Where on my PC is that piece of hardware?

Hello,
I keep getting regular BSODs, I know that I had a faulty
graphics card, but, after replacing that, stability has
not returned yet.
My setup is as follows:
AMD 1500 processor
256 Mb RAM
Win XP Home SP1a
41Mb HDD

On the last occasion I had 2 suggestions by the MS
support site which opens automatically when you send an
error report upon the "Recovered from serious error"
prompt.
One suggestion was to delete c:\WINDOWS\Hyberfil.sys,
but that file is nowhere to be found.
The second suggested solution (which is why I post in the
Hardware forum) was to eliminate the following problem:
"CAUSE
This problem occurs because the driver for the USB
Universal Reader from Lexar Media, Inc is not compatible
with Windows XP."

OK, I am quite willing to upgrade the driver, but where
is that device, what does it show as in the device
manager?
I have gone to Control Panel-->Performance and
Maintenance-->System and then checked the device manager,
but I cannot find anything that emotely looks like a
Universal USB reader.
All I see is Generic Root Hub, USB Root Hub (twice) and
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (twice).
Sorry if my post looks clumsy but that is the best way I
can describe it.
Does the above ring any bells with anyone?
All help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Frankie.

Newsscanner wrote:
> Hello,
> I keep getting regular BSODs, I know that I had a faulty
> graphics card, but, after replacing that, stability has
> not returned yet.
> My setup is as follows:
> AMD 1500 processor
> 256 Mb RAM
> Win XP Home SP1a
> 41Mb HDD
>
> On the last occasion I had 2 suggestions by the MS
> support site which opens automatically when you send an
> error report upon the "Recovered from serious error"
> prompt.
> One suggestion was to delete c:\WINDOWS\Hyberfil.sys,
> but that file is nowhere to be found.
> The second suggested solution (which is why I post in the
> Hardware forum) was to eliminate the following problem:
> "CAUSE
> This problem occurs because the driver for the USB
> Universal Reader from Lexar Media, Inc is not compatible
> with Windows XP."
>
> OK, I am quite willing to upgrade the driver, but where
> is that device, what does it show as in the device
> manager?
> I have gone to Control Panel-->Performance and
> Maintenance-->System and then checked the device manager,
> but I cannot find anything that emotely looks like a
> Universal USB reader.
> All I see is Generic Root Hub, USB Root Hub (twice) and
> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (twice).
> Sorry if my post looks clumsy but that is the best way I
> can describe it.
> Does the above ring any bells with anyone?
> All help will be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Frankie.

Check again in Device Manager, but first select the View Menu and Show
Hidden Devices. However (this from memory, may be faulty!) with the
AMD, all of the USB should show the Via Rev X or later. "Generic"
indicates that there is a Via driver problem or a mainboard problem with
that USB connection. I would try removing the generic devices and
reboot to see if the correct driver will be enumerated. Also, I would
get the latest Via drivers and install.

the BSOD:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop:0x000000D1 (0x8B6DF020, 0x00000002, 0x00000000,
0xF9D0FE6F)
usbuhci.sys-Address F9D0FE6F base at F9D0D000 Datestamp
3d6ddc30

Yesterday I also installed some UDB drivers for the VIA
chipset and removed my USB hub.

Thanks for any further help.
Frankie.

GeoffW

have you tried re seating your ram (worked for me) re
seating all pci devices and generally checking all cables.

Particularly ensure that the ide connections are right

In regard to usb I would unplug all usb devices, go to
device manager and remove the devices there and then reboot,
this should find the existing usb ports. Run for a while to
see if any change, if it seems stable replace devices one at
a time with a reasonable testing time between devices to see
if the problem is related to these.

My bet would be the ram or power supply

good luck

Geoff