which graphiccard on P3V4X?

Hallo

I have P3V4X Board and want to run a faster card than my old Radeon vivo.
I tried a Radeon 9800 pro, but the computer didn´t start. (I think because
of the power consumption)
I tried a NVidia Geforce 4MX 440 (AGP x8) - it worked, but it wasn´t much
faster than my old one.
Has anyone experience with a DX9 card running on a P3V4x board?

Thanks,
Alex

i'd go with the 3dfx Voodoo3, thats a bad ass card and will run Doom3, HL2
with ease..

"Alexander Feustel" <a.feustel@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> Hallo
>
> I have P3V4X Board and want to run a faster card than my old Radeon vivo.
> I tried a Radeon 9800 pro, but the computer didn´t start. (I think because
> of the power consumption)
> I tried a NVidia Geforce 4MX 440 (AGP x8) - it worked, but it wasn´t much
> faster than my old one.
> Has anyone experience with a DX9 card running on a P3V4x board?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Paul

Splendid

In article <cl9g3o$m22$1@gateway.northropgrumman.com>, "bob shiply"
<dsd@aol.com> wrote:

> i'd go with the 3dfx Voodoo3, thats a bad ass card and will run Doom3, HL2
> with ease..
>

> "Alexander Feustel" <a.feustel@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> > Hallo
> >
> > I have P3V4X Board and want to run a faster card than my old Radeon vivo.
> > I tried a Radeon 9800 pro, but the computer didn´t start. (I think because
> > of the power consumption)
> > I tried a NVidia Geforce 4MX 440 (AGP x8) - it worked, but it wasn´t much
> > faster than my old one.
> > Has anyone experience with a DX9 card running on a P3V4x board?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex

Have a look at this chart.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-04.html

Notice how a slow processor reduces the performance of the high
performance video cards. In this particular chart, you can see how
anything faster than a Geforce3 is a waste of money, if you are
using the equivalent of an Athlon 1000.

The conclusion would be, if you have the money for an ATI9800, then
invest in a newer motherboard and faster processor as well. You can
get good "bang for the buck", with an AthlonXP and an Nforce2 board,
like an A7N8X-X or A7N8X-E. Athlons make better gaming machines
than Pentium systems, and it could be partly due to the FPU on the
Athlon. (I got an A7N8X-E Deluxe and an Athlon XP-M mobile processor,
and a mobile can be overclocked to faster than an AthlonXP 3200+,
for a lot less money. Current 3DMark2001 roughly 18000 with
an ATI9800 Pro.)

This is a sample of a mobile processor. It is $90.
Overclock to FSB400 (CPU clock = 200MHz) and use PC3200 RAM.
By comparison, an Athlon 3200+ costs $169 for the OEM (no heatsink
fan included) one.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=0

As for Bobs Voodoo3, he must have had it overclocked _a lot_, if
it plays Doom3 :)

Paul