A7V & athlon 900MHz

I have a A7V rev. 1.02 BIOS rev 1.009 and recently upgraded
processors (was Duron 700Mhz) to an Athlon 900MHz. The case is
an Enlight with a 250 watt power supply, sound card, nic, nvidia
TNT2 32 Meg AGP, 3 128 Meg (PC133) SDRAM running 100MHz FSB.
The hard drive is a Maxtor 20 Gig ATA 100.
The problem since the processor upgrade is on power up the box
will not POST unless I depress the reset button, then its boots.
The switch settings on the mobo is default (JumperFree).
Vcore is reading 1.78V by the BIOS.
Any idea's how to get this machine to power up normally?

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.
3 answers Last reply
More about athlon 900mhz

    On 23 Oct 2004 18:52:48 GMT, x87papaya-NOSPAM@bellsouth.net wrote:

    > I have a A7V rev. 1.02 BIOS rev 1.009 and recently upgraded
    > processors (was Duron 700Mhz) to an Athlon 900MHz. The case is
    > an Enlight with a 250 watt power supply, sound card, nic, nvidia
    > TNT2 32 Meg AGP, 3 128 Meg (PC133) SDRAM running 100MHz FSB.
    > The hard drive is a Maxtor 20 Gig ATA 100.
    > The problem since the processor upgrade is on power up the box
    > will not POST unless I depress the reset button, then its boots.
    > The switch settings on the mobo is default (JumperFree).
    > Vcore is reading 1.78V by the BIOS.
    > Any idea's how to get this machine to power up normally?
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

    According to AMD's tech docs an Athlon 900MHz typically uses about 16
    Watts more then a Duron 700MHz CPU, and about 19 watts more then a
    Duron 700MHz at full load.

    It could be the 250W PSU (12V rail) can't handle the power requirements
    of all your hardware and this faster CPU.

    btw, the Athlon 900Mhz is a 1.75v part, your vcore is fine.
    Ed

    > I have a A7V rev. 1.02 BIOS rev 1.009 and recently upgraded
    > processors (was Duron 700Mhz) to an Athlon 900MHz. The case is
    > an Enlight with a 250 watt power supply, sound card, nic, nvidia
    > TNT2 32 Meg AGP, 3 128 Meg (PC133) SDRAM running 100MHz FSB.
    > The hard drive is a Maxtor 20 Gig ATA 100.
    > The problem since the processor upgrade is on power up the box
    > will not POST unless I depress the reset button, then its boots.
    > The switch settings on the mobo is default (JumperFree).
    > Vcore is reading 1.78V by the BIOS.
    > Any idea's how to get this machine to power up normally?
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

    Flash the bios. Latest is 1011 (offical) or 1012-something beta (asus
    site is currently not working for me to check). As was mentioned,
    could be your PSU also.

    -GV

    Ed <not@here.com> wrote:
    > On 23 Oct 2004 18:52:48 GMT, x87papaya-NOSPAM@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >
    >> I have a A7V rev. 1.02 BIOS rev 1.009 and recently upgraded
    >> processors (was Duron 700Mhz) to an Athlon 900MHz. The case is
    >> an Enlight with a 250 watt power supply, sound card, nic, nvidia
    >> TNT2 32 Meg AGP, 3 128 Meg (PC133) SDRAM running 100MHz FSB.
    >> The hard drive is a Maxtor 20 Gig ATA 100.
    >> The problem since the processor upgrade is on power up the box
    >> will not POST unless I depress the reset button, then its boots.
    >> The switch settings on the mobo is default (JumperFree).
    >> Vcore is reading 1.78V by the BIOS.
    >> Any idea's how to get this machine to power up normally?
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.
    >>

    > According to AMD's tech docs an Athlon 900MHz typically uses about 16
    > Watts more then a Duron 700MHz CPU, and about 19 watts more then a
    > Duron 700MHz at full load.
    >
    > It could be the 250W PSU (12V rail) can't handle the power requirements
    > of all your hardware and this faster CPU.
    >
    > btw, the Athlon 900Mhz is a 1.75v part, your vcore is fine.
    > Ed

    I have purchased a new Enlight 300 watt PSU model HPC-300-101 on ebay
    After I receive and swap it I'll post the results..

    thx's

Asus Motherboards