Help with windows 7 deleting/ renaming/ moving files

leoj91

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hello,about 2 weeks ago i installed windows on a new custom built computer, and everything was fine till about 3 or 4 days ago when it suddenly wouldn't let me empty the recyle bin, or move or rename any file from anywhere, not even my external HD. It doesn't give me any error when I try, just nothing happens at all. Also when i try to make a new file or folder inside an existing one i get a system error 340. I've tried booting into safe mode and deleting/moving/renaming and nothing. Same with Unlocker nothing seems to work. Ide hate to have to install windows again and loose things i have downloaded since i can't move them to my external HD or burn them on a disk..any suggestions?!

leoj91

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Just ran a scan with Malwarebytes and it came up negative

Database version: 5567

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

1/21/2011 5:04:07 PM
mbam-log-2011-01-21 (17-04-07).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 277939
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other ideas?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
You may need to reinstall, but you need not loose your files.
If you do a fresh custom install onto the same partition, (don't format) Windows will collect the previous instalation with all files and folders and put them into a folder called windows.old from which you can access the files and copy them over where you want.
When you are sure you have everything you need you can delete this folder to reclaim the space, by using Windows disk cleanup utility.

leoj91

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Alright i'll give it a try, any idea as to what could have caused it in the first place? Any info I found online included an error pop up but I never got any except for that 340 error when trying to make a new folder. Could it be my copy of windows? What should I do to make sure it doesn't happen again after I reinstall windows?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
No clue as to what caused it, but it's not normal. As for your copy of Windows if it's a genuine instalation disk then it's not the problem.
You can keep your fingers crossed, keep the system updated and antivirus up to date.