Cool 'n' Quiet, ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, Athlon 64, & Windows X..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 8:05:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hello!

I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...

However, I do see enabled and disabled options for Cool 'n' Quiet menu.
I even enabled Q-Fan, but that didn't change anything. What am I missing?
I am using the latest BIOS (1004).

Also, does this technology/feature really work and cause any problems?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 10:33:57 AM

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
> its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
> Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
> went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
>
> However, I do see enabled and disabled options for Cool 'n' Quiet menu.
> I even enabled Q-Fan, but that didn't change anything. What am I missing?
> I am using the latest BIOS (1004).
>
> Also, does this technology/feature really work and cause any problems?

I didn't think anything was happening either. But a month ago, the fan
started to make a lot of noise. I pulled the side cover and it started to
quieting down right away. I left the cover off and the fan slowed down so
that I could hardly hear it at all. The heat sink was full of dust so
yesterday I decided to clean it up and put the cover back on. When I put the
cover back on the fan started to speed up and you could hear it again. I
pulled the cover and it quieted down. I guess I don't have enough air going
through the case.

Anyhow, the cool and quiet does seem to control the fan on my system. I
didn't install any software for the cool and quiet that I can remember. I
can't see anything in the add/remove. I run WinXP SP2 - and dual boot WinXP
64, SuSE and Fedora x86_64.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2004 7:15:06 AM

Yes, it works. I've run utilities on my system that indicate during light
usage my CPU runs at approximately half it's rated speed and at a lower
voltage (and of course the fans run cooler). I haven't seen a noticeable
drop in performance when running more intensive applications (like Doom 3)
though.

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
> its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
> Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
> went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
>
> However, I do see enabled and disabled options for Cool 'n' Quiet menu.
> I even enabled Q-Fan, but that didn't change anything. What am I missing?
> I am using the latest BIOS (1004).
>
> Also, does this technology/feature really work and cause any problems?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
> said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
> crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
> Ants, line 18
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 12:27:38 AM

ocbwilg <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, it works. I've run utilities on my system that indicate during light
> usage my CPU runs at approximately half it's rated speed and at a lower
> voltage (and of course the fans run cooler). I haven't seen a noticeable
> drop in performance when running more intensive applications (like Doom 3)
> though.

What program did you use to monitor those statistics? Will ASUS' PC Probe
do? I need to figure out why I can't enable/disable Cool 'n' Quiet in the
BIOS.

--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 7:22:55 AM

A combination of PC Probe and CPU-Z. CPU-Z reports on all the CPU info. PC
Probe gets you the temps, voltagtes, and fan speeds.

All I had to do on my board was enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS and then
install the Cool n' Quiet software from the ASUS mainboard CD, followed by a
reboot.

> ocbwilg <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yes, it works. I've run utilities on my system that indicate during
>> light
>> usage my CPU runs at approximately half it's rated speed and at a lower
>> voltage (and of course the fans run cooler). I haven't seen a noticeable
>> drop in performance when running more intensive applications (like Doom
>> 3)
>> though.
>
> What program did you use to monitor those statistics? Will ASUS' PC Probe
> do? I need to figure out why I can't enable/disable Cool 'n' Quiet in the
> BIOS.
>

>> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard
>> > and
>> > its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
>> > Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
>> > went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
>> > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
>> >
>> > However, I do see enabled and disabled options for Cool 'n' Quiet menu.
>> > I even enabled Q-Fan, but that didn't change anything. What am I
>> > missing?
>> > I am using the latest BIOS (1004).
>> >
>> > Also, does this technology/feature really work and cause any problems?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
> said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
> crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
> Ants, line 18
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 6:08:43 PM

I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.

"ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A combination of PC Probe and CPU-Z. CPU-Z reports on all the CPU info.
>PC Probe gets you the temps, voltagtes, and fan speeds.
>
> All I had to do on my board was enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS and then
> install the Cool n' Quiet software from the ASUS mainboard CD, followed by
> a reboot.
>
> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
>> ocbwilg <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, it works. I've run utilities on my system that indicate during
>>> light
>>> usage my CPU runs at approximately half it's rated speed and at a lower
>>> voltage (and of course the fans run cooler). I haven't seen a
>>> noticeable
>>> drop in performance when running more intensive applications (like Doom
>>> 3)
>>> though.
>>
>> What program did you use to monitor those statistics? Will ASUS' PC Probe
>> do? I need to figure out why I can't enable/disable Cool 'n' Quiet in the
>> BIOS.
>>

>>> <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
>> said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
>> crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
>> Ants, line 18
>> /\___/\
>> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
>> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
>> ( )

October 23, 2004 6:08:44 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:08:43 GMT, "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
>Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
>AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
>have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
>workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
>assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.

About The AMD 64 HS/fan.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3...

AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (553KB .PDF file)
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab...

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.14
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/...

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...

hth,
Ed
--
my AMD 64 stuff
http://tinyurl.com/3wx8t

I am using AMD's HFS that came with the Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (retail).

Core Speed: 2202 MHz
CPU Temperature: 50 C/122 F
MB Temperature: 35 C/95 F

I guess Cool 'n' Quiet is off even though I can't change it in CMOS. I did
enable Q-Fan, but cannot really see the differences. Maybe my computer is
always warm/hot. ;)

ocbwilg <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
> Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
> AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
> have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
> workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
> assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.

> "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >A combination of PC Probe and CPU-Z. CPU-Z reports on all the CPU info.
> >PC Probe gets you the temps, voltagtes, and fan speeds.
> >
> > All I had to do on my board was enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS and then
> > install the Cool n' Quiet software from the ASUS mainboard CD, followed by
> > a reboot.
> >
> > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What program did you use to monitor those statistics? Will ASUS' PC Probe
> >> do? I need to figure out why I can't enable/disable Cool 'n' Quiet in the
> >> BIOS.

--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 9:27:48 PM

Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:08:43 GMT, "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
> >Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
> >AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
> >have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
> >workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
> >assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.
> >

> About The AMD 64 HS/fan.
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3...

> AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (553KB .PDF file)
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab...

> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.14
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/...

> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...

Thanks Ed. I wonder if my motherboard is defective with the missing
options for Cool 'n' Quiet in CMOS. Does this feature haev any depend-
encies from other features? I turn stuff off like onboard sound, the
music player, POST speech, etc.

I did notice disabling NIC (want to use my 3COM NIC for Debian) will
disable the RAID stuff.
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The
Ants, line 18
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
October 24, 2004 5:21:28 PM

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:27:48 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:08:43 GMT, "ocbwilg" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> >I just checked the manual for my board though, and it indicated that for
>> >Cool n' Quiet to control the fan speeds automatically that you must have an
>> >AMD HSF "wtih monitor chip". If you purchased a 3rd-party HSF then you also
>> >have to run ASUS Q-fan to have the fan speeds automatically controlled by
>> >workload. I wasn't aware that the AMD fans had a "monitoring chip", I just
>> >assumed that they were guaranteed to be sufficient.
>> >

>> About The AMD 64 HS/fan.
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3...
>
>> AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (553KB .PDF file)
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab...
>
>> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.14
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/...
>
>> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...
>
>Thanks Ed. I wonder if my motherboard is defective with the missing
>options for Cool 'n' Quiet in CMOS. Does this feature haev any depend-
>encies from other features? I turn stuff off like onboard sound, the
>music player, POST speech, etc.
>
>I did notice disabling NIC (want to use my 3COM NIC for Debian) will
>disable the RAID stuff.

I just have a cheap Chaintech VNF3-250 and it's 1st BIOS didn't have CnQ
but later versions do. Have you checked for a newer BIOS?
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

Ed
--
VNF3-250/3200+
A7N8X/2800+

> >> About The AMD 64 HS/fan.
> >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3...
> >
> >> AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (553KB .PDF file)
> >> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab...
> >
> >> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP, Version (exe) 1.1.0.14
> >> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/...
> >
> >> AMD Athlon? 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
> >> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...
> >
> >Thanks Ed. I wonder if my motherboard is defective with the missing
> >options for Cool 'n' Quiet in CMOS. Does this feature have any depend-
> >encies from other features? I turn stuff off like onboard sound, the
> >music player, POST speech, etc.
> >
> >I did notice disabling NIC (want to use my 3COM NIC for Debian) will
> >disable the RAID stuff.

> I just have a cheap Chaintech VNF3-250 and it's 1st BIOS didn't have CnQ
> but later versions do. Have you checked for a newer BIOS?
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

Yup, I believe I have the latest one (v1004) since I upgraded back on
9/24/2004 when I got the motherboard and after a quick test (didn't
test this feature).
--
Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was
taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 11:33:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<Ve-dned74Pd15urcRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...
> I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
> its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
> Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
> went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
I'm sure you already did this, but you also have to select the
"Minimal Power Management" power scheme.
Cool'n'Quiet works fine on my A8V - but per se it makes no noticeable
difference on fan speed, although I use the stock AMD fan. Therefore
I use speedfan to set the fan speed according to the CPU temp.
October 26, 2004 3:18:29 PM

On 26 Oct 2004 07:33:19 -0700, mysterious_capitaine_nemo@yahoo.com
(Capitaine Nemo) wrote:

>ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<Ve-dned74Pd15urcRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...
>> I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
>> its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
>> Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
>> went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
>> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
>I'm sure you already did this, but you also have to select the
>"Minimal Power Management" power scheme.
>Cool'n'Quiet works fine on my A8V - but per se it makes no noticeable
>difference on fan speed, although I use the stock AMD fan. Therefore
>I use speedfan to set the fan speed according to the CPU temp.

Mine changes speed, but not by much.
(CnQ - disabled)
normal - 3100 RPM
gaming - 3400 RPM

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2004 11:37:28 PM

In alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus Capitaine Nemo <mysterious_capitaine_nemo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<Ve-dned74Pd15urcRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...
> > I am wanting to try out the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in my motherboard and
> > its Athlon 64 3200+ CPU. I already installed AMD Athlon 64 Processor
> > Driver (zip file) for Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I rebooted and
> > went to CMOS as shown in the motherboard manual and
> > http://www.asus.com/products/mb/cnq.htm ...
> I'm sure you already did this, but you also have to select the
> "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.
> Cool'n'Quiet works fine on my A8V - but per se it makes no noticeable
> difference on fan speed, although I use the stock AMD fan. Therefore
> I use speedfan to set the fan speed according to the CPU temp.

Is this power management in Windows XP? If so, then I already tried
that. :(
--
!