SD-RAM mobo's still available?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 19, 2004 8:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still available
new which take SD-RAM?

Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
are broken so it is hard to check.

The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as well as
current ones.

http://www.giga-
byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm

Thanks.

More about : ram mobo

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 9:06:50 PM

Franklin wrote:
> Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still available
> new which take SD-RAM?
>
> Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
> are broken so it is hard to check.
>
> The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as well as
> current ones.
>
> http://www.giga-
> byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm
>
> Thanks.

There are still quite a few places that sell
the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.

In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
winners.

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Franklin wrote:
>> Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still available new
>> which take SD-RAM?
>>
>> Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
>> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
>> are broken so it is hard to check.
>>
>> The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as well as
>> current ones.
>>
>> http://www.giga-
>> byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> There are still quite a few places that sell
> the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
> come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
> The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
> of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.
>
> In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
> products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
> winners.
>
> --
> Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
> Do not remove anything.

Also be aware that the K7S5A is not overclock friendly. I have the PRO
version of it running a 2000+ and can attest to the fact that it's very
stable.
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 12:46:32 AM

Rob Stow wrote:

> Franklin wrote:
>
>> Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still available new
>> which take SD-RAM?
>>
>> Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
>> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
>> are broken so it is hard to check.
>>
>> The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as well as
>> current ones.
>>
>> http://www.giga-
>> byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> There are still quite a few places that sell
> the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
> come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
> The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
> of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.
>
> In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
> products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
> winners.

K7S5A is not an Epox board it is an ECS board. ECS actually do OEM
boards for Abit.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 4:25:25 AM

Ykalon wrote:
> Rob Stow wrote:
>
>> Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still available
>>> new which take SD-RAM?
>>>
>>> Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
>>> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
>>> are broken so it is hard to check.
>>>
>>> The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as well as
>>> current ones.
>>>
>>> http://www.giga-
>>> byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> There are still quite a few places that sell
>> the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
>> come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
>> The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
>> of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.
>>
>> In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
>> products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
>> winners.
>>

> K7S5A is not an Epox board it is an ECS board. ECS actually do OEM
> boards for Abit.

First time around I said "ECS-K7S5A" - no idea why I
later said Epox instead of ECS.

Must of had a blonde moment there.

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.
October 20, 2004 5:34:42 AM

Rob Stow wrote:

> Ykalon wrote:
>
>> Rob Stow wrote:

>>> There are still quite a few places that sell
>>> the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
>>> come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
>>> The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
>>> of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.
>>>
>>> In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
>>> products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
>>> winners.
>>>

>> K7S5A is not an Epox board it is an ECS board. ECS actually do OEM
>> boards for Abit.
>

> First time around I said "ECS-K7S5A" - no idea why I
> later said Epox instead of ECS.
>
> Must of had a blonde moment there.

Check Pricewatch.com, you can find almost anything, and still new :)
October 20, 2004 5:52:21 AM

"Booger" <macamon_black@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rob Stow wrote:
>
>> Ykalon wrote:

>>> K7S5A is not an Epox board it is an ECS board. ECS actually do OEM
>>> boards for Abit.
>>

>> First time around I said "ECS-K7S5A" - no idea why I
>> later said Epox instead of ECS.
>>
>> Must of had a blonde moment there.
>>
> Check Pricewatch.com, you can find almost anything, and still new :)

40 minutes left on Ebay. Currently $38.
October 21, 2004 5:17:48 AM

On 19 Oct 2004, Rob Stow wrote:

> Franklin wrote:
>> Are there any reaonably good SOCKET-A motherboards still
>> available new which take SD-RAM?
>>
>> Asus doesn't look too hopeful but some of the links to specs on
>> http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socketa
>> are broken so it is hard to check.
>>
>> The chooser utility at Gigabyte seems to cover old baords as
>> well as current ones.
>>
>> http://www.giga-
>> byte.com/Motherboard/Products/ComparisonSheet_List.htm
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> There are still quite a few places that sell
> the ECS-K7S5A. Cheap but reliable boards that
> come in two variants: DDR only and DDR/SDRAM.
> The DDR/SDRAM versions have slots for both types
> of DIMMs, but you can only use one type at a time.
>
> In general I haven't been impressed with Epox
> products, but the K7S5A was one of their rare
> winners.

Thanks for the info. I looked up the board and saw it used a Sis 735
chipset.

Have never used SiS chipsets before. Is the Sis 735 a half-decent
one?

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7s5a_pro.html
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 10:27:44 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:17:48 +0100, Franklin wrote:

> Have never used SiS chipsets before. Is the Sis 735 a half-decent
> one?

At the time of it's release, it was the the best of the lot.