K8N-E Deluxe Freeze with MPEG2 Encode

Hi All,

I am having a really hard time fault finding my relatively new Athlon64
setup. Consists of:

Asus K8N-E Deluxe Mobo Bios 1.05
Athlon64 2300 (Not overclocked)
1024MB Kingmax DDR-466
Asus 9600XT Video
WD 120GB SATA (Boot)
WD 80GB ATA (Data)
480W Tagan PS (TG480-U01)
Windows XP SP2

I am having constant system freezes (system locks up, no KB or mouse, no
BSOD) when using pretty much any MPEG2 encoding program I have tried
(TmpgEnc, Arcsoft Showbiz, etc). I have been capturing tv from my digital TV
tuner (raw MPEG2 stream) and using the above programs to edit and compress
the video for writing to Video DVD's.

I can get through about 500MB of video, then the system freezes. I did have
an Athlon XP2500+ and A7N8X-E Dlx and this gave me no trouble at all, bought
the new system to speed up the process (oh well...)

Suspected power supply, memory or CPU problems so tested the PS using a
multimeter - tested fine, used Memtest86+ over 12hrs - tested fine, and ran
Prime95 for 12hrs - also fine. CPU temp never goes over 50degC.

I have tried enabling and disabling Cool'n'Quiet - no change. Tried upping
the AGP bus speed to 67MHz to get the AGP lock engaged, did nothing to help.

Anyone got any ideas? I have also rebuilt the OS with no change.

Thanks in advance

Bryon

"Bryon van Prooyen" <spamdecoy@not.here> wrote in message news:<417634b8$0$23014$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am having a really hard time fault finding my relatively new Athlon64
> setup. Consists of:
>
> Asus K8N-E Deluxe Mobo Bios 1.05
> Athlon64 2300 (Not overclocked)
> 1024MB Kingmax DDR-466
> Asus 9600XT Video
> WD 120GB SATA (Boot)
> WD 80GB ATA (Data)
> 480W Tagan PS (TG480-U01)
> Windows XP SP2
>
> I am having constant system freezes (system locks up, no KB or mouse, no
> BSOD) when using pretty much any MPEG2 encoding program I have tried
> (TmpgEnc, Arcsoft Showbiz, etc). I have been capturing tv from my digital TV
> tuner (raw MPEG2 stream) and using the above programs to edit and compress
> the video for writing to Video DVD's.
>
> I can get through about 500MB of video, then the system freezes. I did have
> an Athlon XP2500+ and A7N8X-E Dlx and this gave me no trouble at all, bought
> the new system to speed up the process (oh well...)
>
> Suspected power supply, memory or CPU problems so tested the PS using a
> multimeter - tested fine, used Memtest86+ over 12hrs - tested fine, and ran
> Prime95 for 12hrs - also fine. CPU temp never goes over 50degC.
>
> I have tried enabling and disabling Cool'n'Quiet - no change. Tried upping
> the AGP bus speed to 67MHz to get the AGP lock engaged, did nothing to help.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? I have also rebuilt the OS with no change.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bryon

I just upgraded to the same MOBO from an A7N8X-DLX like you. I use
Studio 8 to do my capture/encoding and I purposely went to A64 to get
a performance boost when the 64 bit apps and O/S start to appear. I'll
let you know what happens.

ab

TRENDING THREADS