Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows XP Mode not showing up ?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 21, 2011 9:19:49 PM

I could not find another thread about this problem anywhere. So bear with me.

I have software that I need to install on my Windows 7 Pro PC that will only install on XP. So I followed all the usual directions for installing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode and the Update for PCs without hardware virtualization. My PC does have hardware virtualization however.

I have rebooted many times as well. My start menu shows Windows Virtual PC, but there is no subfolder containing Windows XP Mode like there should be. If I click it I am taken to a folder view that says "This folder is empty". I have tried installing the Windows XP Mode again but there is no change.

In the Control Panel under Programs and Features, the last item is Windows XP Mode. In Program Files there is a folder for Windows XP Mode, as well as Windows Virtual PC. So it would seem that everything is installed.

I am typically good with computers, but in this case I am at a loss..

Can anyone help me get this working?? Thanks!

More about : windows mode showing

January 21, 2011 9:33:21 PM

Whic processor you have? Is virtualization enabled in BIOS?
Score
0
January 21, 2011 9:40:16 PM

Yes, I enabled it and no change. It's an Intel T5600 in a Thinkpad R60.
Score
0
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 10:23:48 PM

You need to install two files to get Windows XP mode to work KB 958559 and WindowsXPMode_en-us_Install_first.exe. Have you installed these?
Score
0
January 22, 2011 11:50:50 AM

pjmelect said:
You need to install two files to get Windows XP mode to work KB 958559 and WindowsXPMode_en-us_Install_first.exe. Have you installed these?


Yes I stated this in my original post. To be more specific:

I have followed the steps from this website: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

And installed these items:
1) Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu
2) WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe
3) Windows6.1-KB977206-x86.msu
Score
0
January 22, 2011 1:01:38 PM

Photo evidence to assist:








Score
0
January 22, 2011 6:34:24 PM

Any other ideas for what I can try??

Here is the message I get if I try to install XP Mode again:

Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2011 2:02:55 AM

You don’t need Windows6.1-KB977206-x86.msu if your processor supports virtualization. You should uninstall this.
Score
0
January 23, 2011 1:20:09 PM

pjmelect said:
You don’t need Windows6.1-KB977206-x86.msu if your processor supports virtualization. You should uninstall this.


This doesn't show up in the programs and features list. I don't recall XP Mode showing up even before this was installed.
Score
0
August 1, 2011 7:58:37 PM

Just an update if anyone has not found a solution for this. If the Windows Virtual Machine is not showing up in your Program list, or through the Program Files on your computer, be sure to go into your Add/Remove Programs > and click on the Turn on or off Windows features. Scroll down to the Windows Virtual Machine and verify the checkbox is ticked.
Score
0
August 24, 2011 3:13:36 PM

You need to install virtual machine before you install xp mode. On the microsoft page it implies that you should download & install xp mode first (step 1) however doing so will result in an empty virtual machine folder.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 3:46:42 PM

Virtual Machine is virtual machine, If you install XP Mode, then it should be in your start menu. Just click on it like any other program and it should start to run.
The proper setup is to install XP mode first and then Virtual PC.
Score
0
August 25, 2011 1:21:11 PM

The guy asked for a fix. I gave him a fix. I had the same issue & that worked for me.
Score
0
August 28, 2012 12:09:48 AM

lp231 said:
Virtual Machine is virtual machine, If you install XP Mode, then it should be in your start menu. Just click on it like any other program and it should start to run.
The proper setup is to install XP mode first and then Virtual PC.

Thanks a lot. You are abosultely right. This worked for me.
Score
0
September 28, 2012 7:04:56 PM

Hi guys,

Have you solved the russap5's problem ?
I have the same - Virtual PC is installed. Virtual Machine is Running (I heard the Windows logo sound, Machine Status: ranning), but no window with this VM on my display at all. :whistle: 

The only thing that could be wrong during installation - I have Win7 russian + English MUI. And I've installed Virtual PC with English language.

What could be done?
Score
0

Best solution

October 17, 2012 11:48:16 PM

jfkenn3dy said:
Just an update if anyone has not found a solution for this. If the Windows Virtual Machine is not showing up in your Program list, or through the Program Files on your computer, be sure to go into your Add/Remove Programs > and click on the Turn on or off Windows features. Scroll down to the Windows Virtual Machine and verify the checkbox is ticked.



I realize this is an old post, but THANK YOU! I have just wrapped up 2 1/2 hours before finding this post!!!! That option was NOT checked.

I changed the settings and am now all set.

Thank you very much.
Share
a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 11:49:44 PM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
Score
0
a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 17, 2012 11:49:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!