P5P800 good choise?

I'm looking for a budget P4 s775 system and I saw the Asus P5P800 for a nice
price. Is it a good choice? Most importend is stability. Or if you have
better choises, let me now.

Thanks!

Werner

I have no experience with the board, but I'd assume that it's good. (I had
good performance and stability with a P4P800, which is a similar board but
for Socket 478.)

Just to be sure, are you aware that the P5P800 is an 865PE board with an LGA
775 socket? It does not use PCI-E graphics, or DDR2 memory. From my point of
view, those could both be advantages, as PCI-E seems not to offer advantages
over AGP at this time, and DDR2 likewise may not be better than DDR at its
present clock frequencies. (Plus, DDR2 may cost more than DDR, although the
prices may become more equal as the DDR2 share of the market expands.)

My own system, for the past four weeks, has been an A8V with an Athlon 64
3500+. I wanted to get the most out of an expensive AGP graphics cards
(Geforce 6800 GT), and this seemed like the best upgrade for the money. This
is my first AMD based system, and it seems to have been a good choice.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a budget P4 s775 system and I saw the Asus P5P800 for a
> nice price. Is it a good choice? Most importend is stability. Or if you
> have better choises, let me now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Werner

Hi Bob,

Any issues with the Via chipset? I had an AMD 1 ghz with the Via
complement and had a host of minor (poor disk performance) to more
serious issue like weird reboots and incompatibilities with some video
cards.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:36:19 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have no experience with the board, but I'd assume that it's good. (I had
>good performance and stability with a P4P800, which is a similar board but
>for Socket 478.)
>
>Just to be sure, are you aware that the P5P800 is an 865PE board with an LGA
>775 socket? It does not use PCI-E graphics, or DDR2 memory. From my point of
>view, those could both be advantages, as PCI-E seems not to offer advantages
>over AGP at this time, and DDR2 likewise may not be better than DDR at its
>present clock frequencies. (Plus, DDR2 may cost more than DDR, although the
>prices may become more equal as the DDR2 share of the market expands.)
>
>My own system, for the past four weeks, has been an A8V with an Athlon 64
>3500+. I wanted to get the most out of an expensive AGP graphics cards
>(Geforce 6800 GT), and this seemed like the best upgrade for the money. This
>is my first AMD based system, and it seems to have been a good choice.
>
>HTH.
>
>Bob Knowlden
>
>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
>"Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a budget P4 s775 system and I saw the Asus P5P800 for a
>> nice price. Is it a good choice? Most importend is stability. Or if you
>> have better choises, let me now.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Werner

It has only been four weeks, but things seem hopeful.

The drive performance (SATA RAID 0 on the Via controlller) hasn't been
impressive, but I believe that it was equal to what I saw on the P4P800.
Maybe the WD1600JD drive isn't the fastest thing this side of a Raptor.

The only graphics card that has been in the system was the Geforce 6800 GT.
The nVidia drivers seem to get along fine with the Via AGP drivers. (I've
tried several nVidia drivers; I'm using the leaked 66.81 drivers at the
moment.) I haven't had to turn off fast writes.

I've read complaints about Via chipsets in the past. Via seems to have
become the lead supplier for AMD desktop systems, though, so I hoped that
meant that their drivers had matured. So far, no regrets.

Bob Kn.

"hal9k" <hal9k@dot.org> wrote in message
> Hi Bob,
>
> Any issues with the Via chipset? I had an AMD 1 ghz with the Via
> complement and had a host of minor (poor disk performance) to more
> serious issue like weird reboots and incompatibilities with some video
> cards.

(snip)