XP Pro SP2..Permissions problem I think

I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on both
is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator. When
I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available and
there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The Belkin
configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them, hence
the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for non-administrator
wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
"Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up. Belkin
help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't seem
to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
Edit/Delete Message

I've not had any issues like you described using the in-built Windows
wireless client. So my suggestions involves removing the Belkin software and
retrying with the built-in software:

1. Try and uninstall the Belkin client software
2. Check to see if the WZCSVC service is running
You can check this by issuing the following command:
a) net start
b) sc query wzcsvc

Both command should list some info about WZCSVC (Wireless Zero
Configuration) if it is running.

3. If your wireless card is installed successfully, you should see a
antenna-type icon in the system tray.
If not, you need to install the drivers for the card manually. Check
the Belkin CD for drivers.

4. If you can see your new router's SSID (wireless name) then you should be
able to see it as a non-admin as well.

5. Failing all of this, retry the Belkin client software and its
documentation for indication on non-admin issues or ways to use the above
mentioned Windows wireless client.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"Mike Lloyd" <MikeLloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
> F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on
> both
> is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
> administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator.
> When
> I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available
> and
> there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The
> Belkin
> configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
> time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them,
> hence
> the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
> problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for
> non-administrator
> wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
> "Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up.
> Belkin
> help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't
> seem
> to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
> Edit/Delete Message

Unfortunately I have similar problems with my Belkin hardware. I am running a
Belkin F5D7231 wireless router together with 2 PCs, connected via F5D7001
wireless PCI cards, operating system is XP SP2. The symptoms are exactly the
same as described below, I also have been in contact with Belkin -and did not
receive any solution. According to Belkin, the provided Wireless Utility must
be used, an attempt to run the Windows utility did "kill" the high-speed
mode, speed dropped to 54Mb/s. I did not check whether the Windows utility
would have given network access to standard users.

I have tried almost everything, gave extended privileges to standard users,
-nothing helped. Being logged in as a normal user, I found the following
message in the log file (translation from Swedish):

"System discovered that network card \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4e.....} has not been
connected to the network, network configuration has been released (not sure
what this means). If the card was connected to a network there might be a
problem with the card itself. Contact your dealer for an updated driver."

Logging out and logging in as administrator the following message is sent to
the log file:

"System has discovered that network card \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4e22...} was
connected to the network, normal action has been initiated" (the swedish
wording is such a bad translation from the English, it is impossible to
translate back to English...)

Somebody who understands the above? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks /Ekkehard

"Mike Lloyd" wrote:

> I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
> F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on both
> is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
> administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator. When
> I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available and
> there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The Belkin
> configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
> time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them, hence
> the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
> problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for non-administrator
> wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
> "Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up. Belkin
> help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't seem
> to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
> Edit/Delete Message

Please have a look at Sigurd Stenersens advice "Can only access wireless
network as administrator", I followed his direction, modified the key access
rights for "users" (from "read" to "full"), problem solved.

-Ekkehard