graphics card and motherboard compatibility?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi all,

I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:

A7N8X-E
A7N8X Rev2
A7N8X-X
A7V880
A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
this one has onboard video but I think it is
slow than the card I have.

The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?

thanks,
charles....
7 answers Last reply
More about graphics card motherboard compatibility
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
    >
    > A7N8X-E
    > A7N8X Rev2
    > A7N8X-X
    > A7V880
    > A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
    > this one has onboard video but I think it is
    > slow than the card I have.
    >
    > The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
    > and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
    > an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
    > if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
    > the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles....
    >

    Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?

    Integrated video that is significantly better
    than your current card - with an AGP slot still
    available for future upgrades.

    --
    Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    Do not remove anything.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
    wrote:
    <SNIP>
    >
    >Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
    >
    >Integrated video that is significantly better
    >than your current card - with an AGP slot still
    >available for future upgrades.

    Rob,

    Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
    *and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Charlie wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
    > wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
    >>
    >>Integrated video that is significantly better
    >>than your current card - with an AGP slot still
    >>available for future upgrades.
    >
    >
    > Rob,
    >
    > Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
    > *and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    No can do. The on-board video is also AGP and
    you can only have one AGP device at a time.
    If a card is detected in the AGP slot, the
    integrated AGP controller is ignored.

    The only video you can use in conjunction with
    the onboard video is either a PCI card or, in
    the case of Asus motherboards, the Asus DVO
    card. The Asus DVO card is something I've heard
    about but never seen. It apparently gives you
    TV-out and the option of second monitor.

    Your best bet, moneywise, is probably to just get
    an AGP or PCI card that supports dual monitors all
    by itself.


    --
    Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
    Do not remove anything.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:39:17 -0500, "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com>
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
    >
    > A7N8X-E
    > A7N8X Rev2
    > A7N8X-X
    > A7V880
    > A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
    > this one has onboard video but I think it is
    > slow than the card I have.
    >
    > The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
    > and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
    > an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
    > if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
    > the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?

    I would suggest that you do not buy a new motherboard if you want to run a slow
    old gfx card. There is no point at all in doing so. Keep saving your money
    until you can afford both a new motherboard and gfx card.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Ken Oaf wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:39:17 -0500, "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
    >>
    >>A7N8X-E
    >>A7N8X Rev2
    >>A7N8X-X
    >>A7V880
    >>A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
    >> this one has onboard video but I think it is
    >> slow than the card I have.
    >>
    >>The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
    >>and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
    >>an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
    >>if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
    >>the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?
    >
    >
    > I would suggest that you do not buy a new motherboard if you want to run a slow
    > old gfx card. There is no point at all in doing so. Keep saving your money
    > until you can afford both a new motherboard and gfx card.

    Not all people use their pc for gaming...

    Roland
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Don't go for the A7N8X-VM/400!! To me different motherboards give same
    errors like random reboots. For me the A7N8X-X works just perfect!

    "Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> schreef in bericht
    news:tfvfn05rjcn62b19qgiiq769f0gv3tcr4a@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
    > wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    >>
    >>Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
    >>
    >>Integrated video that is significantly better
    >>than your current card - with an AGP slot still
    >>available for future upgrades.
    >
    > Rob,
    >
    > Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
    > *and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:07 +0200, Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger@gmx.ch>
    wrote:

    > Not all people use their pc for gaming...

    There is another use for computers??? ;-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Graphics Cards Compatibility Motherboards