My Neighbor's Network

I just bought a wireless PCI card for my desktop, and my neighbor's network
keeps showing up...How can I get rid of it...It keeps making my network
disconnect, then I get 'The following networks are available'...It's getting
to be a real pain in the ass...

I have my laptop set up wirelessly also, but their network doesn't show up
on that...

--
:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs

Make sure that your own access point *is* broadcasting its SSID. Wireless
Zero Configuration in Windows expects for broadcast to be enabled.

Steve Riley
steriley@microsoft.com

> I just bought a wireless PCI card for my desktop, and my neighbor's
> network keeps showing up...How can I get rid of it...It keeps making
> my network disconnect, then I get 'The following networks are
> available'...It's getting to be a real pain in the ass...
>
> I have my laptop set up wirelessly also, but their network doesn't
> show up on that...

Steve says:
>>Make sure that your own access point *is* broadcasting its SSID.>>

The SSID setting is the default setting on my DI-514...How do I go about
setting it to something only my network will recognize, so the other one
doesn't show up? I'm pretty new to this, and any info would be
appreciated...

Thanks

--
:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:

I said:
>>How do I go about setting it to something only my network will recognize,
so the other one doesn't show up? >>

I think I figured it out...I just made a new SSID name, changed the channel
to 11, and it hasn't disconnected yet...My 'default' network is still there,
but the neighbor's is gone...

--
:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
http://members.cox.net/thebaba/WS.html

Also make sure you have the automatically connect to non prefered networks
option unchecked and place your router SSID in the prefered network window.

"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamnetzero.net> wrote in message
>I said:
>>>How do I go about setting it to something only my network will recognize,
> so the other one doesn't show up? >>
>
> I think I figured it out...I just made a new SSID name, changed the
> channel
> to 11, and it hasn't disconnected yet...My 'default' network is still
> there,
> but the neighbor's is gone...
>
> --
> :-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
> Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
> http://members.cox.net/thebaba/WS.html

I have a similar problem and have been fighting with my Netgear router
and wireless card for the past serveral weeks...!

I checked it last night again, and I was able to scan and find my
network...! It shows the channel as 48(G) with 100%. Also it picks up
my neighbours linksys Channel as 136(B) with 100%.

But Its still not connecting to my network.. It sometimes says, that
the network card is unplugged.. I cant even do 'ipconfig'... I have
assigned IP addresses and also use MAC ID for distinguish my PC on the
router side.... Can anyone help me please???

Thanks,...

Your solution sounds like it is the same- make sure that each network has a
distinct SSID.
While you are at it, change the channel as well, so that each network
operates on the channel most distant from its surrounding networks. Now, if
you are using B and your neighbor G, are you set up to connect to only B
networks, or set up to only connect to G networks?

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com