XP Pro SP2..Permissions problem I think

I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on both
is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator. When
I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available and
there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The Belkin
configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them, hence
the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for non-administrator
wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
"Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up. Belkin
help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't seem
to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
Edit/Delete Message
3 answers Last reply
More about permissions problem think

    I've not had any issues like you described using the in-built Windows
    wireless client. So my suggestions involves removing the Belkin software and
    retrying with the built-in software:

    1. Try and uninstall the Belkin client software
    2. Check to see if the WZCSVC service is running
    You can check this by issuing the following command:
    a) net start
    b) sc query wzcsvc

    Both command should list some info about WZCSVC (Wireless Zero
    Configuration) if it is running.

    3. If your wireless card is installed successfully, you should see a
    antenna-type icon in the system tray.
    If not, you need to install the drivers for the card manually. Check
    the Belkin CD for drivers.

    4. If you can see your new router's SSID (wireless name) then you should be
    able to see it as a non-admin as well.

    5. Failing all of this, retry the Belkin client software and its
    documentation for indication on non-admin issues or ways to use the above
    mentioned Windows wireless client.

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    "Mike Lloyd" <MikeLloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
    > F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on
    > both
    > is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
    > administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator.
    > When
    > I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available
    > and
    > there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The
    > Belkin
    > configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
    > time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them,
    > hence
    > the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
    > problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for
    > non-administrator
    > wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
    > "Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up.
    > Belkin
    > help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't
    > seem
    > to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
    > Edit/Delete Message

    Unfortunately I have similar problems with my Belkin hardware. I am running a
    Belkin F5D7231 wireless router together with 2 PCs, connected via F5D7001
    wireless PCI cards, operating system is XP SP2. The symptoms are exactly the
    same as described below, I also have been in contact with Belkin -and did not
    receive any solution. According to Belkin, the provided Wireless Utility must
    be used, an attempt to run the Windows utility did "kill" the high-speed
    mode, speed dropped to 54Mb/s. I did not check whether the Windows utility
    would have given network access to standard users.

    I have tried almost everything, gave extended privileges to standard users,
    -nothing helped. Being logged in as a normal user, I found the following
    message in the log file (translation from Swedish):

    "System discovered that network card \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4e.....} has not been
    connected to the network, network configuration has been released (not sure
    what this means). If the card was connected to a network there might be a
    problem with the card itself. Contact your dealer for an updated driver."

    Logging out and logging in as administrator the following message is sent to
    the log file:

    "System has discovered that network card \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4e22...} was
    connected to the network, normal action has been initiated" (the swedish
    wording is such a bad translation from the English, it is impossible to
    translate back to English...)

    Somebody who understands the above? Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks /Ekkehard

    "Mike Lloyd" wrote:

    > I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
    > F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on both
    > is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
    > administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator. When
    > I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available and
    > there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The Belkin
    > configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
    > time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them, hence
    > the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
    > problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for non-administrator
    > wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
    > "Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up. Belkin
    > help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't seem
    > to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
    > Edit/Delete Message

    Please have a look at Sigurd Stenersens advice "Can only access wireless
    network as administrator", I followed his direction, modified the key access
    rights for "users" (from "read" to "full"), problem solved.

    -Ekkehard

    "Mike Lloyd" wrote:

    > I've installed a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless G 125 router on one PC and an
    > F5D7001 PCI wireless G 125 card in a second PC. The operating system on both
    > is XP pro sp2. I installed the Belkin provided software on both using the
    > administrator account and all works OK when logged in as administrator. When
    > I login as a "Standard" user, there is no wireless connection available and
    > there is a red X through the connection icon in the system tray. The Belkin
    > configuration interface reports that there is no radio available and each
    > time I try to activate it and save the settings it fails to save them, hence
    > the "no radio, no network" symptom!! I've obviously got a permissions
    > problem....but what do I need to do to set the PC's up for non-administrator
    > wireless usage?? Ive tried giving the standard users " Power User" and a
    > "Network Configuration Operator" but still the radio did not start up. Belkin
    > help desk fall off their help screen and blame Microsoft. I just can't seem
    > to get a non-administrator to start the radio link.
    > Edit/Delete Message

Wireless Windows XP Belkin Wireless Networking