Booted with bad chip... now what?

Booger

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004

I purchased an A7N8X motherboard and placed my old chip into it. Turned
out the chip was fried in my old system too. But it seems that it may
have toasted the ASUS board now. Can chips cook boards???

Paul

Splendid

In article <b1fdd.10373$hN1.7727@twister.socal.rr.com>, Booger
<macamon_black@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I purchased an A7N8X motherboard and placed my old chip into it. Turned
> out the chip was fried in my old system too. But it seems that it may
> have toasted the ASUS board now. Can chips cook boards???

Yes.

For that matter, any component in a computer, that has a power to
I/O signal short, could cook whatever it gets plugged into. So
problems like this are not limited to just processors. That is why,
if a friend calls up, and asks "can I come over and test my duff
processor", just say no.

Was the processor working in the old motherboard, before you upgraded ?
Or was the purpose of the upgrade, to fix what you thought was a
bad motherboard ? With Athlons, sometimes you can tell by the
discoloration of the chip, if there was a thermal problem (i.e. chip
overheated or fried somehow). Sometimes you can even see a mark in
the heatsink.

Paul

Booger

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004

Freaky thing is Paul; there is no discoloration on the chip whatsoever.
It just failed, Now the question is, what fried the chip? I am fearful
of plugging another chip into the motherboard so I'll set it aside until
I get my chips in. I will use my old 1700 chip to test the old board.
But I have discovered the answers in the time it took to get a reply

Thanks