graphics card and motherboard compatibility?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 3:39:17 PM

Hi all,

I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:

A7N8X-E
A7N8X Rev2
A7N8X-X
A7V880
A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
this one has onboard video but I think it is
slow than the card I have.

The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?

thanks,
charles....
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 10:09:27 PM

***** charles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
>
> A7N8X-E
> A7N8X Rev2
> A7N8X-X
> A7V880
> A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
> this one has onboard video but I think it is
> slow than the card I have.
>
> The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
> and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
> an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
> if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
> the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?
>
> thanks,
> charles....

Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?

Integrated video that is significantly better
than your current card - with an AGP slot still
available for future upgrades.

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
wrote:
<SNIP>

>Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
>
>Integrated video that is significantly better
>than your current card - with an AGP slot still
>available for future upgrades.

Rob,

Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
*and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
Charlie Hoffpauir
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 11:19:44 PM

Charlie wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
>>
>>Integrated video that is significantly better
>>than your current card - with an AGP slot still
>>available for future upgrades.
>

> Rob,
>
> Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
> *and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

No can do. The on-board video is also AGP and
you can only have one AGP device at a time.
If a card is detected in the AGP slot, the
integrated AGP controller is ignored.

The only video you can use in conjunction with
the onboard video is either a PCI card or, in
the case of Asus motherboards, the Asus DVO
card. The Asus DVO card is something I've heard
about but never seen. It apparently gives you
TV-out and the option of second monitor.

Your best bet, moneywise, is probably to just get
an AGP or PCI card that supports dual monitors all
by itself.

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2004 10:54:56 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:39:17 -0500, "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
>
> A7N8X-E
> A7N8X Rev2
> A7N8X-X
> A7V880
> A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
> this one has onboard video but I think it is
> slow than the card I have.
>
> The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
> and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
> an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
> if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
> the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?

I would suggest that you do not buy a new motherboard if you want to run a slow
old gfx card. There is no point at all in doing so. Keep saving your money
until you can afford both a new motherboard and gfx card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2004 7:11:07 PM

Ken Oaf wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:39:17 -0500, "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have boiled down my motherboard search to the following:
>>
>>A7N8X-E
>>A7N8X Rev2
>>A7N8X-X
>>A7V880
>>A7V400-MX slowest but cheapest, above all do PC3200
>> this one has onboard video but I think it is
>> slow than the card I have.
>>
>>The problem is I have a video card that is about four years old
>>and I would like to be able to use it without problems. It is
>>an nVidia 3D Force 2 MX-200. It is a 4X and I am not sure
>>if it will even fit in any of the above. Will the 8X agp slots in
>>the newer mb's slow down and work correctly with this card?
>

> I would suggest that you do not buy a new motherboard if you want to run a slow
> old gfx card. There is no point at all in doing so. Keep saving your money
> until you can afford both a new motherboard and gfx card.

Not all people use their pc for gaming...

Roland
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 3:06:10 AM

Don't go for the A7N8X-VM/400!! To me different motherboards give same
errors like random reboots. For me the A7N8X-X works just perfect!

"Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:09:27 GMT, Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>>Why not consider the A7N8X-VM ?
>>
>>Integrated video that is significantly better
>>than your current card - with an AGP slot still
>>available for future upgrades.
>
> Rob,
>
> Do you happen to know if it is possible to use both the on-board video
> *and* an AGP card to run dual monitors?
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2004 11:15:29 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:07 +0200, Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> Not all people use their pc for gaming...

There is another use for computers??? ;-)
!